• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

40% of welfare recipients are foreigners

Breadan O'Connor

I came across an interesting letter in the Business Post under the heading "failure of welffare rules" claiming that more than 40% of welfare recipients are now foreign nationals. Sunday Business Post | Irish Business News

If these people are receiving welfare pro rata with Irish people then there is a welfare spend of over 9 billion on them which is over twice the now proposed cutbacks by Lenihan.

In 2004 Bertie Ahern agreed to allow people from the accession states into the country without any restrictions. This means that foreign nationals can get Irish benefits even if they did not pay the full PRSI contribution in Ireland by moving their welfare credits from their native country.

The letter writer proposes stopping welfare benefits to foreign nationals who have not paid the full necessary PRSI in Ireland. This would be in line with the policy in France and Germany.

Kev408

Great link to Albert Collins' letter - no link to the actual facts.

dunno

A reasonable letter, the Gavin Murphy letter is what OP means, I think. A person should have a fair stack of PRSI contributions paid here before they get the 204 Euro, say five years, perhaps ten. Now for younger people that isn't possible, but that should curb abuses a bit, and not harm those who worked hard.

Stendec

I came across an interesting letter in the Business Post under the heading "failure of welffare rules" claiming that more than 40% of welfare recipients are now foreign nationals. Sunday Business Post | Irish Business News

If these people are receiving welfare pro rata with Irish people then there is a welfare spend of over 9 billion on them which is over twice the now proposed cutbacks by Lenihan.

In 2004 Bertie Ahern agreed to allow people from the accession states into the country without any restrictions. This means that foreign nationals can get Irish benefits even if they did not pay the full PRSI contribution in Ireland by moving their welfare credits from their native country.

The letter writer proposes stopping welfare benefits to foreign nationals who have not paid the full necessary PRSI in Ireland. This would be in line with the policy in France and Germany.
your a big rasist nacker!!!!

Kev408

A reasonable letter, the Gavin Murphy letter is what OP means, I think. A person should have a fair stack of PRSI contributions paid here before they get the 204 Euro, say five years, perhaps ten. Now for younger people that isn't possible, but that should curb abuses a bit, and not harm those who worked hard.
Mea culpa. Still has no links to actual information. It's like quoting someone from P.ie stating nonsense that immigrants get free cars, but with no proof whatsoever except that somebody said it.

kerrynorth

Its 18.5% according to the latest Live Register data.

jcdf

I think it is currently 3 years minimum PRSI contributions for foreign nationals to claim the 204. The government lacks the skills to make such adjustments without causing a bigger mess. They will go for the easy option, a uniform cut for everyone.

Digout

FFS, more racists. These people were more than welcome here when we needed workers, and needed people to rent the shoddy shoebox apartments.

These people worked and paid their taxes, they are entitled to social welfare.

sharper

I think you should probably consider that even in good times 10 years of fulltime employment without any gaps is far from guaranteed. You're acting like full employment for all is a certainty except in weird once in a generation or more circumstances.

Partizan

FFS, more racists. These people were more than welcome here when we needed workers, and needed people to rent the shoddy shoebox apartments.

I couldnt agree more. I cant believe there are still racist neanderthals pedding this inane rubbish.

They came here to work, contributed to the economy by paying their taxes and as such are entitled to social welfare like any other Irish citizen.

They should be venting heir spleen at the gombeens who have ruined this country, the parasitic capitalist banker / builder / gombeen shyster class who have milked us dry.

bormotello

It doesn’t include working migrants, who are receiving FIS.
If you will add unemployed spouses in those families as recipients of welfare, you will get something close to 40%.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
This is the crux of the issue:
Letter said:
A loophole in Irish welfare rules means that foreign nationals who worked in other EU accession states can move their welfare credits to Ireland. Many migrants from the EU accession states earn more on welfare in Ireland than they do working in their own home countries, and have opted to exploit this loophole. According to official statistics, more than half the foreign nationals on Irish welfare have not paid the required PRSI contribution in Ireland.
If that is true then it constitutes an unsustainable burden on the Irish taxpayer. And the writer has every right - morally as well as legally - to bring it up. Having said that, I think the 40% figure sounds a bit high.
Digout said:

Some did and some didn't. If what the letter says is true, many are claiming without so doing. There is enormous fraud, such as Accession State nationals flying in to claim child-benefit and then flying home. This was reported in the Daily Mail some months ago. Facts are facts. Facts are not sentinent beings, and therefore cannot be 'racist', despite the fulminations of the Irish PC-brigade, who are some of our most intolerant citizens. :roll:

There is an obvious incentive for fraud when Irish welfare-rates equal middle-class salaries in Poland and other former Accession states. We have every right to debate this issue. We have a €20 billion deficit for heaven's sake. We can't afford the PC worldview.

darkhorse

these are shocking figures and highlight the failure of our bleeding heart political system - present and past - and how they have brought the country to financial ruin.
we dont even have a political party with the courage to even admit to this problem let alone attempt to fix it.

truthisfree

Seems reasonable, we needed these people when the celtic tiger was peaking, not fair to treat them as disposables when the economy is in recession. People forget just how many Irish emigrated to other countries up until the 80's and too met with racism. I really thought that of all people we would not behave like this towards immigrants.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Seems reasonable, we needed these people when the celtic tiger was peaking, not fair to treat them as disposables when the economy is in recession. People forget just how many Irish emigrated to other countries up until the 80's and too met with racism. I really thought that of all people we would not behave like this towards immigrants.
Roll out the old canard, you a hotelier or a shareholder in SISK ? Have a secondhome where some Polish are paying the rent? Girlfriend is it ?

Bought.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
Cut out the 'R' word. It has nothing to do with that and you know it. And did we need them? We are back to 2004 levels economically. So after opening our borders, we have gained nothing materially except a huge welfare-bill and extra burdens on our schools and hospitals. And to the PC-brigade - it's the policy I am criticising not the immigrants themselves.

There is nothing more intolerant than a left-liberal. :roll:

Scorpio

FutureTaoiseach

Website
The article assumes they earn the average industrial wage. But it is well known they are exploited.

Popular Threads

Most Replies