• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

400 new jobs for Cork - Irish Water contract awarded to Abtran

robut

Irish Water unveils 400 jobs for Cork firm - RTÉ News

The company established by the Government to roll out and manage metered water supplies to households has announced the provision of 400 jobs in Cork.

Irish Water has awarded a multi-million euro contract to Cork-based company Abtran to set up and run a customer support call centre for the service.

In April of last year the Government asked Bord Gáis to establish Irish Water, a utility company that will roll out and manage metered water supplies to every house in the country.
Good News for Cork City - 400 people off the Q? A small dent, but a dent at least.

Last edited:

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Parable of the broken window anyone?

drummed

I'd love a job there! Could spend all day chasing the riff raff demanding they cough up the water charges. Would nearly volunteer for free just for the craic.

I wonder would they let me sub-contract from home in the evenings?

Congalltee

Is this the same company dealing with the LPT? (and who have an employee being investigated - if so have they tightened their recruitment and oversight?)

Who are the directors? In which constituency are they? Have they made any political donations?

Ren84

Is this the same company dealing with the LPT? (and who have an employee being investigated - if so have they tightened their recruitment and oversight?)

Who are the directors? In which constituency are they? Have they made any political donations?
What are you on about? The "company" dealing with the LPT is the Revenue Commissioners.

drummed

Is that a TV show or movie?
Try the Disney channel i'd be guessing. It's a fairytale anyway i'd imagine.

Not that i have your attention...................have you paid up yet????????????????

sking81

I'd love a job there! Could spend all day chasing the riff raff demanding they cough up the water charges. Would nearly volunteer for free just for the craic.

Naw. This place will be staffed entirely by Jobbridge candidates.

robut

YES.

Evening Echo — Garda probe after house tax credit card incidents

A CORK call centre worker on the local property tax helpline has been suspended over alleged attempts to fraudulently use the credit card details of householders.

Gardaí confirmed officers are investigating an allegation of fraud at Abtran in Cork.

No arrests have been made.

The Revenue Commissioners, which is collecting the tax, said it was extremely concerned about an incidence of attempted fraud by an employee of Abtran, which operates the helpline.

The worker was suspended after attempts were made to use the credit card details of some callers to the helpline without their knowledge.
This was from Monday, May 13, 2013. Im sure the story has moved on since then ..

L

longshortgrass

You get to call on mksav, bonkers, crazy horse, fr ted (aka des), lain, north tipp, turdl.....the crazy gang. :shock:

I'll do shotgun with you, for a consideration. :cool:

Marvar88

You get to call on mksav, bonkers, crazy horse, fr ted (aka des), lain, north tipp, turdl.....the crazy gang. :shock:

I'll do shotgun with you, for a consideration. :cool:

Ah man, how did you leave out the biggest looper of them all, D4.

He's full on crazy.

L

longshortgrass

Just as well, just added a couple of windows to the house!!

....King William III's fiscal initiative (paid on houses with six windows or more) was enforced in England in 1695, but not imposed here until 1799. For the record, houses with 7-9 windows had to pay a tax of 2 shillings and those with property containing 10-19 windows 4 shillings in 1792. The Window Tax was repealed in 1851, was duly replaced by a House Tax, the Poor Law Valuation.

Then there was the Hearth Tax in the 1600, not to mention the Male Servant Tax in the 1800s. I seem to recall that Income Tax was introduced as a temporary measure to fight the Napolionic Wars, not that I am of that vintage....

sport02

....King William III's fiscal initiative (paid on houses with six windows or more) was enforced in England in 1695, but not imposed here until 1799. For the record, houses with 7-9 windows had to pay a tax of 2 shillings and those with property containing 10-19 windows 4 shillings in 1792. The Window Tax was repealed in 1851, was duly replaced by a House Tax, the Poor Law Valuation.

Then there was the Hearth Tax in the 1600, not to mention the Male Servant Tax in the 1800s. I seem to recall that Income Tax was introduced as a temporary measure to fight the Napolionic Wars, not that I am of that vintage....
I think that is where the saying 'day light robbery' comes from.

Aindriu

I seem to recall that Income Tax was introduced as a temporary measure to fight the Napolionic Wars, not that I am of that vintage....
See! It was the bloody French all along petunia

Reck-less

What are you on about? The "company" dealing with the LPT is the Revenue Commissioners.
Just in from Phoenix magazine, May 31, 2013:

It is, of course, an offence to impersonate an officer of the Revenue Commissioners and while Abtran employees did not actively do this, callers were not informed that they were dealing with non-Revenue staff, working in a Cork call centre, many on very short term contracts. Certainly, many callers would have been less likely to give out information had they been made aware of this fact.

For the record, the Abtran group of companies are registered in Cork and the directors here are listed as accountant Patrick Fitzgerald, Gerard Fitzgerald, Michael Fitzgerald, and Patrick Ryan, all with addresses in Cork. The group's shares are now held by two BVI companies – Forrest Hill Global Ltd and Edgeway Group (unlimited), both registered at Road Town, Tortola, BVI, with the latter company giving as it’s a ddress a PO Box number. Until last year, the four directors were listed as the shareholders (the Fitzgeralds holding 83% between them and Ryan having 17%), while Enterprise Ireland was also on board, courtesy of a €400,000 investment in 2006.

Back in 2011, all the companies in the Abtran Group were re-registered as unlimited, which means they no longer have to file accounts in the Companies Registration Office.
Abtran also operate the Susi helpdesk, as per this article:

Susi contractor to deal with property tax queries | Noel Baker and Vincent Ryan | Irish Examiner | Friday, March 22, 2013

operationbustnation

Try collecting water charges from the people of Roscommon who still have unfit water for human consumption!