• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

50,000 extra social houses needed

GDPR

The report of the housing and homelessness committee is recommending that an extra 50,000 social houses are urgently needed to meet demand at a rate of 10,000 per year. The 155 page report which is to inform the housing minister of actions urgently needed to tackle this issue in their action plan due in late July. A shakeup of planning, procurement, mortgage difficulties, homelessness, private rental sector and legal issues are also recommended. This issue has been dragging on for a long time and it remains to be seen whether this time it will be different. Thoughts?

At least 50,000 more social housing units needed - report

Priority Recommendations
 Increase the social housing stock (owned by local authorities and approved housing bodies) by at least 50,000 units (an annual average of 10,000 per year) through a programme of acquisition, refurbishment and new build.
 Reduce the Part 8 planning process from 8 to 6 weeks. Where there are unreasonable delays beyond the 6 weeks, emergency powers (such as the statutory provisions of section 179 of the Planning and Development Act) should be invoked. Also, encourage greater use of Part 8 for AHBs where appropriate as it is
for local authorities for a period of 18 months.
 The Minister should consider the establishment of a Housing Procurement Agency with staff from the Housing Agency, NTMA, Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government, and the Department of Finance to assist local authorities and approved housing bodies to deliver their social housing programme through supports including funding and procurement.
 Introduce a system of rent certainty by linking rent reviews to an index such as the Consumer Price Index (CPI) and review annually.
 Increase security of tenure and protection from evictions for tenants by:
o Introducing a scheme whereby a housing association or local authority can
purchase a rental property from an exiting investor (Rent switch
programme).
o Increasing security of tenure from the current 4 year period.
o Establishing legal safeguards to allow tenants to remain in situ during and
after sale of property
o Amend the Residential Tenancies Act to outlaw the sale of property as
grounds for evicting a tenant, except in exceptional circumstances where
severe financial hardship can be proven by the landlord.
 The Government should, at a minimum, before the summer Recess and as a matter of urgency, fully and quickly implement the programme for Government’s strategy to deal with mortgage arrears.
 Subject to advice of the Attorney General, the Government should introduce legislation for a moratorium on home repossessions until such time as the Government’s proposals are in place.
 Increase the use of long-term solutions to mortgage distress, including Mortgage-to-Rent (MTR), split mortgages, debt writedowns and downsizing.
 The Government should urgently seek flexibility from the European Commission on the application of the EU fiscal rules to the financing of social housing.
 The Government should provide the maximum possible direct Exchequer investment in the provision of social housing in the Capital Programme.
 The Government should establish an off-balance sheet funding mechanism to provide additional investment in social and affordable housing.
 The Government should seek to mobilise as quickly as possible, all possible sources of funding, including funding from the Housing Finance Agency, Strategic Investment Fund, the Irish League of Credit Unions and Irish Pension Funds, to increase the supply of social and affordable housing.
 Rent Supplement and Housing Assistance Payments should be increased to reflect current market rates, and appropriate legislative safeguards should be put in place to ensure rent certainty.
 Amend the National Asset Management Agency Act 2009 (S.2 and S.10) to allow NAMA to be an agent for the provision of social housing.
 NAMA should use its cash reserves to tackle the housing and homelessness crisis.
 Reinstate the policy of ring-fencing 50% of local authority allocations to the priority list in Dublin and other areas where homelessness is acute. The policy should be reviewed every six months and should ensure that the needs of longterm homeless people are met.
 Ensure that no homeless shelters are closed until alternative accommodation is available elsewhere.
 Housing First should be significantly expanded and prioritise the long-term homeless.
 There should be increased resourcing for and improved coordination between HSE mental health services and homeless service providers to ensure that the needs of people with mental health issues are met within the homeless system.
http://www.oireachtas.ie/parliament/media/committees/32housingandhomelessness/Final-Report-.pdf

Last edited:

PBP voter

Around 35000 of them will be empty if they are ever build.

As the recovery continues people will buy their own houses.

Catalpast

In Fingal Co Council some half of those on the housing list are not even Irish

- as the policy of all parties in Leinster House is to see further mass immigration

- and to prioritise 'refugees' over Irish People for housing

- then how can they possibly expect to house them all from public funds?

Catalpast

As the recovery continues then more immigrants will arrive

- putting more pressure on the housing market...

Hitchcock

In Fingal Co Council some half of those on the housing list are not even Irish

- as the policy of all parties in Leinster House is to see further mass immigration

- and to prioritise 'refugees' over Irish People for housing

- then how can they possibly expect to house them all from public funds?
Yep it's migration, that's the problem :roll:

prioritise 'refugees' over Irish People for housing
Have you got the figures on this?

mr. jings

The Oireachtas Housing and Homelessness Committee. Chaired by John Curran. FF John Curran. FF ex-whip John Curran. Feck's sake.

Harmonica

Maybe 50k is required but I hope they are not using the housing list as their information. Anyone who meets the criteria can add themselves to that list - in no way does it mean must accept a house when provided. I'd be interested in how many people on that list never accept a house from the local authority.

hammer

Plenty of jobs created also.

49000 families can move out of rental
accommodation. Who will replace them?

The Field Marshal

Who would bother renting out any property to anybody when the likes of overpaid TDs like FG .Fergus ODowd claims the state can do what it likes during a so called "housing emergency"

That mad fool is hinting that tenants should have a right to stay forever in any property they rent and that the landlord can never sell the property.

Insane comments of this kind will destroy any hope in Ireland for any kind of regulated
rental sector becuase no rational person would ever opt to rent out anything.

This idiocy happened in Ireland before and the result was widespread urban dereliction
as properties delapidated due to lack of interest

Eire1976

As the recovery continues then more immigrants will arrive

- putting more pressure on the housing market...
That is the plan from certain quarters, amazing how they seem to be getting away with it.

Watcher2

It does seem excessive. How many housing units are needed in total? I did read somewhere (or heard on the radio, or both) that the upper end housing requirement in the country is 23,000 units per year for the next X years (I think it was 5 years). So that means c. 40% of the required demand for housing stock is coming from the social part of the country. Is that not excessive?

It also appears to me that once you get a social house in this country, you get to more or less keep the thing for as long as you like. Anybody have the numbers for people leaving social housing to buy their own or do they simopl7y wait for the local authority to sell it down the road to them at knock down prices?

Last edited:

Watcher2

Who would bother renting out any property to anybody when the likes of overpaid TDs like FG .Fergus ODowd claims the state can do what it likes during a so called "housing emergency"

That mad fool is hinting that tenants should have a right to stay forever in any property they rent and that the landlord can never sell the property.

Insane comments of this kind will destroy any hope in Ireland for any kind of regulated
rental sector becuase no rational person would ever opt to rent out anything.

This idiocy happened in Ireland before and the result was widespread urban dereliction
as properties delapidated due to lack of interest
I did not hear or read O'Dowds comments but if it relates to the idea that if a rented house is sold, the tenant should not automatically be evicted. I agree that that should be a right of the tenant because in fairness, tenants need more security of tenure, however, if a landlord wants or needs to sell, the sitting tenant should have the right to remain until the end of the lease with no further rights attaching. The house being sold should do so under those conditions i.e. that the sitting tenant remains until the lease is up. The condit6ion would be priced into the sale so the landlord would have to suck it up, or the purchaser, if another landlord, would reap the benefit.

Watcher2

Bedsits. Live in one of those? A cell with no bars on the window. Top rent of course. I must have lived in the ultimate bedsit at one time. The kitchen was in a wardrobe. You opened the door and there before you was a tiny two ring cooker. To the left of that was a tiny sink and to the right a tiny counter. The whole spectacle illuminated by a tiny window in the wall which could be neither closed nor opened.
Every time you cooked a little piece of you died.
Ha, I was in one exactly like that in the early 90's. I was a student. It was fine but I was only there for about three months so perhaps not enough time for it to "get in on me".

meriwether

How many social units become available from their tenants moving out after having secured work and the ability to fund their own rent /mortgage?

realistic1

Dont worry there is a mass imigration game in play at the moment and this will be another main reason to build them. Gettos of the future here we come.

Dr Lovemuffin

Its just irrational to give free access to council houses in an open door migrant system. Either we have open door migration OR offer a social welfare system (including council housing). WE CAN'T HAVE BOTH - SIMPLE SUPPLY AND DEMAND.

freewillie

Can anyone explain why migrants come and get work but "our own" scroungers just cant seem to find work?
And dont give me the line that the immigrants are all in ************************e low paid jobs.

thelimit

Can anyone explain why migrants come and get work but "our own" scroungers just cant seem to find work?
And dont give me the line that the immigrants are all in ************************e low paid jobs.
Who said anything about work, the new Irish I see don't want work it’s the last thing they want FFS,
just had the misfortune to drive through Longford heading out the lanesborough rd. I had to double check if I was in Pakistan or Longford 3pm on a Friday and all of them didn’t look as if they were concerned about work ,
handy auld gig this refugee thingy

and just for referance

a guy I no from the Congo now living here himself and the woman from another part of war torn where ever have just produced their 6th kid neither have worked or will but have a lovely people carrier now , really nice council house all doing grand , well feed and dressed
Both arrived without each other seen the opportunity of an easy life and took it, great to see mine and my family’s taxes keeping them

On another note I have a very good friend from Africa Black as black but they have left as they are embarrassed as to what is now living and arriving around them as they say how can I be raciest I’m blacker than any of them

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies