• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

4 penalty points for being 20kph over the speed limit...reasonable?

ShoutingIsLeadership

More penalty point changes on the way, courtesy of Shane Ross.

Fail to have your licence with you when asked by a Garda, it's an automatic 80 euro fine and two penalty points. All Garda discretion removed.

Speeding punishments are to be graduated. From the Irish Times -

Anyone caught 10 kilometres per hour over the speed limit would receive two penalty points and an €80 fine; anyone 20 kilometres over would get four points and a €150 fine; and those 30 kilometres over would get six points and a €200 fine.

So, inadvertently/carelessly do 120 on a 100kph section of a motorway? Have 4 points. Do 120 in 90? Have 6 points.

There's a stretch of road on the N11, where it suddenly drops from 100 to 60. Get done there and you'll get 6 points.

Is this excessive? Statistically, motorways are the safest roads to travel on.

Surely someone doing 50 past a school in a 30 area should get more points than somebody doing 120 in a 90 on a main road?

Drivers face two penalty points, €80 fine if stopped without licence

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
While speeding is speeding, I reckon at some point, a little thought ought to be given to implementing some sort of "% of the limit" punishment. As you say, 50 in a 30 is more serious than 120 in a 100.

On the license thing, I've no problem with it, however, don't kid yourself that Garda discretion has been removed.

Btw, for this one:

So, inadvertently/carelessly do 120 on a 100kph section of a motorway? Have 4 points.
Better to cop to the speeding than to admit that you were guilty of careless driving. More points, bigger fine, and a day in court.

JimmyFoley

Fail to have your licence with you when asked by a Garda, it's an automatic 80 euro fine and two penalty points. All Garda discretion removed.

Anyone caught 10 kilometres per hour over the speed limit would receive two penalty points and an €80 fine; anyone 20 kilometres over would get four points and a €150 fine; and those 30 kilometres over would get six points and a €200 fine.

So, inadvertently/carelessly do 120 on a 100kph section of a motorway? Have 4 points. Do 120 in 90? Have 6 points.

There's a stretch of road on the N11, where it suddenly drops from 100 to 60. Get done there and you'll get 6 points.

Is this excessive? Statistically, motorways are the safest roads to travel on.

Surely someone doing 50 past a school in a 30 area should get more points than somebody doing 120 in a 90 on a main road?

The older I get, the more hardcore my attitude towards road safety becomes.

I'm sure there will always be sanctions that are not absolutely 100% 'consistent' or 'proportionate', but I'm not really bothered about it.

Don't drink and drive. Don't speed. Don't use your phone...it's actually very easy to avoid coming to Old Bill's attention on the road and, consequently, having penalty points put on your licence.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com

you won't do it again and the points will expire...

valamhic

While speeding is speeding, I reckon at some point, a little thought ought to be given to implementing some sort of "% of the limit" punishment. As you say, 50 in a 30 is more serious than 120 in a 100.

On the license thing, I've no problem with it, however, don't kid yourself that Garda discretion has been removed.

Btw, for this one:

Better to cop to the speeding than to admit that you were guilty of careless driving. More points, bigger fine, and a day in court.
Careless driving for normal speeding offences will not wash.

valamhic

I'm sure there will always be sanctions that are not absolutely 100% 'consistent' or 'proportionate', but I'm not really bothered about it.

Don't drink and drive. Don't speed. Don't use your phone...it's actually very easy to avoid coming to Old Bill's attention on the road and, consequently, having penalty points put on your licence.
A modern driving licence is a tiny 4 square inches of plastic, it's easy to inadvertently mislay it. The traditional law allows 10 days to produce it at a Garda Station of your choice. So when this comes in, it effectively means if you mislay it for a few days and then find it again, you can't drive in the interm or if you do you can get penalty points and a fine. That does nothing to improve road safety, it advances Ross's police state. Why doesn't he ban driving altogether.

valamhic

Our current government is typical of the type of Global communist green left mass migration liberal politics led by the US Democratic Party. They hate the people, they hate the motorist and are determined to drive him off the road, onto public transport and into electric cars. If allowed they will continue with this. If caught go to the local county council and demand to see the bye laws relating to speed limit locations. See if the place you were caught is included, it may not be.

