• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

50 to 60 Irish addresses linked to anonymised funds stored in tax havens

Josip Broz

Thousands of international off shore rich tax avoiders to be exposed

The Guardian has received the leaked details of thousands of offshore bank accounts of wealthy paople from all over the world.

Leaks reveal secrets of the rich who hide cash offshore | UK news | The Guardian

The paper is working with investgative journalists from all over the world on the story but apparently no Irish papers seem to be involved.

That doesn't mean that some Irish names might not surface.

making waves

Yes indeed $33trillion - who says the rich have no money?

And while the elites hoard this $33trillion we have job losses, cutbacks, poverty, unemployment, despiration and the destruction of society.

Trainwreck

Don't you love a little Grauniad indignance.

So people have bank accounts in the Virgin Islands.

Well Google launders billions for its shareholders through Ireland.

And what about the Grauniad? Did their "exclusive investigaion" unearth GMG Haze3l Acquisition 1 - registered in the Cayman Islands???

No? I wonder why.

Spare us the Grauniad rubbish. This is not news beyond the fact that some people may have their legal financial affairs aired to the public.

Nemesiscorporation

The Guardian has received the leaked details of thousands of offshore bank accounts of wealthy paople from all over the world.

Leaks reveal secrets of the rich who hide cash offshore | UK news | The Guardian

The paper is working with investgative journalists from all over the world on the story but apparently no Irish papers seem to be involved.

That doesn't mean that some Irish names might not surface.

I am really annoyed that Lagarde did not name Irish people in the list of tax defaulters she was wandering around Europe with.

Hopefully there will be some Irish names in this list.

Strangely Annoymous and Wikileaks never release any of those names either. I wonder why?

ShoutingIsLeadership

I am really annoyed that Lagarde did not name Irish people in the list of tax defaulters she was wandering around Europe with.

Hopefully there will be some Irish names in this list.
Who in Ireland would need to evade tax, when one can just go and 'live' in Malta (while leaving one's family in Ireland all year round), thus legally avoiding Irish taxes?

Last edited:

james5001

And what about the Grauniad? Did their "exclusive investigaion" unearth GMG Haze3l Acquisition 1 - registered in the Cayman Islands???

No? I wonder why.

Spare us the Grauniad rubbish. This is not news beyond the fact that some people may have their legal financial affairs aired to the public.

Sync

It's good to get this out there tbh, but it's fantastic fun to see a paper who got so pissy about other papers hacking phones gleefully benefiting from this info that's clearly been obtained illegitimately.

daveL

No? I wonder why.

Say who now?

Clanrickard

Rich people want to keep as much of their money as possible as opposed to handing it over to the government. Well I never!

Nermal

Is the dataset available anywhere?

Seem to recall the Quinns having some BVI entities set up in an attempt to get assets away from Anglo, might be something interesting there...

zakalwe1

It's good to get this out there tbh, but it's fantastic fun to see a paper who got so pissy about other papers hacking phones gleefully benefiting from this info that's clearly been obtained illegitimately.
don't you know the difference between good hacking and bad hacking?

darkhorse

Yes indeed $33trillion - who says the rich have no money?

And while the elites hoard this $33trillion we have job losses, cutbacks, poverty, unemployment, despiration and the destruction of society.
FYI - The 'rich' always have money - otherwise they wouldnt be rich

zakalwe1

personally i think the civilised western nations should park battleships off the coast of every offshore haven until they open up the bank files to see who has what stashed where....

Trainwreck

Why, that is the Grauniad's "offshore tax evading" holding company.

The Grauniad stance is if you have any assets in a Carribean country you are a tax dodging, money laundering, reprobate whose personal information needs to be shared with the world.

Except if you are the Grauniad, in which case all is good and it is none of your business.

Trainwreck

A lot of pension scheme money in those places.

That would mean a lot of the people expressing outrage on this thread are attacking themselves.

Cynicist

The British governement of the day are least likely to remove this virginal cancer which makes a joke of PAYE, financial regulation, declarations of interests and the rest.
They prefer to hit the low-paid and on-benefit people while they and their relatives and supporters benefit from hidden wealth.

British apart, this is no excuse for our government's blind-eye politics which perpetuates one law for the rich and one for the rest. The Virgin Islands and other tax haven facilities provide the bolt hole for the unrecoverable AIB and Anglo loans which we are paying for.
I have seen enough of overseas aid to realise that money laundering is a big part of the reason why this scam, so loved by the naieve as well as the rich, continues while cuts are argued on the basis of balancing books and no money left.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies