4 volume History of Ireland to be published today - PC Revisionist re hash or Original Thinking?

Catalpast

Four-volume History of Ireland to be published

President Michael D Higgins will this evening celebrate the publication of what is being billed as the most comprehensive and authoritative history of Ireland ever written.
More than 100 leading historians from Ireland and around the world have contributed to the four-volume History of Ireland, which has been produced by Cambridge University Press.
The work covers 1,500 years of Irish history, from 600 to the present.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0430/959147-history-of-ireland/

While new works of History are to be welcomed one wonders though what pitch this will take?

Will there be fresh thinking and perspectives or an attempt to conform to a rigid PC & Revisionist 'inclusive' narrative where all are 'equal' in validity?

The fact that the Gnome in the Park is on the podium does not auger well I fear....:|

Who fears to speak of 'Ninety-eight'?
Who blushes at the name?
When cowards mock the patriot's fate
Who hangs his head for shame?
He's all a knave or half a slave
Who slights his country thus,
But a true man, like you, man,
Will fill your glass with us.

owedtojoy

Four-volume History of Ireland to be published

President Michael D Higgins will this evening celebrate the publication of what is being billed as the most comprehensive and authoritative history of Ireland ever written.
More than 100 leading historians from Ireland and around the world have contributed to the four-volume History of Ireland, which has been produced by Cambridge University Press.
The work covers 1,500 years of Irish history, from 600 to the present.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0430/959147-history-of-ireland/

While new works of History are to be welcomed one wonders though what pitch this will take?

Will there be fresh thinking and perspectives or an attempt to conform to a rigid PC & Revisionist 'inclusive' narrative where all are 'equal' in validity?

The fact that the Gnome in the Park is on the podium does not auger well I fear....:|

Who fears to speak of 'Ninety-eight'?
Who blushes at the name?
When cowards mock the patriot's fate
Who hangs his head for shame?
He's all a knave or half a slave
Who slights his country thus,
But a true man, like you, man,
Will fill your glass with us.
"Written by 100 different historians" suggests that this is an attempt to capture a wide spectrum of historical research and opinions.

Unless Catalplast is the world's all-time speed reading record holder, maybe we should hold off until the works have been published and critiqued?

Trying to turn the occasion of a major historical publication, sight unseen, into a personal attack on the President of Ireland must qualify as a horrendous non-sequitur, a doozy of a fallacy, even for this poster.

Eventualities

'PC', aside from NOT BEING A REAL THING, is also a vapid Americanism and has no place in Irish political discussion. Get a life, boy

Catalpast

"Written by 100 different historians" suggests that this is an attempt to capture a wide spectrum of historical research and opinions.

Unless Catalplast is the world's all-time speed reading record holder, maybe we should hold off until the works have been published and critiqued?

Trying to turn the occasion of a major historical publication, sight unseen, into a personal attack on the President of Ireland must quality as a horrendous non-sequitur, a doozy of a fallacy, even for this poster.
If his Imprimatur is on it

- then I immediately become suspicious....:cool:

Catalpast

'PC', aside from NOT BEING A REAL THING, is also a vapid Americanism and has no place in Irish political discussion. Get a life, boy
Nonsense it is a widely used term here

If you ever visit Ireland you will find out.... :cool:

crossman

I don't like the way revisionist is used as a criticism. Any historian worth his salt has to be revisionist i.e. bring fresh insights or uncover new evidence. Otherwise they just pass on the accepted narrative.

CatullusV

Why is it 'pathetic'?
To see how you feel threatened by such ghosts.

The vast number of academics who have collaborated in this know that they are writing for the ages and not writing to satisfy shifting temporary societal norms and a temporary office holder.

You might also be unaware that with time historians tend to become freer to reassess past events, and in the absence of the major actors to be more honest in reappraising the facts.

For the past few years there has been a growing publication in France of the behaviour of the French during WWII. The new evidence does not constitute a paeon to the past. The reassessment - as with all academic history - is made on the basis of the cultural and societal mores which prevailed at the time. The same thing is happening in Spain in relation to the Civil War.

Eire1976

Will there be any new history in there?

Tales not told before, that give great light onto events or will it be historical authors quoting each others work as usual with the merrygoround approach?

Catalpast

To see how you feel threatened by such ghosts.

The vast number of academics who have collaborated in this know that they are writing for the ages and not writing to satisfy shifting temporary societal norms and a temporary office holder.

You might also be unaware that with time historians tend to become freer to reassess past events, and in the absence of the major actors to be more honest in reappraising the facts.

For the past few years there has been a growing publication in France of the behaviour of the French during WWII. The new evidence does not constitute a paeon to the past. The reassessment - as with all academic history - is made on the basis of the cultural and societal mores which prevailed at the time. The same thing is happening in Spain in relation to the Civil War.
Oh the writing of History is very much influenced by contemporary events

Historians are Human too

- they are very much influenced by who finances their Research Grants

Now I am sure that the illustrious Ladies & Gentlemen who have contributed to the current crop of tomes on Times Past

- are above such base considerations

But all of us like it or not carry baggage

Its when we drop our bags and don't notice

- that we can embarrass ourselves....:shock:

HistoryFest 2018

CatullusV

Oh the writing of History is very much influenced by contemporary events

Historians are Human too

- they are very much influenced by who finances their Research Grants

Now I am sure that the illustrious Ladies & Gentlemen who have contributed to the current crop of tomes on Times Past

- are above such base considerations

But all of us like it or not carry baggage

Its when we drop our bags and don't notice

- that we can embarrass ourselves....:shock:

HistoryFest 2018
Such a massive collaborative effort will involve mass cross-checking. You are jumping at ghosts.

Pizza Man

Such a massive collaborative effort will involve mass cross-checking.
Will the mass cross-checking take place before or after the work has been published?

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
Four-volume History of Ireland to be published ...

The fact that the Gnome in the Park is on the podium does not auger well I fear.
I can understand that.

This is an auger

This is an augur, with mystic divining device and non-optional chicken:

Automatic spell-check (an augur could definitely use one of them) can be an absolute bùgger.

Meanwhile, at €400 a set, I guess I'll be looking for on-line access, via a complaisant library ...

Last edited:

Sheeple_Waker

Sounds like the next one for my book shelf. Not sure OP if you read the ‘Atlas of the Irish Revolution’ but the small article format of that book allowed for a much greater emphasis on specific events and/or localities by the respective contributors, if this new work follows similar lines I expect it will be a worthy contribution Irish historiography. Drawing on a pool of 100 authors has the added bonus that it’s likely to be free of an overarching narrative, i.e. it’s unlikely a work of such breadth would have the narrow focus of a work by RDE, for example.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies