51% of NI voters want a Border poll within five years

blinding

According to the latest LucidTalk opinion poll on the subject - unsurprisingly the figure is 76-16 in favour among Catholics, but even Protestant support is surprisingly high, at 68-26 against. As for the Irish language act, that also has 52% approval, with 90% of Catholics and 30% of Protestants backing the idea:

https://www.thesun.ie/news/1017253/northern-ireland-politics-border-poll/amp
Bring it on !

Lets see how the Land ( or border ) Lies........

Who's Afraid of a Border Poll........?

Mickeymac

According to the latest LucidTalk opinion poll on the subject - unsurprisingly the figure is 76-16 in favour among Catholics, but even Protestant support is surprisingly high, at 68-26 against. As for the Irish language act, that also has 52% approval, with 90% of Catholics and 30% of Protestants backing the idea:

https://www.thesun.ie/news/1017253/northern-ireland-politics-border-poll/amp

No surprise here really, less than a year after the Brexit vote, low wage economy, rising prices and uncertainty have had an influence on those figures.

Two more years or even less will increase those percentages significantly in favor of unity.

Mushroom

Bring it on ! Lets see how the Land ( or border ) Lies........

Who's Afraid of a Border Poll........?
I am.

Very.

And will remain so until I've been convinced that Her Majesty's government will continue to subsidise the two parasitic tribes until long after my death.

Congalltee

Should there not be a lot of preparation work done before people are asked so that people know what they will get? (or is this border poll designed to lose?)

Erudite Caveman

Irish language act?

Two bald men fighting over a comb.

"We want our own comb"

"No way, you'll use it to change our hairstyle"

Ridiculous sh1t.

PBP voter

The only poll that counts is elections.

SF is only at 28%. They need to be at 50% for a border poll.

SDLP are stoopers and West Brits-So the Shinners tell us.

Wascurito

Wow....!

Things are moving fast. I'm loath to read too much into these figures but this is very interesting.

Wascurito

There is this line from the article:
Our survey, conducted by LucidTalk, suggests that some unionists — certain of victory — are backing a border poll in order to shut down the issue.

Dame_Enda

After Jimmy Deenihans performance on Nolan Live I have zero confidence the Irish govt will run a strong or persuasive campaign.
[video=youtube;X1jrz0LEj0Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1jrz0LEj0Y[/video]

Accidental sock

Can someone pop over to the NI forum, and tell them that this thread exists on the main board?

It's over 3 hours old and not nearly looballs enough.

Last edited:

PBP voter

If people want a Poll vote SF in the elections.

mr_anderson

What will the shinners do if a border poll shows 70% want to remain in the UK ?

PBP voter

What can they do but bitch and moan?

Probably start calling the SDLP stoops and West Brits.

Paddyc

Then we, all of us, will know that a UI is a dead duck for at least a few decades.

Personally, I wouldn't hold a border poll until a few years into Brexit and full on UK Austerity.

There was an interesting article by John Fitzgerald in today's Irish Times pointing out that one of the side effects of Brexit will be an increase in English nationalism and self-interest - when people in the North of England realise that they're just as poor as NI but not getting nearly as much money that things will start to get interesting.

Mickeymac

There is this line from the article:
Our survey, conducted by LucidTalk, suggests that some unionists — certain of victory — are backing a border poll in order to shut down the issue.

Displaying such ignorance of the GFA, I know, is all too common on this forum from our usual suspects.......but, at least it does damage to their credibility and contributors are armed with the knowledge to take their views with a pinch of salt and/or hilarity...as I do.:lol:

Mushroom

johnnypockets

PBP voter

Irish translations gather dust after costing council €30,000
Wed, Feb 22, 2006, 00:00
Gordon Deegan
Clare County Council has spent €30,250 on translating three statutory development plans into Irish - and has not sold a single copy, writes Gordon Deegan

Irish translations gather dust after costing council

Irish language act would be a big waste of money if the above was allowed to happen.

What a waste.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies