• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

37% favour more 'European integration', 61% say no - Ipsos MRBI

He3

An Irish Times commissioned opinion poll finds that just over one third of respondents favour further 'European integration', with 61% opposed, either saying the process has gone far enough (45%) or too far already (16%). Two per cent say they have no opinion on this.

Enda Kenny and Michael Noonan have said they see further integration either as a good thing (EK) or inevitable (MN). That position is at odds with public opinion based on these findings.

74% are content to see Ireland remain in the EU, 14% are not and 12% say they have no opinion.

That makes the headline - Vast majority happy that Ireland is in EU - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 27, 2012

No previous polls are presented for comparison in the online article.

As banking union looks capable of splitting the EU, there may be a question over how meaningful the term 'European integration' is in this survey.

Last edited:

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
What if the public were asked about a Banking Union ? They'd probably say yes !

The real test for Irish attitudes will be what happens in the UK

cYp

BlackLion

I am a fan of europe but having to integrate cause we have to is something that boils my blood. Europe was set up to stop bullies yet they have become bullies. Kenny is going all out come the 6 months of Ireland gets the presidency of the council of europe. Showing off like and me thinks it would be a good time to have a few protests.

Dame_Enda

I agree but since when has Europe cared what the citizen thinks? I will continue to say "Non" but the elites are determined to foist the Superstate on us come hell or high water and only the rediscovery of the backbone of the Men and Women of 1916 will prevent it happening. We must discover the arsenal of peaceful resistance against the economic gunboat-diplomacy (the latter day Helga if you will) of Merkel and Brussels. The GPO of Irish sovereignty is under heavy bombardment and will shortly be reduced to rubble unless we resist.

Ribeye

More Eurobot propaganda from the Toilet Paper of Record!

stopdoingstuff

37%....of a sample conducted in the vicinity of the Institute of International and European Affairs.....

Gracchus

We should leave and join EFTA

jmcc

37%....of a sample conducted in the vicinity of the Institute of International and European Affairs.....
So is this the Quantum Research of the Irish Times? Must be bad if they found that people didn't believe the EUnuch propaganda.

Regards...jmcc

Marcos the black

Bring it on.. We have proved ourselves totally incapable of running our own country.. Cute hoorism and gombeen politics is the order of the day for the vast majority of Irish people.
In the UK and most other countries they elect people who will legislate and run the country. In Ireland we vote for a guy cos he got your Aunt Mary in hospital, and then went to the funeral.... Or fixed the pothole outside the house etc...
And look where it got us! Look at the quality of our TD's... Look at the amount of corruption and abuse of power that was and still is accepted on a daily basis.

As a country we have failed miserably to grow up, and now we need (financially at least) adult supervision..

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Bring it on.. We have proved ourselves totally incapable of running our own country.. Cute hoorism and gombeen politics is the order of the day for the vast majority of Irish people.
In the UK and most other countries they elect people who will legislate and run the country. In Ireland we vote for a guy cos he got your Aunt Mary in hospital, and then went to the funeral.... Or fixed the pothole outside the house etc...
And look where it got us! Look at the quality of our TD's... Look at the amount of corruption and abuse of power that was and still is accepted on a daily basis.

As a country we have failed miserably to grow up, and now we need (financially at least) adult supervision..

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Al.

I am a fan of Europe but having to integrate cause we have to is something that boils my blood. Europe was set up to stop bullies yet they have become bullies. Kenny is going all out come the 6 months of Ireland gets the presidency of the Council of Europe. Showing off like and me thinks it would be a good time to have a few protests.
Please stop saying "Europe" when you mean the EU. Europe has existed for many millennia, because it is a continent. The EU, not so long. And I do not know where you got the notion that the EU was "set up to stop bullies".

(I noticed that you got the Council of Europe and the "Council of the European Union" aka Council of Ministers mixed up as well.)

Al.

Slave mentality to the nth power. Where do you think today's corruption and abuse of power came from? That's right: the EU! So you think the fix is to hand Ireland's sovereignty over to a bunch that are far more corrupt than the native politicians?

You've been brainwashed well and good. Doubleplus good, perhaps.

Howya

A better question to ask is - would we still want to be part of EU if the UK pulled out of Europe?

Howya

realistic1

An Irish Times commissioned opinion poll finds that just over one third of respondents favour further 'European integration', with 61% opposed, either saying the process has gone far enough (45%) or too far already (16%). Two per cent say they have no opinion on this.

Enda Kenny and Michael Noonan have said they see further integration either as a good thing (EK) or inevitable (MN). That position is at odds with public opinion based on these findings.

74% are content to see Ireland remain in the EU, 14% are not and 12% say they have no opinion.

That makes the headline - Vast majority happy that Ireland is in EU - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 27, 2012

No previous polls are presented for comparison in the online article.

As banking union looks capable of splitting the EU, there may be a question over how meaningful the term 'European integration' is in this survey.
So that settles it, our Government will plough ahead regardless of public opinion.

Clanrickard

Up to 20 percent of the 26 county artificial Free State population are now foreigners and this all happened in just 5 years.

Stupid southern Irish people.
Link?

daveL

Slave mentality to the nth power. Where do you think today's corruption and abuse of power came from? That's right: the EU! So you think the fix is to hand Ireland's sovereignty over to a bunch that are far more corrupt than the native politicians?

You've been brainwashed well and good. Doubleplus good, perhaps.
really?

care to volunteer a few instances?

Rocky

A better question to ask is - would we still want to be part of EU if the UK pulled out of Europe?
I imagine the answer would still be a very strong yes.

If we did leave the EU in response to the UK leaving, seriously we might as well just rejoin the UK. It would basically be the same thing and have largely the same effect.

Con Gallagher

There is room for a nationalist/republican party to sound a note of caution on further integration (and I don't mean in a UKIP or BNP way). Oddly, FF is more strongly integrationist in its view of the other 26 countries than it is with the other 6 counties (perhaps seeing the former achieve the latter).