• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

30 years since Shergar was "kidnapped"

Marcos the black

Not sure if "kidnapped" is the right word.. but you get the point.

8th Feb 1983.. I remember as a kid watching/listening to the news... and it was just massive this story. It was almost like a "JFK" or "Lady Diana" moment.. "Where were you when you heard that Shergar was taken?"

Shergar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There were loads of very interesting stories about what happened to him and who the probable thieves were.. but in all likelihood he was killed shortly after being taken.

Also looking back on footage and pictures of the time you cannot but be struck by how much the country has changed in 30 years.. Our attitudes, our outlook, expectations.. and the poverty at the time.. Hard to believe that it was 30 years ago..

james toney

30 years later, and one of the main stories in the news is unaccounted Horses.

Levellers

Do you remember the idiot they had in charge of the investigation? Murphy I think.

PS Just Googled him - Chief Superintendent Jim Murphy. A right clown.

From Wicki "His detection techniques were unconventional and a variety of clairvoyants, psychics and diviners were called in to help. During one interview Mr Murphy told reporters: “A clue... that is what we haven’t got.”

Last edited:
I was a bit older at the time.

It really wasn't that massive a story.

Big, but not a JFK or Diana size.

Bea C

I was born a few weeks later.

I don't think it has changed one iota. It is still a corrupt little backwater, except with bigger mortgages.
I'm throwing a party next week and I need a social butterfly to keep the occasion jolly and light.

If you haven't heard from me by Wednesday assume you didn't succeed in your application for the role.

kkkkkkkkkk

Do the guards have any clue where Shergar went to
or what happened

Marcos the black

I was a bit older at the time.

It really wasn't that massive a story.

Big, but not a JFK or Diana size.
Ah, it was.. Or at least it seemed to be.. Ok not JFK, but it is one of those "where were you" moments.. I'n 39 and I remember it clearly. I would imagine that everyone over 36/37 remembers this well.. What other story from 1983 jumps out at you?

corporal punishment

I was 20, unemployed and my girlfriend's family we're talking about emigrating. I remember genuinely not giving a rat's hairy ass about where some rich dude's racehorse had gotten to.

Popular Threads

Most Replies