50th anniversary of Pope Paul V1’s 1968 encyclical Humanae Vitae Celebrations gone mad.

D

Deleted member 45466

Humane Vitae was itself unnatural in seeking to deny the recreational and non-reproductive elements of sex. Its message has caused overpopulation and famine in the Third World.
There was enough food to go around for a fecund Irish population in the late 1840s.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Religion is pretty much one of the few businesses you can get into without much in the way of a start-up budget.

It also has favourable tax treatment.

Those two points explain the continued existence of fairy dust in human affairs.

Kilbarry

I think it is clear from the following report in the IT that Pope Paul got the wrong end of the stick and should have banned drink.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/two-trainee-priests-sent-back-to-ireland-after-being-found-in-bed-together-1.3491779

vb2Y8Ek.jpg
Apparently one is now getting apology and damages from the Irish Times and the Irish Examiner - apology is to be published in Saturday edition of newspapers.

Peter72

Apparently one is now getting apology and damages from the Irish Times and the Irish Examiner - apology is to be published in Saturday edition of newspapers.
Catholicism is under attack from the homosexual agenda.

Kilbarry

Not ONLY the homosexual agenda

Last May 2018 when the story broke, The Irish Catholic was the only newspaper that uncovered the truth of the story, finding that claims that the two seminarians were dismissed from the Irish College in Rome to be false, that claims of a sexual nature were false and that claims it happened after a conference were untrue as the conference never happened. [!] While some media outlets took down the story soon after it was shown to be false, The Irish Times stood over the story until now. .....

The source also said that the young former seminarian believes that the Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin did nothing to help clear the young men’s names despite pleading from the young man and others.
Archbishop Martin talks about fostering vocations and looking after seminarians and his priests. This young man gave four years of his life to the seminary and was hung out to dry, the Archbishop did a Pontius Pilate,claimed the source.

So a thuggish and dishonest media is aided by an Archbishop who cares nothing for truth but only wants to cuddle up to the same anti-clerical media!

Dearghoul

When so long the boot was on the other foot.

It's as big old document. You might have chosen to smite any number that could repent in their ways but you brought it on yourself to target those who were not condemned for a contrary view but for the fact that your God in his infinite wisdom and mercy made in them unchangeable.

Reap the whirlwind.

Kilbarry

Not ONLY the homosexual agenda

Last May 2018 when the story broke, The Irish Catholic was the only newspaper that uncovered the truth of the story, finding that claims that the two seminarians were dismissed from the Irish College in Rome to be false, that claims of a sexual nature were false and that claims it happened after a conference were untrue as the conference never happened. [!] While some media outlets took down the story soon after it was shown to be false, The Irish Times stood over the story until now. .....

The source also said that the young former seminarian believes that the Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin did nothing to help clear the young men’s names despite pleading from the young man and others.
Archbishop Martin talks about fostering vocations and looking after seminarians and his priests. This young man gave four years of his life to the seminary and was hung out to dry, the Archbishop did a Pontius Pilate,claimed the source.

So a thuggish and dishonest media is aided by an Archbishop who cares nothing for truth but only wants to cuddle up to the same anti-clerical media!
Finishing for the night but I see an apology from the Evening Echo is availabe online:
Conor Gannon Apology
On 12 May 2018, the Evening Echo published an article entitled “Seminarians at Rome’s Irish College sent home after being discovered in bed together.”

The Evening Echo acknowledges that this article referred to and identified Conor Gannon who at that time was a clerical student studying for the priesthood in the Pontifical Irish College in Rome.

The Evening Echo accepts that there was no truth in and no basis for this allegation.

The Evening Echo apologises to Conor Gannon for stating that he was expelled or suspended from the College.

The Evening Echo acknowledges that the article was false and should not have been published.

The Evening Echo has agreed to pay damages to Conor Gannon for the upset and distress caused to him by the article.

Peter72

When so long the boot was on the other foot.

It's as big old document. You might have chosen to smite any number that could repent in their ways but you brought it on yourself to target those who were not condemned for a contrary view but for the fact that your God in his infinite wisdom and mercy made in them unchangeable.

Reap the whirlwind.
No idea what your post means

Dearghoul

It (the bible) contains many admonishments to rebuke/persecute those worthy of rebuke/persecution.

The traditional religious obsession with persecuting the gay, is the one, although most adhered to least likely to produce results because of the immutability of the subject.

That any better you two? Just tell me if you would like me to tell it unto you'se for a third time.

I kind of prefer the first draft.

Peter72

It (the bible) contains many admonishments to rebuke/persecute those worthy of rebuke/persecution.

The traditional religious obsession with persecuting the gay, is the one, although most adhered to least likely to produce results because of the immutability of the subject.

That any better you two? Just tell me if you would like me to tell it unto you'se for a third time.

I kind of prefer the first draft.
I'll be honest with you. I'm still struggling.

You're using phrases I'm not familiar with.

redneck

Humane Vitae came out at a crucial time. It looked like Communism was on the verge of victory.
The US was battling Chinese Communists and Viet Cong in South Vietnam. The Red army controlled Eastern Europe including Catholic Poland. The UK had just legalised Abortion in 1967, with the infamous David Steel act.
The gates of Hell had opened- but to his credit, Pope Paul 6th stood firm. (OK sounds dramatic but times were troubled back then)

Kilbarry

Finishing for the night but I see an apology from the Evening Echo is availabe online:
Conor Gannon Apology
On 12 May 2018, the Evening Echo published an article entitled “Seminarians at Rome’s Irish College sent home after being discovered in bed together.”

The Evening Echo acknowledges that this article referred to and identified Conor Gannon who at that time was a clerical student studying for the priesthood in the Pontifical Irish College in Rome.

The Evening Echo accepts that there was no truth in and no basis for this allegation.

The Evening Echo apologises to Conor Gannon for stating that he was expelled or suspended from the College.

The Evening Echo acknowledges that the article was false and should not have been published.

The Evening Echo has agreed to pay damages to Conor Gannon for the upset and distress caused to him by the article.
The Irish Times has a similar apology - same wording I think - on top right hand corner of page 5 of the Saturday edition.

Our "newspaper of record" made lots of mistakes on this one e.g. there was no sex involved, the students were not expelled or suspended and - according to the Irish Catholic - there was NO 50th anniversary commemoration of Humanae Vitae during which these events are alleged to have taken place.

How is it possible for an honest "liberal" newspaper to make so many mistakes? If a newspaper similarly targeted Jewish students at a Jewish college during a Jewish festival (that actually never occurred) would anyone be in doubt as to the motive?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
We could organise Reservations down the country, in the mountains or on the islands as a sort of safe haven for the remaining Nazarene tribesmen.

It would be easier to make a few bob selling them hooch over the electrified fence as well.

We could organise bus tours for normal people to go and see them.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies