30 years Of Knock Airport

gatsbygirl20

Great facility for the people of the West.

Really pleasant and speedy experience compared to driving to Dublin, finding parking, finding your way back to Departures, etc...

With so much unemployment in the West, having an airport close by to take you to London or whatever, makes sense. I know lots of construction workers and tradesmen, fathers of families, who make that early Knock flight and return home every two weeks or so to be with their families...

ygargarin

Fog can be a problem at any airport but some are more vulnerable than others.

Just on anecdotal evidence, I imagine Cork airport is more affected by fog than Knock.

It would be interesting to see comparative statistics on the number of days per annum when at least one flight could not land or take-off due to fog, for all airports on the island. I thought that information might be freely available online but can't find it.

Niall996

There must be more to this story. That just doesn't add up. It can't be legal.

Larry76

For 10 years I was a frequent user of Knock (twice a month for the 10 years). Absolute fantastic asset for the West. However for it to grow further the surrounding road network needs to be improved (dual carriage way/m way from Galway to Sligo and Dual Carriage way/m-way from Mullingar to Charlestown) as does incentives to locate businesses that are airline focused in or around the airport. In those 10 years I had 1 diversion due to snow and 1 due to strong wind.
Monsignor Horan was one of those rare people in life: A man with vision. To any logical person at the time of course building an airport on a hill was daft...............However he could see 10/15 years ahead. The people who emigrated for the surrounding area in the 50's and 60's would be nearing retirement once the Airport was built. This gave them quick access to visit home on a regular basis.......Like all mad ideas it was nearly grounded before it took off but thankfully and with thanks to the likes of Ryanair and Flybe it is growing steadily each year and long may it continue.............

julieandrews

It was some achievement to get it built , remember when they started off and Horan said he was getting a local committee together with the intention of building an international Airport at Knock , everyone in the media just poked fun at and it was seen as a big joke , they had the last laugh.
To be fair it was a really stupid idea at the time in the days before Ryanair and low cost flights. They weren't to know that flights would start to boom about a decade later.

Anyway, I use Knock on a regular basis and it great to have it there and be able to get to it within one hour from my home town instead of having to make a 4 hour trip to Dublin. They could do things better in it though - namely the food is awful, the bar is never open, the toilets absolutely stink, I often get the stink wafting over while stood at baggage claim and they really REALLY need a bus shelter that doesn't let in the wind and rain when you're on top of a hill in Mayo waiting for a bus that's often up to an hour late and you've no idea if it's even coming. I've sometimes struggled to get on the bus when it finally arrives as my legs have frozen so much by that stage I can't actually bend them to climb the bus steps.

Speaking of weather, getting on/off planes can be interesting at Knock as being a small airport, there's obviously no airbridges so I learned a long time ago to always have some sort of hooded rainproof jacket, other passengers aren't so lucky in already knowing this and I've sat once or twice on flights beside poor sods who got saturated on the queue up the aircraft steps. Nothing that can be done about this but it's a definite downside to having an airport on top of a bog in Mayo.

My list above might sound a bit moany but they are easy things to fix and if fixed could turn Knock in to a very very decent regional airport.

gerhard dengler

To be fair it was a really stupid idea at the time in the days before Ryanair and low cost flights. They weren't to know that flights would start to boom about a decade later..
The deregulation of air travel between UK and Ireland was in 1986.
The year Knock Airport opened.

To be fair it was a really stupid idea at the time in the days before Ryanair and low cost flights. They weren't to know that flights would start to boom about a decade later.
A visionary is someone who sees the future while everybody is laughing at them.................

Lets face it building an airport in the middle of nowhere without getting billions in Public money doesn't happen as the many airports built in Spain show.

ygargarin

Speaking of weather, getting on/off planes can be interesting at Knock as being a small airport, there's obviously no airbridges so I learned a long time ago to always have some sort of hooded rainproof jacket, other passengers aren't so lucky in already knowing this and I've sat once or twice on flights beside poor sods who got saturated on the queue up the aircraft steps. Nothing that can be done about this but it's a definite downside to having an airport on top of a bog in Mayo.
I've had to q on the tarmac for Ryanair flights, with full exposure to the elements at Liverpool, Bristol and Aarhus. Aarhus can be a bit chilly!

It's not unique to Knock.

Bleu Poppy

The charge per passenger is extortion. Used it once but never again.
The charge per passenger is a reflection of the demand for the airport and its services. Once these are at normal aviation industry levels the charge will drop/be removed entirely.

paddycomeback

I use it quite often. One thing always puzzles me. The security staff are 90% English. Dublin isn't like that, so why? Is it perceived by the Brits as a backdoor for terrorists, do they insist on staffing it themselves, or is it a private English company who fly the staff in for cheapness?

ygargarin

I use it quite often. One thing always puzzles me. The security staff are 90% English. Dublin isn't like that, so why? Is it perceived by the Brits as a backdoor for terrorists, do they insist on staffing it themselves, or is it a private English company who fly the staff in for cheapness?
This is untrue. Maybe you're confusing airline staff with airport security. Get your facts right.

TakeitAll

Did it ever enter your tiny pea brain that a lot of people from Ireland and especially the West left our country to earn a crust in England and so many relatives will have English accents and even if they have just settled in the West and have no family connection there what about it.

automaticforthepeople

30 years of successful operation, tens of thousands of pilgrims, tourists, returned emigrants. Thousands of flights, plenty of destinations, many airlines, but as far as can be ascertained, still no confirmation of a virgin appearing at Knock.

Has the time come for the mythology of the Knock Hoax to be put to rest with a christian burial?

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
As I recall, about a decade ago, the captain of a Ryanair Gatwick flight — forgetting the height of the ground, and believing he was still at 1,000 feet — came close to landing with wheels up.
Any pilot who failed to gear down long before 1,000 ft and 10km away from the airport is a danger to himself and others.

Boy M5

The reason why flights to Edinburgh has got so dear is the Pro12 Rugby final between Connacht and Leinster
I'm aware but that's an overlay on elevated baseline prices

Boy M5

Did it ever enter your tiny pea brain that a lot of people from Ireland and especially the West left our country to earn a crust in England and so many relatives will have English accents and even if they have just settled in the West and have no family connection there what about it.
It is a strange % though. I'm familiar with the story of emigration (Mayo was a congested district) & of the Irish in Britain & if accurate a cluster of people with English accents running security at Knock doesn't make sense - "because of high levels of emigration"

All mighty odd.

Boy M5

The charge per passenger is a reflection of the demand for the airport and its services. Once these are at normal aviation industry levels the charge will drop/be removed entirely.
Also O'Leary has them over a barrel.
As with other small airports where he gets hard negotiated sweetheart deals - which in a way are subsidies from governments and tax payers.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies