4 TDs granted expenses despite not incurring them

edor

It looks like James Reilly is going to have to climb down off that very high horse of his. Named in the same trough as John O'Donoghue - very silly man. I liked his ethics. No more I'm afraid. Give them back or stop taking the moral high ground I say.

loner

Nice to see that in these straitened times some of our public representatives are able to get away for rest and recreation in foreign climes away from the doom and gloom that many of them have helped to create here-- subsequent appeals to the Ceann C omhairle and his readiness to accede to those appeals indicates that something is very rotten in the State of Ireland.We ,the taxpayers who pay their expenses deserve and should get an explanation from all those who appealed and from the Ceann Comhairle who allowed the appeals.

Hewson

Just wonder how claims of this nature would be responded to in any other walk of life here or anywhere else.
I'm sure you know the answer to that. As another poster pointed out, if anyone was discovered to be clocking in an absent employee in business, or a state/semi-state company, they'd face instant dismissal, along with the absentee guilty of FRAUD.

That this fraud is tolerated by the people who should be setting an example (they make the laws) speaks volumes about the calibre of the people we've elected to what is rapidly becoming a national pig stye. The email addresses of the culprits named are in the phone book. Send an email to each of them letting them know exactly what you think of their fraudulent behaviour.

It also gives an indication of what lousy choices we have come the election. Fine Gael, and James O'Reilly, who's never short of a stone to throw at apparent wrongdoers, are no better the FF grafters who've perfected the art of legalised theft.

Hewson

This getting a bit hyperbolic. It's a case of people exploiting a bad rule, not of fraud.

We're talking about bad politics here, not criminality.

My advice: Save the outrage for the real criminality, but pressure the politicians to change the silly rules that led to this little scandal.
If a rule is in place that facilitates something which, in life outside the Parliament, is illegal/fraudulent then it's no less illegal/fraudulent simply because it applies to a particular group of individuals.

And pressurising politicians to change a system from which they gain enormous benefits is like pushing ten tons of lead up an icy slope.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
If a rule is in place that facilitates something which, in life outside the Parliament, is illegal/fraudulent then it's no less illegal/fraudulent simply because it applies to a particular group of individuals.

And pressurising politicians to change a system from which they gain enormous benefits is like pushing ten tons of lead up an icy slope.
You got a solution, or are you just on here to emote.

Personally, I intend sending off a few e-mails to one or two of the few politicians I still trust.

The issue of whether politicians are likely to get re-elected tends to concentrate the mind.

constitutionus

told ya !

:)

interesting bit in the article in the indo.

if im reading it right politicians can be marked in for "illness" as well !

is that a liscence for sickies or what?

how many duvet days are being taken here.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
told ya !

That would certainly be worth the efforts of an enterprising journalist.

Baron von Biffo

This getting a bit hyperbolic. It's a case of people exploiting a bad rule, not of fraud.

My advice: Save the outrage for the real criminality, but pressure the politicians to change the silly rules that led to this little scandal.
It's not a matter of outrage but of recognition that there really is nothing to distinguish FF from FG. They have nearly identical policies and nearly identical ethics.

Hewson

You got a solution, or are you just on here to emote.

Personally, I intend sending off a few e-mails to one or two of the few politicians I still trust.

The issue of whether politicians are likely to get re-elected tends to concentrate the mind.
Of course I have a solution. Scrap the rules of the House and re-write them, bringing them into line with standards that apply in any credible business.

Emotive enough for you?

Hewson

Great! So how are you going to go about achieving that?
Perhaps you'd like to sign up for membership of the upcoming Irish Parliamentary Reform Movement?

Website and enrollment procedures on the way.

loner

told ya !

Wonder do they have to submit doctors certs?

Hewson

Gryire

This system of expenses is there to increase TD's/PS wages with basically a tax free allowance payment. It has really got nothing to do with turning up, that is just a front to try in some way justify it. If this system of expenses/concession days/allowances/gold plated pensions did not exist in the public service then the true cost of wages would indeed cause a revolt. By having all these add-ons, the PS can agrue that they are not that well paid when you take the basic slary into account. Everyone from all parties claim them. It has got nothing to do with FF/FG/Lab etc. It would be akin to someone in the private service handing some of their pay back to their employer. The problem is because all the PS work in this way (obviously get worse the higher you climb the ladder), it won't be changed.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies