• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

50 reasons to love ireland

langrishe

50 reasons to love Ireland - Breaking News | Irish & International Headlines | The Irish Times - Sat, Mar 16, 2013

Didn't see this posted anywhere else; the reasons why IT writers are proud of ireland (our, style, our bakeries, our president for the oppressed). This list is laughable for so many reasons. For example, our embracing of feminism is cited as a reason to love ireland yet the writer doesn'tt even mention any irish feminist voices. Eileen battersby mentions 2 reasons; what she terms 'the new honesty' where we are not afraid to address issues and secondly, our love of horses, as displayed since the horsemeat scandal (?). She doesn't seem to appreciate that the new honesty she is so fond of hasn't reached the food industry as yet!

Anyone got any better reasons to love Ireland?

bkeith

Our bakeries? Irish produced bread, cakes, and pastries are certainly the worst europe, baking is something we definitely don't do well.

theObserver@hotmail.com

50 reasons to love Ireland - Breaking News | Irish & International Headlines | The Irish Times - Sat, Mar 16, 2013

Didn't see this posted anywhere else; the reasons why IT writers are proud of ireland (our, style, our bakeries, our president for the oppressed). This list is laughable for so many reasons. For example, our embracing of feminism is cited as a reason to love ireland yet the writer doesn'tt even mention any irish feminist voices. Eileen battersby mentions 2 reasons; what she terms 'the new honesty' where we are not afraid to address issues and secondly, our love of horses, as displayed since the horsemeat scandal (?). She doesn't seem to appreciate that the new honesty she is so fond of hasn't reached the food industry as yet!

I read the first couple and couldn't read any more.

Analyzer

I agree with Fintan O'Toole, concerning the Ballyhea group and their dignified protest. They are to be admired.

Many of the other entries are pure drivel.

I expect to see many of them in the Phoenix, under the "Hot Air Brigade" line up of Irish media nonsense, in the next edition.

Last edited:

fuque

a better thread would be 50 reasons to hate Ireland. I hate Ireland so much i couldnt be ar.sed startin it...

dresden8

Apparently we were thrilled when the queen tried a bit of Irish.

That's just needy you geebag.

pippakin

Crumpets I would love Ireland for its crumpets but I can't find a shop that sells them here.

Rural

I used to love it, I used to love it once, a long, long time ago, now it's gone, all my lovin' is gone.

Sense 0f Wonder

Ah come on ffs.. get in the mood!

Ireland is a lovely place to go to get away from it all... you know.. all that humanity.

It's a misanthrope's Eden!

Very fertile land though. And lots of sea. We're extremely lucky to have both.

That said, it's all a little bit tainted by the knowledge that Ireland is divided... by borders and "peace lines" and murals acting as warning signs. It's a blemish on the place and on us (both communities).

meriwether

I haven't read the list, but some of mine are:
-GAA
-Horse racing
-Riverdance
-Irish music
-Mild climate
-No natural disasters
-Rich literary heritage
-A traditional pub
-Galway city
-Some lovely scenery
-Amazing political history
-Cntreist politics with almost zero extremists. Note how successfully many immigrants have been absorbed with no extreme right wing presence.

Theres plenty of stuff to dislike, but a lot of those nengatives are not unique to Ireland.

james5001

The ability to absorb yourself into the transcendental nature of the irish countryside.
And boxty.

Rural

I haven't read the list, but some of mine are:
-GAA
-Horse racing
-Riverdance
-Irish music
-Mild climate
-No natural disasters
-Rich literary heritage
-A traditional pub
-Galway city
-Some lovely scenery
-Amazing political history
-Cntreist politics with almost zero extremists. Note how successfully many immigrants have been absorbed with no extreme right wing presence.

Theres plenty of stuff to dislike, but a lot of those nengatives are not unique to Ireland.

I do agree with you about - Rich literary heritage and the less extreme climates. But the Gaa is flawed, not from the players but from within the powers that be. Horse racing, the sport of Kings. Scenery, we had the most beautiful little village here until the tiger roared, 4 housing estates in this tiny little village with no water or sewage scheme, how beautiful is that? The traditional pub is dying a fast death in the country.

Bonsai Experiment

Crumpets I would love Ireland for its crumpets but I can't find a shop that sells them here.
Its mad that you should say that. Crumpets and muffins are sometimes regarded to be the same thing, but they aren't and I have been trying to find a muffin of late with which to make a sausage egg muffin, But one cannot find a sourdough muffin for love nor money in a supermarket. You might find a sweet one , which is very crumpet like , but that's no good for sausage egg purposes.

pippakin

Its mad that you should say that. Crumpets and muffins are sometimes regarded to be the same thing, but they aren't and I have been trying to find a muffin of late with which to make a sausage egg muffin, But one cannot find a sourdough muffin for love nor money in a supermarket. You might find a sweet one , which is very crumpet like , but that's no good for sausage egg purposes.
I can't see what's so complicated about crumpets that we can't get them here not even in Tesco. Muffins I have seen but since I don't like them I can't remember if they were sweet or not.