• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

3D Printed Guns

Feelinglost

Cody R Wilson has figured out how to print a semi-automatic rifle from the comfort of his own home. Now he's putting all the information online so that others will join him.

This is a story about the rapid evolution of a technology that has forced the American legal system to play catch up. Cody Wilson, a 24 year old University of Texas Law student, is an advocate for the open source production of firearms using 3D printing technology. This makes him a highly controversial figure on both sides of the gun control issue.

3D printing is set to boom, it’s clear that Wilson and company have changed the boundaries of what that boom will bring.

[video=youtube;DconsfGsXyA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DconsfGsXyA[/video]

cobhguy

Ya now all we need is a 3D printer that can produce a gun that wont explode when a bullet is shot from it.

Nemesiscorporation

Cody R Wilson has figured out how to print a semi-automatic rifle from the comfort of his own home. Now he's putting all the information online so that others will join him.

This is a story about the rapid evolution of a technology that has forced the American legal system to play catch up. Cody Wilson, a 24 year old University of Texas Law student, is an advocate for the open source production of firearms using 3D printing technology. This makes him a highly controversial figure on both sides of the gun control issue.

3D printing is set to boom, it’s clear that Wilson and company have changed the boundaries of what that boom will bring.

[video=youtube;DconsfGsXyA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DconsfGsXyA[/video]
I am an advocate of 3D printing and strongly support the technology being widely used.

Cody Wilson is a complete and utter idiot for putting such a thing out on the net.

I could easily work out how to do what he did on my own, but would never put such a thing out on the internet.

Cody Wilson is as irresponsible as the morons who unleased the Stuxnet virus on the internet.

I would support banning him from ever having an internet connection again.

Nemesiscorporation

Can you print ammunition?
Technically it is possible, but the price of the equipment to build a printer capable of that would be well over the €10million mark at present. On top of that you would have to illegally acquire gunpowder for the printer. It would not be worth the bother.

Feelinglost

Can you print ammunition?
According to one of one the pioneers of the open design movement, Ronen Kadushin, it is indeed possible.

ManInTheArena

The premise of 3D printed guns is wildly overstated. What these guys are actually producing is a small plastic PART of a gun (the lower receiver) which is far from "a gun" as most people would understand it. It is legally constituted as a gun in the U.S. as this part is where the serial numbers are usually stamped.

I would attach some links outlining the limitations of the 3D printing process in relation to producing a gun, but I am not yet in the magical circle of trust that allows me to carry on such nefarious activities.

emulator

Jesus....

Don't let Hitch 22 see this..... that'll be the end of him altogether.

Technically it is possible, but the price of the equipment to build a printer capable of that would be well over the €10million mark at present. On top of that you would have to illegally acquire gunpowder for the printer. It would not be worth the bother.
I know fup all about 3D printing.

Do you have any good links about it?

Pretty please?

Feelinglost

The premise of 3D printed guns is wildly overstated. What these guys are actually producing is a small plastic PART of a gun (the lower receiver) which is far from "a gun" as most people would understand it. It is legally constituted as a gun in the U.S. as this part is where the serial numbers are usually stamped.

I would attach some links outlining the limitations of the 3D printing process in relation to producing a gun, but I am not yet in the magical circle of trust that allows me to carry on such nefarious activities.
Given the speed of advances in technology who can say how advanced this technology will be in 10..20..30.. years. I can imagine how this kind of technology would terrify governments the world over.

drummed

Jesus....

Don't let Hitch 22 see this..... that'll be the end of him altogether.
Damn you. Just logged on and headed straight here to post just that.

ManInTheArena

Given the speed of advances in technology who can say how advanced this technology will be in 10..20..30.. years. I can imagine how this kind of technology would terrify governments the world over.
True, it could be possible some years from now, but I was referring to current technology - there is no 3D printing technology available at present which could produce (or even come close to producing) an actual gun.

Willard Foxton has a good article in The Telegraph about it, called "If you can 3D print a gun at home, you're welcome to shoot me with it" easily found via google.

Nemesiscorporation

This technology already is scarring governments and large corporations worldwide.

The technology is where home computing was about 2 years before the Acorn Atom and Sinclair ZX81, which caused the home computing revolution to take off. Governments and large companies know that and know that killing this technology will be harder than replacing good Acorn RISC computing and hard core programming with Windows based nonsense such as MS office.

This technology is dragging back hardcore programming again and the inventors completely lost control of it once the idea hit the internet chat channels. All sorts of branches of the technology are popping up everywhere. The fact that the computers that are being used for this all seem to be Pandaboard, Raspberry Pi and Cubieboard based all running RISC OS 6 and using BasicIV dropping into machine code for controlling the stepper motors and printer assemblies tells me we are just picking up where we left off in schools in 1988 when the BBC A3000 was the last BBC computer in schools north and south, before the revertion to MS based nonsense.

For example I have been working out how to produce complex metal shapes in hard to produce alloys and making progress. I have a nutty idea about ceramics and metals, that appears to actually work.

There are teenagers out there light years ahead of me and hardware hackers have teamed up with physical chemists to come up with ideas that I have bother getting my head around and I am a sci-fi fan.

This technology is the real information revolution as it will make it real in 3D in your living room.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
I know fup all about 3D printing.

Do you have any good links about it?

Pretty please?
Essentially, it's an early and primitive version of this

Nemesiscorporation

Essentially, it's an early and primitive version of this

In a way you are right.

A replicator is a long way off though.

Love the reprap designs.

Am slowly working out the bugs on my A0 sized 3D plastics printer.

Have started to work on printers of cermanics and one for metals. Complex, but doable. Will not be able to scale above A5 for a long time though due to cost and the massive power requirements. Think I can reduce the power needed, but it is still extremely complex to the point of things always going wrong.

Nemesiscorporation

True, it could be possible some years from now, but I was referring to current technology - there is no 3D printing technology available at present which could produce (or even come close to producing) an actual gun.

Willard Foxton has a good article in The Telegraph about it, called "If you can 3D print a gun at home, you're welcome to shoot me with it" easily found via google.
On that you are wrong. Sheer expense is the only barrier.

Producing a gun by 3D printing would be more expensive than buying a freight ship, filling it with guns, then sailing it home.

Willard Foxton is a few generations of technology behind the times. This technology is moving faster than computing in the 80's.

pragmaticapproach

Fair play to him.