• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

5 year jail sentence for harrassing a guard

GDPR

A 55 year old man has been sentenced to 5 years in jail for harassment of a guard between March 2009 and May 2011. He was convicted earlier this month of posting 58 messages on the websites Rate-Your-Solicitor and Victims of the Legal Profession, alleging, among other things, that the Sergeant had withheld evidence in a previous case involving the accused and had also made up to 12 harassing phone calls to the Sergeant.

No doubt the harassment was upsetting, yet the 5 years jail term, something you don't even see for violent offences like assault and rape, is off the wall completely. The judge issues the harsh sentence to "send out a message to any other that thinks of spreading information that is grossly defamatory". What say p.ie?

Man sentenced to five years in jail for harassing a garda on the internet
http://www.thejournal.ie/garda-sergeant-man-found-guilty-harassment-2878125-Jul2016/

Last edited:

amsterdemmetje

A 55 year old man has been sentenced to 5 years in jail for harassment of a guard between March 2009 and May 2011. He was convicted earlier this month of posting 58 messages on the websites Rate-Your-Solicitor and Victims of the Legal Profession, alleging, among other things, that the Sergeant had withheld evidence in a previous case involving the accused and had also made up to 12 harassing phone calls to the Sergeant.

No doubt the harassment was upsetting, yet the 5 years jail term, something you don't even see for violent offences like assault and rape, is off the wall completely. The judge issues the harsh sentence to "send out a message to any other that thinks of spreading information that is grossly defamatory". What say p.ie?

That doesnt make sense you can bate the living jaysus out of a Guard in this country (or anyone else for that matter)and get told to lay off the drink and give a few pound to the poor box.

GDPR

That doesnt make sense you can bate the living jaysus out of a Guard in this country (or anyone else for that matter)and get told to lay off the drink and give a few pound to the poor box.
Yep, seems absolutely crazy. Added another link there with a little more background.

amsterdemmetje

I have sympathy for the Guard yer man seems like a right tool having said that, whats the bets the cop gets some sort of compo for stress.

Mercurial

The judge issues the harsh sentence to "send out a message to any other that thinks of spreading information that is grossly defamatory". What say p.ie?
I think the message here is that if someone pisses you off, you should beat the sh*t out of them rather than defame them, and you'll probably spend less time in prison.

ne0ica

This is typical of the liberal nonsense afflicting Ireland today.

You can beat up a Guard but heaven forbid you hurt his feeling via social media.

cricket

I'd say there's a fair chance that the perp posted here.

stopdoingstuff

I think the message here is that if someone pisses you off, you should beat the sh*t out of them rather than defame them, and you'll probably spend less time in prison.
When he's right, he's right.

Sister Mercedes

He was convicted earlier this month of posting 58 messages on the websites Rate-Your-Solicitor and Victims of the Legal Profession
It was posting on those sites that would have been the bigger crime in the eyes of an Irish judge.

Ardillaun

One example, from many, of a serious crime treated more leniently:

Pair jailed for vicious street attack on Spaniard - Independent.ie

When the foreign nationals explained that they hadn't a cigarette to offer the group, the youngsters immediately became aggressive and a fracas erupted.

Mr Roca was first struck with a wooden samurai sword before Cotter hit him with a golf club over the head.
Cotter later told Gardai: "I wanted to do damage. I was in a temper. I wanted to kill him."

Mr Roca suffered a fractured skull and had to undergo emergency surgery at Cork University Hospital (CUH). He required 21 staples to the head wound and screws had to be used to reinforce his damaged skull.

artfoley56

It was posting on those sites that would have been the bigger crime in the eyes of an Irish judge.
in all fairness some of the posting here is criminal

Fractional Reserve

The guy seems to have form on harassing people so he didn't learn this might put a halt to his gallop .

Man who made posts online found guilty of harassing Garda sergeant

loner

Wonder what he would get if he was a banker and defrauded the State of millionns---Probably a community service order

Truth.ie

The guy seems to have form on harassing people so he didn't learn this might put a halt to his gallop .
How is making a negative comment on "Rate my solicitor" harassment?
What if the comment he made was factual?

So, if i go on Ryanairs website and claim I was treated shoddily, I can go to jail if Ryanair claims its defamatory??

Fractional Reserve

How is making a negative comment on "Rate my solicitor" harassment?
What if the comment he made was factual?

So, if i go on Ryanairs website and claim I was treated shoddily, I can go to jail if Ryanair claims its defamatory??
The guy has form for harassing people he seems to be a bit of a gobshyte .
What if what he said was completely defamatory?

Calvin J. Hamilton

Everything Gardai is good, they never do any wrong, they never lie, murder people, intimidate people,take bribes and show favouritism to their relatives and friends, they are doing such a fine job while coping with SCARCE RESCOURCES. They are just wonderful, they are so wonderful that you should stand well back when they are going by lest you get burnt from the sunshine emanating from their backsides and the halos on their heads

GDPR

And yet ironically AGS have always claimed that they had limited scope for investigating cyber-harrassment and that Irish law provided very weak protection for victims. So they chose not to recommend prosecution because the legal position was insufficently clear,

LOL.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
One of the feral baswards had 84 previous and the fooker is only 20 , the fooker will be around to terrorise for years.This boyos need their arms put in a cast for a while with no pain killers.
I am against violence, but this pair deserved a ten year minimum sentence for that attack.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies