• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

400k people to be tracked down by Revenue over non payment of household charge

Sync

Revenue to pursue up to 400,000 who have failed to pay household charge - Irish News, World News & More | The Irish Times - Fri, Apr 19, 2013

While 73% of householders have paid up, 1/4 have held off contributing the household charge. Whether you agree with the charge or not, the govt have been pretty up front on the consequences for non payment.

If you pay now it'll be €130, €145 by may. After June it'll be €200+penalties and interest if courts/revenue/bailiffs need to be involved.

And ultimately of course it'll either be deducted at source or you go to prison for contempt for refusing to pay. The govt will keep up the publicity hopefully over the next couple of months, to give people a chance to pay. I just find it hard to believe that people are willing to pay lets say 300 (including charges/interest etc) in September say or go to prison over this. If you're super principled and just flat out disagree with an elected govts lawful taxation then....fine. Enjoy prison. If you think is is going to go away, someone needs to disabuse you of that notion.

nonpartyboy

What is it with fg posters and threatening people, no wonder you have barely been let near the levers of power in years.......people must have forgotten what an arrogant bunch of ************************s they are.

NYCKY

Could the prison system actually take the 1/4 of the householders that have held off on paying the charge?

What's needed is poll tax type resistance, but it's Ireland so that will never happen.

truthisfree

It's true, FGers have an arrogance that surpasses any other party, it is truly despicable and the reason they can never hold onto power.....they never learn :(

nonpartyboy

It's true, FGers have an arrogance that surpasses any other party, it is truly despicable and the reason they can never hold onto power.....they never learn :(
If labour pulled the plug and got rid of gilmore the next govt would be lab/ff.......people know what needs to be done, but we don't need arrogant ************************s like fg telling us how it is.

daveL

If labour pulled the plug and got rid of gilmore the next govt would be lab/ff.......people know what needs to be done, but we don't need arrogant ************************s like fg telling us how it is.
Lab/FF?

I will emigrate if that happens.

captainwillard

Revenue will do this job, just for fun. It will be as easy as taking candy off a baby. And why not? Those who pay should not subsidise those who don't.

Gibby

Wow , same old blueshirts , perhaps what we need is for the 400, 000 people to start tracking down revenue and the scumbag politicians from fine gael that introduced it , after that they can start tracking the current day lord haw haws such as yourself for your biased propaganda , your a mod supposedly , time you acted like one
Ah but he's a mod with an agenda... ;)

Sync

What agenda? The Govt are telling you clearly that the option is that if you're privately/publicly employed they'll take it from source. If you refuse to pay as say a self employed person, you'll eventually get jail for contempt.

That's not party political. That's a fact. What's in dispute around it? Liking the charge/not liking the charge doesn't come into it.

My feel is that (Like TV licences and pretty much any other tax that's not deducted at source) entropy kicks in and people ignore the letters, ignore the notifications, while secretly knowing that they'll have to pay it.

What's the other realistic option? If you've been identified on this (and quite frankly if I hadn't recieved a letter in the post on this I'd keep my head well down) then the govt are tracking you.

So the options would appear to be:
1. Pay now for €130
2. Pay later for €145
3. Pay later still for €200 + fees/interest/penalties
4. Face arduous public court action and pay the fine
5. Face arduous public court action and have the fine deducted from source.
6. Face arduous public court action and go to prison for contempt.

What's option 7?

I don't see how facing reality makes me a Labour or FG supporter.

Last edited:

Nemesiscorporation

Revenue to pursue up to 400,000 who have failed to pay household charge - Irish News, World News & More | The Irish Times - Fri, Apr 19, 2013

While 73% of householders have paid up, 1/4 have held off contributing the household charge. Whether you agree with the charge or not, the govt have been pretty up front on the consequences for non payment.

If you pay now it'll be €130, €145 by may. After June it'll be €200+penalties and interest if courts/revenue/bailiffs need to be involved.

And ultimately of course it'll either be deducted at source or you go to prison for contempt for refusing to pay. The govt will keep up the publicity hopefully over the next couple of months, to give people a chance to pay. I just find it hard to believe that people are willing to pay lets say 300 (including charges/interest etc) in September say or go to prison over this. If you're super principled and just flat out disagree with an elected govts lawful taxation then....fine. Enjoy prison. If you think is is going to go away, someone needs to disabuse you of that notion.
My parents were refusing to pay it no matter what as they worked all there lives, paid all there taxes (with no cheating at all) and got nothing in return. There are no services at all in my parents area as they were all removed by Fianna Fail at the start of the Celtic Tiger years. Eventually I got through to them by threatening to pay it myself, if they didn't so as to stop them ending up in court.

Years ago when people refused to pay rates the dogs in the streets knew that would fall apart.

Now it is different. The vermin from the IMF are in Ireland. Sooner or later they are going to find an excuse to go after the weakest and poorest in Ireland as they have done in every other country they have been in. How the IMF has operated in Europe the last couple of years is weird for the IMF. In Latin American and Africa, they have literally ensured the people have suffered and blamed the people for it.

Call me irrational, conspiratorial or whatever. I have sat beside people from Chile, Argentina and Malawi in language classes and have learn't a lot about the IMF. Whatever the game plan the IMF has in Europe, I do not want my parents caught up in it, when the other shoe drops.

TARZAN

The intransigent attitude of this government to the poverty that currently exists in this country will make it a breeding ground for groups similar to the Red Brigade. For many in employment e130 is not a lot but lets face it we have hundreds of thousands who are in negative equity many with only e50 monthly left after paying for all necessities. Threatening these people brings back memories of the old landlord era .Lets face it the politicians that are running this country are just pet poodles for their German masters and unless people stand up and ask them to live up to their election promises they will continue to make life easier for themselves and their masters.

LamportsEdge

The truth is that the Irish Prison Service confronted by a sudden influx of people over the Household Charge would simply be down to noting a name in a ledger and then immediately releasing the same people.

I would prefer to see 400,000 turf the government out on its arse. Or put the cabinet in jail. Which would be cheaper and more efficient both for the nation and the Prison Service.

Fractional Reserve

Government have replaced the kings and queens landlords , put they are far more of them and they are far more vicious in everyway .They will confiscate everything if they get half a chance , they care less about the people its about them and power.They would sell their children , mothers , fathers to keep their selfinterest going .Look at Burton she wants to confiscate more of your money , even though you and the employer are paying prsi and also the Universal Social Charge.Government will always be against its people , it will do anything to survive , rob , plunder , impoverish , and kill if it has to come to it .

The intransigent attitude of this government to the poverty that currently exists in this country will make it a breeding ground for groups similar to the Red Brigade. For many in employment e130 is not a lot but lets face it we have hundreds of thousands who are in negative equity many with only e50 monthly left after paying for all necessities. Threatening these people brings back memories of the old landlord era .Lets face it the politicians that are running this country are just pet poodles for their German masters and unless people stand up and ask them to live up to their election promises they will continue to make life easier for themselves and their masters.

davoid

What agenda? The Govt are telling you clearly that the option is that if you're privately/publicly employed they'll take it from source. If you refuse to pay as say a self employed person, you'll eventually get jail for contempt.

That's not party political. That's a fact. What's in dispute around it? Liking the charge/not liking the charge doesn't come into it.

My feel is that (Like TV licences and pretty much any other tax that's not deducted at source) entropy kicks in and people ignore the letters, ignore the notifications, while secretly knowing that they'll have to pay it.

What's the other realistic option? If you've been identified on this (and quite frankly if I hadn't recieved a letter in the post on this I'd keep my head well down) then the govt are tracking you.

So the options would appear to be:
1. Pay now for €130
2. Pay later for €145
3. Pay later still for €200 + fees/interest/penalties
4. Face arduous public court action and pay the fine
5. Face arduous public court action and have the fine deducted from source.
6. Face arduous public court action and go to prison for contempt.

