• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

5,000 people to march for Navan Hospital on Sat 30th of Oct

bradán feasa

The centre of Navan will close tomorrow when over 5,000 people will take to the streets in support of Our Lady’s hospital. All sporting orgs in the county including te GAA have cancelled matches tomorrow to facilitate attendance. All schools have asked parents and children to attend, as have the RC and CoI churches. Its gonna be a big one. Well done to Peadar Tóibín and all those who have put in the work.

wart

and just look at the beautiful day we have for it.

cya there!!! :)

owedtojoy

The centre of Navan will close tomorrow when over 5,000 people will take to the streets in support of Our Lady’s hospital. All sporting orgs in the county including te GAA have cancelled matches tomorrow to facilitate attendance. All schools have asked parents and children to attend, as have the RC and CoI churches. Its gonna be a big one. Well done to Peadar Tóibín and all those who have put in the work.
Not a Sinn Fein supporter, but Peadar and his committee have done a fantastic job rallying people from across the county.

I expect they will reach the goal of 5000 marchers with maybe a 1000 or so more to spare.

I'll be there, voting with my feet .... if you are in the Navan area, the march promises to be good crack, with a festive atmosphere. There are worse ways to spend a family afternoon. And, btw, the weather IS good at the moment.

Cato

Sad thing is that even if 10,000 people turn out, I doubt that it will make any difference, it being very difficult to turn Mary Harney (or indeed to maneuver her in any way).

LeDroit

'5,000 people march to demand money that doesn't exist'

and in other news. . .

'Woman on hunger strike to demand dead husband is brought back to life'

Proof, if it were needed, that emotional people don't 'do' reality.

Panopticon

As long as Irish people continue to think that the county jersey their hospital wears is more important than the ability of our country to match government spending with income, we are going to have perverse, localist, gombeen politics.

Sinn Féin are just another kind of localist parish pump party.

Cato

And in yet more news -

Money that doesn't exist used to pay off bond holders.
And that shouldn't happen either, but the existence of one does not justify the existence of the other. It's just pure whataboutery.

Cato

It shows that the hospital isn't being closed because there's no money, it's being closed because the money is being used for something else.
Even without the bank bailout we are still spending €20,000,000,000 more than we take in in taxes. Cuts would still have to be made (and, yes, new taxes raised too).

Is the HSE proposing that there are efficiencies to be gained by moving these services elsewhere?

Aristodemus

A bloody joke. These people have no concern for the health system only their local interests. I'd bet serious money that if the offer to close the Mater in Dublin was offered as an alternative they'd all cheer. It is redolent of "We want Barrabas, we want Barrabas"

paulp

If your child had a serious ilness and needed serious surgery, would you bring them to Navan or one of the Dublin hospitals? Critical services should be concentrated in a smaller number of hospitals, this would mean substantial down scaling of Navan and many others.

I suppose we'll have the Navan hospital independent candidate at the next election.
Parish pump politics at it's worst.

owedtojoy

A bloody joke. These people have no concern for the health system only their local interests. I'd bet serious money that if the offer to close the Mater in Dublin was offered as an alternative they'd all cheer. It is redolent of "We want Barrabas, we want Barrabas"
It is clear to me that the middle class are expected to provide the funding to ensure the wealthy elite continue to live in the manner to which they have become accustomed over the last 30 years.

What you are describing is exactly the "divide and conquer" means the government are using - Sorry, but your little "local service" is now too expensive, and you are too small to count in the "big picture". The "big picture" is clear only to your betters, the wise and the good in the upper echelons of government and the HSE.

Can you tell me what "wise decisions" these clowns have made over the last decade? Can you seriously tell me that you trust them to play fair with your entitlements? I have no problem closing an entire hospital if you can transparently show me the priorities and the necessitities that count ahead of it.

The government having refused to hold any sort of election, a march like this seems the only way to show them they have no mandate to make decisions about my future and that of my family.

paulp

I haven't seen any actual argument in favour of retaining these services in Navan.
There are none on the save navan hospital website or facebook page.

Aristodemus

It is clear to me that the middle class are expected to provide the funding to ensure the wealthy elite continue to live in the manner to which they have become accustomed over the last 30 years.

What you are describing is exactly the "divide and conquer" means the government are using - Sorry, but your little "local service" is now too expensive, and you are too small to count in the "big picture". The "big picture" is clear only to your betters, the wise and the good in the upper echelons of government and the HSE.

Can you tell me what "wise decisions" these clowns have made over the last decade? Can you seriously tell me that you trust them to play fair with your entitlements? I have no problem closing an entire hospital if you can transparently show me the priorities and the necessitities that count ahead of it.

The government having refused to hold any sort of election, a march like this seems the only way to show them they have no mandate to make decisions about my future and that of my family.
I am not defending the people who make these decisions and my concern is with the Health Service in its entirety. The problem is with people like you who are woken from their torpor only when a decision impinges on their cosy lifestyle. When you go join a protest march in Tipperary to object to the downgrading or closure of a local hospital there. then you can voice your outrage.

Baron von Biffo

Even without the bank bailout we are still spending €20,000,000,000 more than we take in in taxes. Cuts would still have to be made (and, yes, new taxes raised too).

Is the HSE proposing that there are efficiencies to be gained by moving these services elsewhere?
Let me declare an interest here. I have a chronic illness that sometimes flares up in acute episodes that require urgent intervention at a hospital or I'll die. If Portlaoise hospital closes I wont survive to get the treatment in Tullamore. I know that closing hospitals is a death sentence for some people.

The HSE may well claim they're moving services but the reality is they're merely moving the patients. We've seen in the past few weeks how Cavan hospital was swamped by patients because it wasn't properly resourced to cope with the extra demand from closing other services in the area.

Baron von Biffo

If what you suggest was proposed, the people in the Mater catchment area would no doubt accept it without a word of protest. After all they have several other hospitals within a very short distance.

Baron von Biffo

If your child had a serious ilness and needed serious surgery, would you bring them to Navan or one of the Dublin hospitals? Critical services should be concentrated in a smaller number of hospitals, this would mean substantial down scaling of Navan and many others.

I suppose we'll have the Navan hospital independent candidate at the next election.
Parish pump politics at it's worst.
If your child needed emergency treatment would you take it to the nearest hospital or travel miles in heavy traffic to another?

paulp

If your child needed emergency treatment would you take it to the nearest hospital or travel miles in heavy traffic to another?
I agree that we should have a widely distributed system of emergency A&E which operate at a level that can be sustained without having a full hospital behind it, maybe more a paramedic type service.

Immediate medical aid should be available.

However, other services, ie general surgical, oncology, paediatric etc. should be concentrated into fewer locations.

I live in the midlands, if my child needed emergency treatment, it would be to the nearest hospital followed by trip to Dublin as soon as possible as I don't trust the smaller hospitals.