300 strikes and your out?

galteeman

galteeman

sorry meant you're

galteeman

Those guys must be very upset getting banned from driving:shock2: that will teach em!

Hunter-Gatherer

welcome to ireland, no really.....come and help yourself to whatever you want, you're welcome.

JimmyFoley

Can't remember exactly what LC proposed, but it seems to me that 3 convictions for serious offences warrant a lengthy sentence.

Iirc, some states in the US have a mandatory sentence of 25 years for those convicted of 3 felonies. That's probably a bit steep, but 10 years would be about right, imo.

Dame_Enda

The silence from the politicians is deafening.

willow68

The silence from the politicians is deafening.
Shur, half of them are legal eagles, and they would never upset the gravy train...

Old Mr Grouser

I know that 3 strikes and you're out as proposed by Lucinda was unacceptable in Ireland but how about 300 strikes and your're out?

Would the Irish people in their wisdom consider such a harsh measure?

Brothers with 326 convictions get 10 years for offences - Independent.ie
There needs to be a proper discussion about the new social problems that are appearing as Ireland becomes a non-violent society.

I'm not joking. I'm an old man and I've seen a bit of life.

Certainly up to the nineteen-fifties, and into the nineteen-sixties you would never have had such situations as you have now.

It was always axiomatic that one of the things that marked out a criminal, and burglars particularly, was that they very rarely got caught. And the majority of them never got caught.

I can't imagine the scenario when some people can acquire the number of convictions that these fellosw have, or how they are still alive after burglaring a traveller site.

If a burglar was caught in the old days his victims would give him a terrible hiding. And if he was a local man then he'd continue to get terrible hidings, frequently, from local people and from the gardai, so that he'd be near-enough crippled if he hadn't quickly moved to England.

And if he was ever in prison he'd have a lot of ill-treatment, of all sorts, from the warders and the other prisoners so that he'd be broken by that and by the bad food and the prison-damp.

It may not have been moral or politically-correct but a repeat-criminal would become what was called 'an old lag': a harmless wreck, broken in body and spirit, very probably a police-informer, well before he'd ever acquired, say, fifteen convictions.

Okay; you wouldn't want that brought back, but what do you put in it's place?

It's only because Ireland has become a non-violent society that riff-raff like this are able to continue their long-term criminal careers.

forest

I believe if you are found guilty of 5 ausalts or mugging you should face min 10 years none suspended. Actually i think suspended sentences should be removed

Mushroom

There needs to be a proper discussion about the new social problems that are appearing as Ireland becomes a non-violent society.

I'm not joking. I'm an old man and I've seen a bit of life.

Certainly up to the nineteen-fifties, and into the nineteen-sixties you would never have had such situations as you have now.

It was always axiomatic that one of the things that marked out a criminal, and burglars particularly, was that they very rarely got caught. And the majority of them never got caught.

I can't imagine the scenario when some people can acquire the number of convictions that these fellosw have, or how they are still alive after burglaring a traveller site.

If a burglar was caught in the old days his victims would give him a terrible hiding. And if he was a local man then he'd continue to get terrible hidings, frequently, from local people and from the gardai, so that he'd be near-enough crippled if he hadn't quickly moved to England.

And if he was ever in prison he'd have a lot of ill-treatment, of all sorts, from the warders and the other prisoners so that he'd be broken by that and by the bad food and the prison-damp.

It may not have been moral or politically-correct but a repeat-criminal would become what was called 'an old lag': a harmless wreck, broken in body and spirit, very probably a police-informer, well before he'd ever acquired, say, fifteen convictions.

Okay; you wouldn't want that brought back, but what do you put in it's place?

Disclaimer: The following is a general statement that may or may not relate to the recently jailed scumbag brothers.

In recent years, anyone - be it a warder or a fellow prisoner - who dares to put a hand on a particularly nasty type of offender while he is behind bars can be pretty sure that something very unpleasant is likely to happen to them, or to their house, or to their car, or to their loved one(s) or to something else that they care about.

The days of old lags putting manners on young offenders are a thing of the past.

Second Disclaimer: The recently jailed brothers may not, in fact, be scumbags.

Old Mr Grouser

I believe if you are found guilty of 5 ausalts or mugging you should face min 10 years none suspended. Actually i think suspended sentences should be removed
If the police and the prisons weren't so soft these dirty articles would be broken and harmless after four or five years at most.

New Threads

Most Replies