• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

48% of Northern Irish would vote for United Ireland in shock new poll.

SideysGhost

I'd bet on a border poll failing.
No problem.
Well that's because you are yet another one who seems to be beaming in their posts from 1974.

The profound demographic, social and political changes in the North over the last 25 years and the game-changer in attitudes that is Brexit have completely passed you by and left your Cruiserite prejudices blissfully undisturbed

Strawberry

I'm curious why the Russiabots are so opposed to Unification. It's not just on p.ie either, Russiabots all over t'intertubes are pushing the ridiculous line that the Republic should Irexit then rejoin the UK instead (and getting met with universal howls of laughter and derision)

Is it simply because they are being advised on which buttons to push by revanchist Tory Imperialists; that they simply can't tell the difference between English and Irish politics, history and culture; or because it is something the Kremlin actually wants as a strategic objective?
The Kremlin's strategic aim is to create chaos in western democracies, so maybe they figure pushing both a hard, no deal Brexit and keeping NI in the UK would re-start the Troubles at a time when Britain is least able to cope with it.

SideysGhost

The Kremlin's strategic aim is to create chaos in western democracies, so maybe they figure pushing both a hard, no deal Brexit and keeping NI in the UK would re-start the Troubles at a time when Britain is least able to cope with it.
Hmmmm yeah makes sense. Not really thinking it through though are they, cos that would pretty much instantly lead to unification, not another 30 years of Troubles 2.0...especially if it came out the DUP/Leavers were being funded and influenced by the Kremlin, love to see Snarlene attempt to explain that to the Herrenvolk down the Lodge :roflmao:

There does seem to be genuine puzzlement by the online Russiabots as to why their usual tactics are just getting zero traction in Ireland.

mr_anderson

Well that's because you are yet another one who seems to be beaming in their posts from 1974.

The profound demographic, social and political changes in the North over the last 25 years and the game-changer in attitudes that is Brexit have completely passed you by and left your Cruiserite prejudices blissfully undisturbed
50% Catholic does not equate to 50% UI.
A sizable chunk of Catholics know they are better off in the most subsidised area of the western world.
You're going to need a 60/40 catholic population in order to cross that threshold.

Strawberry

Hmmmm yeah makes sense. Not really thinking it through though are they, cos that would pretty much instantly lead to unification, not another 30 years of Troubles 2.0...especially if it came out the DUP/Leavers were being funded and influenced by the Kremlin, love to see Snarlene attempt to explain that to the Herrenvolk down the Lodge :roflmao:

There does seem to be genuine puzzlement by the online Russiabots as to why their usual tactics are just getting zero traction in Ireland.
Well, I doubt they're that bothered about bringing about a united Ireland as long as they create maximum chaos along the route. They seem to promote independence for Catalonia and Scotland so there wouldn't be any ideological reason to oppose a united Ireland, just a way of stirring up the Irish and hope it'll lead to bombs.

SideysGhost

A sizable chunk of Catholics know they are better off in the most subsidised area of the western world.
You're going to need a 60/40 catholic population in order to cross that threshold.
You remind me of that old Harry Enfield Dime Bar ad with the armadillo.

I know it is a waste of time with you, but for others who may actually want to have an educated discussion on a topic they actually know something about, or even at least they want to know something about it not just trot out demented 1970s-era cliches, this was the state of polling six months ago:

What do the latest polls tell us about Northern Ireland’s future? | Northern Slant

Niall996

I know it is a waste of time with you, but for others who may actually want to have an educated discussion on a topic they actually know something about, or even at least they want to know something about it not just trot out demented 1970s-era cliches, this was the state of polling six months ago:

What do the latest polls tell us about Northern Ireland’s future? | Northern Slant
The DUP are the gift that keeps on giving.

mr_anderson

I'm all for a border vote.
At least it will shut down the debate for another 20+ years.
Not a hope in hell would it succeed.

From your own link, the average 'stay' vote is 49.75%.
The average UI vote is 32.75%.

View attachment 1609

So extrapolating these out whilst ignoring the ''undecideds/don't knows'', the final vote would be:
Stay 60.30%
UI 39.70%

This is almost precisely what I suggested earlier.
Thanks for proving me right.

Bill White argues that internet polling is more accurate.
He's entitled to his opinion.
Going by P.ie online polls, we'd have a shinner majority government in the south for the past 15 years.
I'll take my online polls with a large dose of salt, thank you very much.

Last edited:

FOURGREENFIELDS

It pains me to say it BUT a future referendum/vote on Irish unity would most likely fail in the South. Northern Nationalists KNOW that the Southern electorate is easily controlled and manipulated and that a combination of RTE/Independent News propaganda, economic scaremongering aligned with Unionist/Loyalist violence will frighten the Southern populace into voting against it. There is also a substantive, hostile, rabidly anti-Northern element in the South that is comfortable with partition, as any Northern GAA person will testify, and they will control the narrative during the debate and vote. I am sorry if this offends BUT as a Northern Nationalist I hold no confidence in the 26 counties WHATSOEVER to deliver Irish unity.

mr_anderson

It pains me to say it BUT a future referendum/vote on Irish unity would most likely fail in the South. Northern Nationalists KNOW that the Southern electorate is easily controlled and manipulated and that a combination of RTE/Independent News propaganda, economic scaremongering aligned with Unionist/Loyalist violence will frighten the Southern populace into voting against it. There is also a substantive, hostile, rabidly anti-Northern element in the South that is comfortable with partition, as any Northern GAA person will testify, and they will control the narrative during the debate and vote. I am sorry if this offends BUT as a Northern Nationalist I hold no confidence in the 26 counties WHATSOEVER to deliver Irish unity.
The South would vote for it.
I'd guess 65/35.
Maybe 60/40.
But it would pass.

The North still has 20+ years to go.
Simply, far more Catholics would vote to remain than Unionists vote to move.
Consequently, you're going to need a 55/45 Catholic majority.
I mistakenly said 60/40 in post #1325 above. That's probably too wide.

hollandia

However recent polling showing around 8% of the middle ground - that's 8% of around 13% of the electorate (Alliance/Green/people of no religion) being prepared to vote yes to unity somewhat undermines your argument. A figure that rises in the event of Brexit, and rises further in the event of no deal.

firefly123

The South would vote for it.
I'd guess 65/35.
Maybe 60/40.
But it would pass.

The North still has 20+ years to go.
Simply, far more Catholics would vote to remain than Unionists vote to move.
Consequently, you're going to need a 55/45 Catholic majority.
I mistakenly said 60/40 in post #1325 above. That's probably too wide.
A hard Brexit will be a catalyst to speed that change up especially a economically hard one