• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

48% of Northern Irish would vote for United Ireland in shock new poll.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Personally, I believe that any unification process will be costly. That doesn't by any means lead me towards opposition to a well-planned and inclusive united Ireland scenario. On the contrary, I witnessed the solidarity shown by West Germans through their Deutschemark and later their Euros with their Eastern neighbours. The memory of that solidarity was, and perhaps still is, part of the glue that kept the new country together. It seems to me something similar would be the case in Ireland.

Roll_On

I think it will be costly but nowhere near as costly as the loyalist trolls make out. As sad a defense as 'you couldn't afford us we're too much of a basket case' is, it's not entirely true. If you take out NI's contribution to Trident, trillion pound wars in the Middle East, armoured land rovers for yer man to crash into members of the public etc.(could you imagine if he were a muslim?) and realistically England won't seek to put part of it's debt on NI, they'll just be glad to get rid. I expect there to be some uproar however. Redundancies for many a 50-something year old civil servant and not to mention that the ridiculous layers in NI would have to be dismantled. NI has 6 regional education authorities for example, lol.

Marcella

The DUP are spooked. They see the demographic tipping point approaching and they've convinced themselves they need a game changer. Brexit is their last great hope.

A hard brexit in their mind reinforces the border, stunts cross border trade, and will make the north almost completely reliant on GB for trade and business.

The DUP will gladly make every man, woman and child in the north poorer to maintain the union.

NMunsterman

The DUP are spooked. They see the demographic tipping point approaching and they've convinced themselves they need a game changer. Brexit is their last great hope.

A hard brexit in their mind reinforces the border, stunts cross border trade, and will make the north almost completely reliant on GB for trade and business.

The DUP will gladly make every man, woman and child in the north poorer to maintain the union.

A "No Deal" will be a disaster for the North and a catastrophe for the DUP's project of delaying the Re-United Ireland as it would simply bring the Re-United Ireland project right on to the front burner, with full EU backing, especially considering that the EU has already granted the North special status as being the only part of the UK that can automatically re-join the EU post-Brexit by virtue of a vote to do so, via the Re-United Ireland.

Fascinating statement from the German Foregin Minister Heiko Maas yesterday in discussions with Ireland's EU representatives, when referring to the Border , adding that "we too had a border in our country one time" -> the German state too see Ireland for the one country that it is.

Little wonder the DUP is getting freaked out by the prospect of a "No Deal" as it is
the fast-track to the Re-United Ireland.

Marcella

A "No Deal" will be a disaster for the North and a catastrophe for the DUP's project of delaying the Re-United Ireland as it would simply bring the Re-United Ireland project right on to the front burner, with full EU backing, especially considering that the EU has already granted the North special status as being the only part of the UK that can automatically re-join the EU post-Brexit by virtue of a vote to do so, via the Re-United Ireland.

Fascinating statement from the German Foregin Minister Heiko Maas yesterday in discussions with Ireland's EU representatives, when referring to the Border , adding that "we too had a border in our country one time" -> the German state too see Ireland for the one country that it is.

Little wonder the DUP is getting freaked out by the prospect of a "No Deal" as it is
the fast-track to the Re-United Ireland
I see no evidence of that. On the contrary, Sammy Wilson and co are salivating at the thought of no deal.

DUP actions and policies, before, during, and after the brexit referendum point to the fact they want a hard border.

valamhic

So the long held dream of a united Ireland gins traction. The song went:

A nation once again,
A nation once again,
Ireland long a Provence be,
A nation once again.

So it will change to:

A member state once again,
800 years to get to be free,
and now we give it all away.

NMunsterman

I see no evidence of that. On the contrary, Sammy Wilson and co are salivating at the thought of no deal.

DUP actions and policies, before, during, and after the brexit referendum point to the fact they want a hard border.
A "No Deal" will destroy the North and what is left of it's agriculture industry - the UFU have made that abundantly clear.Trade, commerce and industry will be similarly badly hurt by a "No Deal" - as the North's CoC made clear too.

So, the DUP are pandering to their own hard-core base east of the Bann - but not all Unionists will be at all happy with a "No Deal" and will blame the DUP for any economic fall-out.

A "No Deal" will energize Nationalists to start to push for a Re-United Ireland. They may well find support in Greens and Alliance - and possibly some moderate Unionists if they believe they will get a decent deal in a Re-United Ireland.

If the DUP had used their heads they would have gone for the Special status in the North - and sold it as a Unionist DUP victory - and possibly the economical benefits accruing would have delayed a Re-United Ireland for a lot longer if Nationalists had bought into it too.

Now, it a "No Deal" emerges, it is a nightmare scenario for the DUP in the real world - they are deluded beyong redemption if they seriously think that a "No Deal" will permanently copper-fastern partition -> it will result in be the exact opposite in the real world.

NMunsterman

So the long held dream of a united Ireland gins traction. The song went:

A nation once again,
A nation once again,
Ireland long a Provence be,
A nation once again.

So it will change to:

800 years to get to be free,
and now we give it all away.

Finland just celebrated 100 years of Finnish independence last year.
You should write to the Finnish Govt and advise them that they are not independent.

Be sure to keep us posted as to their reply.

Last edited:

valamhic

Personally, I believe that any unification process will be costly. That doesn't by any means lead me towards opposition to a well-planned and inclusive united Ireland scenario. On the contrary, I witnessed the solidarity shown by West Germans through their Deutschemark and later their Euros with their Eastern neighbours. The memory of that solidarity was, and perhaps still is, part of the glue that kept the new country together. It seems to me something similar would be the case in Ireland.
It was until your fake green globalism arrived

SideysGhost

I think it will be costly but nowhere near as costly as the loyalist trolls make out. As sad a defense as 'you couldn't afford us we're too much of a basket case' is, it's not entirely true. If you take out NI's contribution to Trident, trillion pound wars in the Middle East, armoured land rovers for yer man to crash into members of the public etc.(could you imagine if he were a muslim?) and realistically England won't seek to put part of it's debt on NI, they'll just be glad to get rid. I expect there to be some uproar however. Redundancies for many a 50-something year old civil servant and not to mention that the ridiculous layers in NI would have to be dismantled. NI has 6 regional education authorities for example, lol.
I cannot understand* why the myth of the Magical Inflating Subvention is so persistent and pervasive

There have been actual detailed studies - by German economists, no less - into just how much the subvention actually is and/or how ridiculously skewed and flawed the reported numbers actually are. Nobody seems to care about silly old facts on this matter, they just want to bellyache endlessly about how Reunification would cost eleventy bazillion shekels a week and give cancer to kittens. Show them the actual numbers and they'll either cry "Fake News!", or pipe down for an hour before popping up on another thread claiming the subvention is now 7 billion more than whatever their initial claim was.

Department accused of wanting to delay report on the cost of a united Ireland until 'after Brexit'

Brexit Bombshell: All Northern Ireland people would be better off in a new united Ireland says new report | David Hencke

* I am of course fully aware that the people who bang on about the cost of the Magical Inflating Subvention are ideologically opposed to a UI under any and all circumstances, and merely use the Magical Inflating Subvention as a convenient cloak to hide behind.

valamhic

Finland just celebrated 100t years of Finnish independence last year.
You should write to the Finnish Govt and advise them that they are not independent.

Be sure to keep us posted as to their reply.
They most certainly are not independent. They are subservient to the dictate of Angela Merkal and Emamual Macron.

titute.org/7559/finland-migrant-crisis

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2018/12/finland-police-warn-of-migrants-sexually-exploiting-young-girls-say-i-hope-this-will-not-result-in-more-racism

It is being forced to host ridiculous wind farms and there are several groups in touch with me for help. I am helping them with a study of the effects of noise right now. The British gave the EU a go, they got engaged, married and after living in it for a while they got out. Lucky them.

valamhic

Only for Northern Ireland , we in the south could not survive. Long may it continue, if there is a vote, I'm voting NO.

SideysGhost

Only for Northern Ireland , we in the south could not survive. Long may it continue, if there is a vote, I'm voting NO.
OK it's a Val post, therefore swivel-eyed deranged and totally adrift from anything even remotely resembling the really real world. But you do have to *boggle* at whatever the fnck this gibberish is supposed to mean! :unsure: :roflmao:

NMunsterman

They most certainly are not independent. They are subservient to the dictate of Angela Merkal and Emamual Macron.

titute.org/7559/finland-migrant-crisis

https://www.jihadwatch.org/2018/12/finland-police-warn-of-migrants-sexually-exploiting-young-girls-say-i-hope-this-will-not-result-in-more-racism

It is being forced to host ridiculous wind farms and there are several groups in touch with me for help. I am helping them with a study of the effects of noise right now. The British gave the EU a go, they got engaged, married and after living in it for a while they got out. Lucky them.

"They (Finland) most certainly are not independent"

You merely undermine any credibility you might have with that infantile nonsense.

SideysGhost

"They (Finland) most certainly are not independent"

You merely undermine any credibility you might have with that infantile nonsense.
I'm fairly sure there's an actual Law against putting "Val" and "credible" in the same sentence. Or even in the same book.

valamhic

OK it's a Val post, therefore swivel-eyed deranged and totally adrift from anything even remotely resembling the really real world. But you do have to *boggle* at whatever the fnck this gibberish is supposed to mean! :unsure: :roflmao:
Since I was old enough to observe, I saw the poor people from the South head north to buy food, fuel and tools at 70% the price in the South. I was able to equip my workshop with high quality used tools at variety markets for 10% of the price here. I can order stuff on line and have it sent to a Northern Address saving postage. My hobby is target shooting , my Northern friends can have a more than one gun on the one licence, here it's 80 Euros per gun for 3 years and its a big complement to get it. Reloading is not allowed here it is in the North.

The supply chain has improved in the south in recent years, but nothing like the North. A few friends of mine moved house to the North and would not come back. No do they have to suffer Eamon Ryan.

firefly123

funny that considering they have one chief fire officer for the province whereas we have something like 30.
They aren't all wrong.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies