500 milion accounts compromised in Yahoo breach

jmcc

Looks like details on 500 million accounts where compromised in an attack on Yahoo in 2014. It looks serious.

"We have confirmed, based on a recent investigation, that a copy of certain user account information was stolen from our network in late 2014 by what we believe is a state-sponsored actor. The account information may have included names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords (the vast majority with bcrypt) and, in some cases, encrypted or unencrypted security questions and answers."

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/account/SLN27925.html?impressions=true

Betson

Huge hack , probably the largest ever.

When I seen it earlier on and they mentioned state-sponsored actor I was a but dubious , as it seems to be very convenient to say our security was top class but China , Russia etc have teams of people and spending hundreds of million of dollars to hack us , so it is not really our fault etc etc.

Just watching CNN(thought they might blame Trump for it) and they had a security expert on and he shares my doubts on the state sponsored bit as well and for the same reasons , he also said this was found out because a hacker was found trying to sell this information on the dark net.

He said it has become the default tactic to blame Russia , China etc in the PR offensive after such breaches these days. But the reality is most of these are carried out by organised criminal hackers with no state links who are trying to make a few bucks out of the info.

New Threads

Most Replies