• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

5 tips for talking about politics on social media

Ruff says Flaherty

Some simple pointers here that most people seem to ignore when it comes to discussing politics on social media!

5 Tips for Talking About Politics on Social Media | Entrepreneur.com

Here they are in short:

1. Don't insult anyone.
2. Be open minded.
3. Don't argue.
4. Retweet and share articles or posts by trusted, non-biased news sources.
5. Don't try to change people's minds.

Do you agree or disagree with them? Are they adhered to here?

Discuss.

Last edited:

Cato

THe OP could have been improved with a simple addition of the 'headline' of each tip.

1. Don't insult anyone.
2. Be open minded.
3. Don't argue.
They seem fine as they go and discussions concerning politics on social media would certainly benefit if everyone adhered to them.

Ruff says Flaherty

THe OP could have been improved with a simple addition of the 'headline' of each tip.

They seem fine as they go and discussions concerning politics on social media would certainly benefit if everyone adhered to them.
Good call,edited.

Bonsai Experiment

Some simple pointers here that most people seem to ignore when it comes to discussing politics on social media!

Here they are in short:

1. Don't insult anyone.
2. Be open minded.
3. Don't argue.

Discuss.
You sound like my granny.... dont argue ? ...Dont try to change peoples minds ? Don't go out without a scarf and gloves either.

Ruff says Flaherty

You sound like my granny.... dont argue ? ...Dont try to change peoples minds ? Don't go out without a scarf and gloves either.
I didn't say whether I agreed or disagreed, did I? As for gloves and scarf, probably more important to wear a hat.

Cato

I'm reading argument in those tips as meaning in an aggressive way not in a 'philosophical argument' kind of way.

The expanded bit on 'don't change minds' also clarifies the point bit.

westernyelp

Here they are in short:

1. Don't insult anyone.
2. Be open minded.
3. Don't argue.

Discuss.
What is the point in debate if you are not trying to change people's minds?

Ruff says Flaherty

I'm reading argument in those tips as meaning in an aggressive way not in a 'philosophical argument' kind of way.

The expanded bit on 'don't change minds' also clarifies the point bit.
Precisely. How many threads on here have one of the following; "blue shirt" "shinner" and "West Brit" ,insults thrown in? Now I'll admit they can be humorous when used in context, and tongue in cheek, on here it usually ends up with good threads being ruined by a splattering of nonsense. I usually just end up getting sick of trawling through the thread looking for the decent posts, and end up not bothering.

SFInbhear

Due to number five being close to impossible on a politics website (as most contributors are party hard core), most time is spent indulging in number one!!!

stopdoingstuff

1. Makes sense.
2. Makes sense.
3. Makes sense if your online profile is linked to your business, but obviously does not apply to most cases.
4. Makes sense again if your online profile is primarily business related and you don't want people to see your Infowars link and think, "hmmmmm......". Otherwise, fire away.
5. Makes sense for the same reasons as above. Even on political websites, the minds most likely to be changed are those reading the post as opposed to those participating in it.

Doing business certainly socializes people- you watch your step because it could cost you financially if you don't. A kind of natural and voluntary censorship.

Spanner Island

Here they are in short:

1. Don't insult anyone.
2. Be open minded.
3. Don't argue.

Discuss.
If all those were adhered to this site wouldn't exist...

Ruff says Flaherty

Very unfair post,in my opinion.
Pretty simple really,you either;do or don't.

I personally don't think I could be insulted on an anonymous message board, but maybe that's just me. It's different than a personal attack in real life.

Ruff says Flaherty

If all those were adhered to this site wouldn't exist...
Ya you're probably right, it wouldn't be as entertaining anyway. Getting the balance right is important though. I think some people just come on to antagonise others and vent their frustrations at life though. Not very constructive.

olamp

Here they are in short:

1. Don't insult anyone.
2. Be open minded.
3. Don't argue.

Discuss.
Impossible! A discussion on politics without arguing? Impossible!

Radix

Here they are in short:

1. Don't insult anyone.
2. Be open minded.
3. Don't argue.

Discuss.
The most important thing should be not to insult anyone, since 'mud thrown, is ground lost'.

The outstanding posters in this regard to my mind, are normally longer standing contributors who have learned this through experience, and they alone make this site workable, and I wouldn't be here otherwise.

They are mostly mods, so well done Politics.ie....

statsman

1. Don't insult anyone.
Very good rule of thumb.

2. Be open minded.
Ditto.

3. Don't argue.
Don't be argumentative would be a better rule. Well constructed, rational arguments are pure gold dust on nhere and we need a lot more of them.

Indeed. However, one person's trusted, non biased news source is another person's 'Pravda'. How could we go about reaching consensus?

I see no point in discussing politics without some notion that you and the person you are disagreeing with might find some common ground. If by 'change other people's mind' you mean 'fail to find common ground', I'd disagree; if you mean convert them to your position, fair enough.

Ruff says Flaherty

Very good rule of thumb.

Ditto.

Don't be argumentative would be a better rule. Well constructed, rational arguments are pure gold dust on nhere and we need a lot more of them.

Indeed. However, one person's trusted, non biased news source is another person's 'Pravda'. How could we go about reaching consensus?

I see no point in discussing politics without some notion that you and the person you are disagreeing with might find some common ground. If by 'change other people's mind' you mean 'fail to find common ground', I'd disagree; if you mean convert them to your position, fair enough.
5 is a tricky one. Maybe it's a case of laying points or argument, and letting the other person make their own mind up, opposed to aggressively bombarding them with your viewpoint with the goal of changing their mind(which ironically usually has the opposite effect). It's a bit unclear how it should be construed alright though.

4 I'd see as basically not backing up ones argument or basis of their view on a certain topic with an article from a source which is clearly questionable. I know some sources are borderline ie The Sun(more on the dodgy side if you ask me,but anyway) but really questionable ones anyone who spends time online would be able to spot.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies