5 Anglican bishops join Catholic Church

Tomas Mor

Do we want those old disaffected fogies. We have enough of our own ! This is not an anti catholic rant.

Schomberg

Considering the CofE is just a wishy washy liberal roman catholic church anyway...it's not in the least bit surprising. probably the best thing that can happen to the CofE at this stage...

ellie08

The Catholic church has better dresses and tiaras - no wonder they were tempted to join.

...... if you're a man that is!

Scipio

Considering the CofE is just a wishy washy liberal roman catholic church anyway...it's not in the least bit surprising. probably the best thing that can happen to the CofE at this stage...
Large elements of the C of E, I think, wouldn't be comfortable in the Roman Catholic Church. Their liberalism would prevent it. :)

An American Episcopalian type split could be on the cards in England if Williams doesn't do a better job of managing this situation. His task though, from what I read, is looking impossibly complicated.

johnfás

They are not the first, they will not be the last and equally it will not destroy the Anglican Church. I equally know countless countless lay members of the Catholic Church who are now prominent members in their local Protestant church of numerous denominations. It is swings and roundabouts and if anything simply demonstrates that we now live in a society where it is much easier for one to follow their conscience and religious beliefs, rather than being hamstrung by the prevailing nationalistic-religious culture. Ireland has not yet moved to this sort of position, when we see people on the television saying "I can't stand the Catholic Church, but where else would I go?"

SevenStars

I think this is more to do with people not being able to stand the sheer idiocy of Liberal Protestantism and the weirdness of a lot of the Continuing Anglican churches than the wonders of the Church of Rome.

Catalpa

Congratulations to the Sacred Congregation de propaganda fide

Well done Lads!:D

However this does raise an interesting point.

As a baptised Catholic can I feel myself to be part of the Church without necessarily following every last detail to the Letter?

The report says:

The Vatican has said groups of Anglicans could join Catholicism, but maintain a distinct religious identity.

Surely this would also allow a drift in the other direction too and into the Anglican Church without those who join feeling they have become Apostates?

This could be very interesting....:)

Cato

I think this is more to do with people not being able to stand the sheer idiocy of Liberal Protestantism and the weirdness of a lot of the Continuing Anglican churches than the wonders of the Church of Rome.
If that were the case would they not have joined another Protestant church?

Nordie Northsider

As we speak SF strategists are examining the implications for an eventual Catholic majority in the North.:p

SevenStars

If that were the case would they not have joined another Protestant church?
Not if they believe in Apostolic Sucession as being necessary to preform the Communion service they wouldnt.

Cato

Not if they believe in Apostolic Sucession as being necessary to preform the Communion service they wouldnt.
Pardon my ignorance but are there not other Protestant churches that go in for that nonsense too?

Scipio

Will there be any impact of these developments/divisions on the Church of Ireland I wonder?

Pardon my ignorance but are there not other Protestant churches that go in for that nonsense too?
Surely the Orthodox Church also fits the bill.

theObserver@hotmail.com

It's nice that Christianity has so many career options. But I recommend that people shop around for their spiritual needs : With over 3000 different denominations you are bound to find a brand that fits conviently into your lifestyle while sooting any existential angst. Remember: YOU'RE special. Jesus loves ya.
And now with our patented JesusLoveYa personality test, we will match you with the denomination that best fits your personality ! But wait! And there is more! Order now we'll send you a free copy of the bible recommended by your chosen sect! Yes, choose from over 50 different versions* of salvation! What are you waiting for?! **

*(Roman Catholics shall receive a summary of Aquinas's works. Anglicans shall receive a copy of Wittgenstein inspired obfuscations. Evangelicals shall receive Aggressive Marketing in the Modern World.)

**Females, please remember to include the written permission slip signed by your husband or male guardian.

euryalus

And I know several Catholics who attend Anglican churches, one of whom finds them more "traditional", while the others object to the supposed "anti-liberal" nature of their own church. That, however, is not the point - the real point is, surely, that we know have freedom of worship. That is what the Reformation was all about (and why the inhabitants of England, Ireland and Scotland fought a series of vicious civil wars during the 17th century).

ocoonassa

How much does an Anglican Bishop get paid and how much does a Catholic Bishop get paid? If you're going to profess bullshít you don't really believe in for money then it's probably best to go with the bigger wages.

SevenStars

And I know several Catholics who attend Anglican churches, one of whom finds them more "traditional", while the others object to the supposed "anti-liberal" nature of their own church. That, however, is not the point - the real point is, surely, that we know have freedom of worship. That is what the Reformation was all about (and why the inhabitants of England, Ireland and Scotland fought a series of vicious civil wars during the 17th century).
No it wasnt....It was about Justification.

Luther blessed the suppression of the Anabaptists and Calvin burnt heretics at the stake.

SevenStars

The Nordic Catholic Church....But its well in Scandanavia and very conservative. Also I think the Swedish Lutherans.

New Threads

Most Replies