• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

450 jobs to go in coolock

pfkf

Cadbury's has announced that 450 jobs are to go in coolock, and they balme rising costs in energy as Ireland's energy costs are 30% higher than in the UK, this is just another example of how this government is making Ireland less competitive in an international market, the government has been asked to attract new job oppurtunities for coolock by Fine Gael's deputy leader Richard Bruton.

jady88

pfkf said:
Cadbury's has announced that 450 jobs are to go in coolock, and they balme rising costs in energy as Ireland's energy costs are 30% higher than in the UK, this is just another example of how this government is making Ireland less competitive in an international market, the government has been asked to attract new job oppurtunities for coolock by Fine Gael's deputy leader Richard Bruton.
Okay well we can see that FG are really on the ball here!!!

stannis

True Catalpa, but 20 years ago people from many backgrounds had trouble finding work in the first place.

BTW, could you tell me where that Solzhenitsyn quote in your sig is from? Thanks.

pfkf

this is a directqpute from cadbury's as to why they have decided to let go 450 jobs in coolock :

Cadbury has blamed the job losses on IrelandÂ’s rising cost base, including soaring energy costs:
o Industrial electricity prices are 30% higher than in the UK. Foot dragging by the Government on investment in an electric Interconnector has kept electricity prices in Ireland artificially high;
o Gas prices for industry are 20% dearer than in the UK;
o Ireland is a high-cost location for key infrastructures like Waste Management and Transport.

hiding behind a poster

Catalpa said:
I noticed that the reporter on last night's 9 O'Clock RTE News stated that off camera many workers stated they were concerned that their jobs would now be outsourced .... :?

Your point being?

Catalpa

hiding behind a poster said:
Catalpa said:
I noticed that the reporter on last night's 9 O'Clock RTE News stated that off camera many workers stated they were concerned that their jobs would now be outsourced .... :?

Your point being?
My point being that is polite language for saying the workers were blaming foreigners for ruining their jobs. :evil:

hiding behind a poster

Catalpa said:
Catalpa said:

Your point being?
My point being that is polite language for saying the workers were blaming foreigners for ruining their jobs. :evil:

Ah yes, but to move to the central point of your existence, do you mean foreign workers in foreign countries, or foreign workers in Ireland? Anyway, it would seem there's a lot more to it than that. Cadbury have said that high Irish energy and infrastructure costs were big factors in their decision.

White Horse

pfkf said:
This government is determined to destroy what remains of Irish manufacturing. This another example of the disasterous "partnership" approach to appease pulic sector unions.

Many more workers will pay with their jobs for the massive pay increases given to public sector workers.

Catalpa

Catalpa said:
[quote="hiding behind a poster":2nf1keig]
Catalpa said:

Your point being?

Ah yes, but to move to the central point of your existence, do you mean foreign workers in foreign countries, or foreign workers in Ireland? Anyway, it would seem there's a lot more to it than that. Cadbury have said that high Irish energy and infrastructure costs were big factors in their decision.[/quote:2nf1keig]

I would say it is twofold.

Cadbury's will set up base in countries with much less overheads (inc. cheaper labour) and the laid off Irish workers will now have to compete in an Irish jobs market where foreigners are prepared to work for less with longer hours and more basic conditions than the ex Cadburys workers have been used to.

Try telling them that Immigration is good for Irish workers! :?

The Field Marshal

Ah yes, but to move to the central point of your existence, do you mean foreign workers in foreign countries, or foreign workers in Ireland? Anyway, it would seem there's a lot more to it than that. Cadbury have said that high Irish energy and infrastructure costs were big factors in their decision.
Nothing much has changed in a decade.

The Field Marshal

Corrib gas came on stream earlier this year. Most of us expected the tapping of Irish resources would have brought gas prices down. Sadly no. Sad day.
The other thing is the oil and drinks scam scam where prices at the pumps and pubs should have been a lot lower.

Govt excise duty has put paid to that.