Ross went for election pn a promise to improve the situation with the appointment of Judges and the Horrid Garda Siochana leadership. He could have demanded the Justice port folio, instead the changed tack to a softer touch, one he thinks can't fight bank, the unfortunate motorist.

willow68

Shane Ross is the kind of guy who is only going to be happy when the pleb tucks their combined forelock again. While he whizzes by us in a chauffeur-driven Mercedes. How I wished we had more hi-vis vest in this country.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Easy? You've obviously never been on the N11 and hit that 60 zone. Cars crawling all over one's rear if one tries to keep to the 60

ShoutingIsLeadership

Pay attention to what you are doing and don't fnckin speed then. Simples.
Are you familiar with Irish road signage? Are you familiar with Irish roadusers?

That aside, your simplistic answer doesn't address the question as to whether punishing speeding on a motorway in this manner will teuly address road safety issues, such as those I mentioned at schools

Orbit v2

Graduated penalties are a good idea. So, why did Ross get rid of the one for drink driving?

Getting rid of the discretion for presenting ones license is a stupid idea. Maybe, when a significant percentage of motorists have the new credit card sized license, it would be reasonable, but it is not currently reasonable to expect motorists to have their driving license with them all the time.

Ross is not interested in doing the right thing or solving the hard problems like the drivers who don't bother with tax or insurance at all. He just wants to project a tough guy image, which probably appeals to the FG law and order base anyway. He doesn't have the wit or imagination to do anything other than hammering the law-abiding citizen.

che schifo

Not sure about the driving licence rule, but the intent of the rest is fair enough. The current rules don't seem to be enforced much, so don't see what stiffer penalties will do. I'd be more inclined to do away with the bits of paper on the windscreen that the guards seem to spend a lot of effort checking. Make those checks and gives automatic based on the registered keeper of the car and free up some guards' for the other stuff.

valamhic

Shane Ross is the kind of guy who is only going to be happy when the pleb tucks their combined forelock again. While he whizzes by us in a chauffeur-driven Mercedes. How I wished we had more hi-vis vest in this country.
Exactly : Join Irexit, the Irish Freedom Party and put this aspiring Travelion out

valamhic

Graduated penalties are a good idea. So, why did Ross get rid of the one for drink driving?

Getting rid of the discretion for presenting ones license is a stupid idea. Maybe, when a significant percentage of motorists have the new credit card sized license, it would be reasonable, but it is not currently reasonable to expect motorists to have their driving license with them all the time.

Ross is not interested in doing the right thing or solving the hard problems like the drivers who don't bother with tax or insurance at all. He just wants to project a tough guy image, which probably appeals to the FG law and order base anyway. He doesn't have the wit or imagination to do anything other than hammering the law-abiding citizen.
Be Jazus Orbit, I can't believe you said that, but I have to acknowledge you did and fair play. It reflects a class structured mentality by this west Brit. A snob.

Northsideman

Lord Ross really is doing his best to impede his own re-election. Leo played a good hand putting him in that post, when he fails I'll raise a glass to that result.

che schifo

Agree with SiL on the speeding past schools. I noticed some traffic monitoring was set up near a school a few towns over. The road is an 80 zone, with the warning when children are coming and going. Three sets of those cables they stretch across the road to count cars, in pairs do I assume that's to monitor speed as well. The school is just after a stretch of road that's good for overtaking, so cars fly around the bend and past the school. Presumably a new speed limit is coming and probably a speed van..

Orbit v2

Irish Times said:
If I'm not mistaken, the "graduation" here is to keep things exactly the same for the unfortunates who are caught 1-2 km over the 60km limit, but just to jack them up for the more severe case. LOL. If he had the tiniest bit of imagination he would have reduced the financial penalty for <10km over the limit. 2 points are still 2 points so you can't afford to keep doing that..

valamhic

Be Jazus Orbit, I can't believe you said that, but I have to acknowledge you did and fair play. It reflects a class structured mentality by this west Brit. A snob. One thing is for sure, I will use it to alarm the people. I'll tell a few porkie pies about him too and add a few bits on . Swing voters over to may side. There is a revolt on the drink driving Zero tolerance. Right or wrong I will capitalize on it to do damage.