What's option 7?

I don't see how facing reality makes me a Labour or FG supporter.
I agree. I don't like this tax, or any tax, but if there is to be one I want it to be such that everybody liable has to pay.

No sponging - for anybody.

Those who object to the method of collection (as opposed to the tax) are essentially looking for a voluntary tax. Th

Like the free lunch it doesn't exist.

Malbekh

The purpose of non-payment including myself was for a number of reasons:

1. The entire household charge (2012 version) was a fiasco from start to finish, poorly designed and poorly implemented and it, and the minister, deserved to be treated with contempt
2. It was an easy way to kick the government where it hurts and highlight their incompetence
3. The fines for non-payment were derisory and contributed to the sniggering behind peoples' hands
4. It ensured that the household charge (2013 version) was well-thought out (to a point) and implemented correctly including commensurate non-payment fees.

Of course, the government still don't understand that you cannot tax your way out of a recession, and that the domestic economy is as important, if not more important. that the export economy.

Sync

The truth is that the Irish Prison Service confronted by a sudden influx of people over the Household Charge would simply be down to noting a name in a ledger and then immediately releasing the same people.

I would prefer to see 400,000 turf the government out on its arse. Or put the cabinet in jail. Which would be cheaper and more efficient both for the nation and the Prison Service.
Right but you do know from reading the article that they'll just get orders to remove it at source right? So if you're working for Microsoft, they'll just have the €200+ deducted from your pay packet. Really the threat of contempt is only valid for those who refuse to pay and can't have it garnished. Which is a much much smaller figure.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Will they be in cells with all the people who don't pay their tv licence and dog licences?

Of course it has to be paid, of course in due course they will issue the relevant proceedings and get their orders against some, and some may even decide to go to jail, I suspect they would be home before the Gardai who bring them in.

RobertW

[And ultimately of course it'll either be deducted at source or you go to prison for contempt for refusing to pay.
And where exactly are the prison spaces???..

They might as well claim that the bogeyman is going to get ya for non payment.

LamportsEdge

Right but you do know from reading the article that they'll just get orders to remove it at source right? So if you're working for Microsoft, they'll just have the €200+ deducted from your pay packet. Really the threat of contempt is only valid for those who refuse to pay and can't have it garnished. Which is a much much smaller figure.
Which will bring the moment that the Irish Government gets its income interrupted permanently that much closer. 400,000 householders on the small island is a lot of people.

The only advantage people have over this fake government is that they far outnumber the gardai, the courts, the civil service. The Irish Government want to go down that route then let them sign their own P45.

Nemesiscorporation

Have you ever actually met someone who grew up in poverty and all there life has barely been able to meet ends meet?

There are lots of people like that.

Seriously Sync, you come across as someone who has led a sheltered life to put it mildly.

There is a hard financial reality on the ground in Ireland, which got worse during the Celtic Tiger years. Those were the people in low paid jobs and areas where there were no jobs, of which there was a lot. Everything rose in cost around them, but there wages only went with the minimum wage.

The property tax is something that will hit the poor hardest. It was designed by people who most likely know no one who earns less than €50,000 and more likely €100,000. Thats the problem. No reality check when designing the law.

Also something you need to understand and drop the green tinted blinkers on.

If the government creates a situation where they jail say 50,000 Irish people, who are mostly pensioners, then don't expect the Irish living abroad, to take it quietly. Also don't expect local governments such as France, Germany and Italy to find it acceptable.

Former PDs, Libertas supporters and those of a similar vein, might think such a situation wonderful. I can assure you they would find out very quickly, it would be the worst and most stupid thing they could do. The Dail might as well pass a motion declaring they should all eat cake.

The IMF might be the ultimate wet dream for people of PD-Libertas type thinking, but they could very quickly find out that it really is there worst nightmare.

Last edited:

Popular Threads

Most Replies