50th anniversary of Pope Paul V1’s 1968 encyclical Humanae Vitae Celebrations gone mad.

Erudite Caveman

I think it is clear from the following report in the IT that Pope Paul got the wrong end of the stick and should have banned drink.

Two seminarians at the Irish College in Rome have been sent home by the rector Fr Ciáran O’Carroll after being found in bed together.

It is understood both men had been drinking earlier at an event marking the 50th anniversary of Pope Paul V1’s 1968 encyclical Humanae Vitae, which banned artificial means of contraception.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/two-trainee-priests-sent-back-to-ireland-after-being-found-in-bed-together-1.3491779

vb2Y8Ek.jpg

The Field Marshal

A great and prophetic encyclical.

The attempt to destroy and eliminate the procreative element of sex is one of the great tragedies affecting the human race.

The attempt to separate sex from reproduction is the other great tragedy.

automaticforthepeople

Cannot see what the problem the Rector has with this, it's not as though they were using contraceptives to prevent conception, is it?

General Urko

That's the aul muck sort of a story, one would expect to find in that Prody Newspaper alright!petunia

'orebel

The attempt to destroy and eliminate the procreative element of sex is one of the great tragedies affecting the human race.
Indeed. All those nuns and priests are even worse - having no sex at all, at all - procreative or otherwise. With what shall they go forth and multiply to fill the earth and conquer it?

between the bridges

cricket

Can't read it, behind paywall. Is it as racy a story as Kildorrery ?

shutuplaura

The attempt to separate sex from reproduction is the other great tragedy.
Sex should only be for procreation? I always assume that even strict catholics use artificial birth control.

StarryPlough01

The Field Marshal

Sex should only be for procreation? I always assume that even strict catholics use artificial birth control.
If you read the encyclical, which I recommend you do, you will find it stated that sex has two fundamental purposes.ie
Procreation and the unity of the married couple.

It correctly points out that artificially interfering in either of these purposes leads to disaster because the integrity of the act is destroyed.

Hence we now have a culture of death invading much of western society which in order to function with low birth rates , have to be augmented by importing millions of immigrants from poorer societies and alien cultures .

Last edited:

recedite

In August 2016, the Archbishop of Dublin Dr Diarmuid Martin said he would no longer send trainee priests from the diocese to St Patrick’s College, Maynooth, because of a worrying “atmosphere” at the national seminary.
(His decision followed anonymous allegations then being circulated about seminarian activities in Maynooth, including that some had been using a gay dating app.)
He said he intended instead sending trainees from Dublin to the Irish College in Rome as it offered “a good grounding” in the Catholic faith.
Anybody got any suggestions as to where the good archbishop might send the next batch of trainees?
He appears to be running out of options.

recedite

The Phoenix Park might be handier.
Hedge Schools?
Nah, that sounds a bit old fashioned. Bush School.
Watch out for Staggs there though, they can rear end you if you're not careful.

yosef shompeter

shutuplaura

If you read the encyclical, which I recommend you do, you will find it stated that sex has two fundamental purposes.ie
Procreation and the unity of the married couple.

It correctly points out that artificially interfering in either of these purposes leads to disaster because the integrity of the act is destroyed.

Hence we now have a culture of death invading much of western society which in order to function with low birth rates , have to be augmented by importing millions of immigrants from poorer societies and alien cultures .
Surely it is rising living standards which ultimately cause low birth rates....people don't want large families because support networks have improved in society and people don't need to just rely on close family in old age or whatever. I get your logic but I don't agree.
My point I guess was that many Catholic couples who use artificial contraception also don't agree.

Cruimh

If you read the encyclical, which I recommend you do, you will find it stated that sex has two fundamental purposes.ie Procreation and the unity of the married couple.

Erm, so the interference in the marriage of the BVM led to disaster?

New Threads

Most Replies