535,475 non Irish nationals from 200 different nations living in Ireland in April 2016 acc to CSO!

Catalpast

Yes folks its a fact (or is it?) acc. to the CSO today we have the following:

The Central Statistics Office (CSO) today (21st September 2017) publishes Census 2016 Profile 7 Migration and Diversity. The report shows that, in April 2016, there were 535,475 non-Irish nationals living in the country, a 1.6% decrease on the 2011 figure of 544,357. The numbers of people holding dual citizenship (Irish-other country) increased by 87.4% to 104,784 persons.Press Statement Census 2016 Results Profile 7 - Migration and Diversity - CSO - Central Statistics Office

Does anyone else find these figures risible?

Because I do!

Do they seriously expect us to believe that the Foreign population of the State has declined in the last five years

- when anyone with two eyes in their head can see its increasing all the time....

Commenting, Deirdre Cullen, Senior Statistician, said: “This report gives a detailed insight into the many different nationalities living in Ireland, including their age profile, marital status, the languages they speak, and their educational and employment status. Non-Irish nationals and those with dual nationality are now well established in Irish society and communities throughout the country, and this report provides a wealth of information on their social and economic circumstances in April 2016.”

Sorry Deirdre

- but I don't believe you....:roll:

GDPR

Maybe it's because so many of them have Irish Passports now so they aren't counted as foreign?

The_SR

I would see a marginal fall as plausible. We are way down on pre 2008 levels

former wesleyan

I shan't sleep tonight.

Dame_Enda

The reason its dropped is that over 100,000 (as confirmed in the release today) have acquired dual citizenship.

Sync

Sure, it’s likely true. Some will have obtained citizenship, and for the EU migrants: The majority of poles etc moved here for work. As eastern Europe’s growth grows and employment opportunities arise, it’s natural that they’d migrate back.

But I’m sure your terrified complex towards furners and your anecdotes are more reliable.

ruserious

Two points.

1. The decrease can be, partly at least, be accounted for by the rise of naturalisations.
2. Many illegals would not have taken part due to fear of being on the record.

Mushroom

It's a tad harsh to suggest that the CSO's Deirdre Cullen is lying. All that she is doing is reporting on the information extracted from the processed raw data collected in Census 2016.

Don't shoot the messenger!

tigerben

Are they saying there is less than 10,000 Nigerians or Africans in Ireland. Where are the Chinese people . There had to be be more than 10 thousand of them in Ireland.

Catalpast

Maybe it's because so many of them have Irish Passports now so they aren't counted as foreign?
That is a factor all right.

Of course if they get one then their kids get Citizenship too

Going on my own observations the only Ethnic Group to decline post the Great Crash were the Chinese....

CookieMonster

Sorry Deirdre

Of course you don't. Your weak paranoid mind has you convinced foreigners are out to get you.

Spanner Island

When I compare the Ireland of today with the sh!thole that was Ireland back in the 1980s with our Catholic/state monoculture... and... well... it's no contest... today wins hands down.

Others at different ages may think differently... I believe the 1970s weren't too bad but I was too young to notice...

I just remember whenever returning to Ireland from abroad back in the 1980s it was like returning to a Third World country...

So I just don't get the constant whingeing about foreigners that goes on from various quarters... but then it's each to their own...

I reckon we're pretty good at integration compared to others albeit with some problems like Direct Provision and the ludicrous 'system' in place that sees that process go on for years and years enriching the legal eagles as it goes...

Catalpast

It's a tad harsh to suggest that the CSO's Deirdre Cullen is lying. All that she is doing is reporting on the information extracted from the processed raw data collected in Census 2016.

Don't shoot the messenger!
Never said she was lying

- just that I don't believe what she says about it.

gijoe

Yes folks its a fact (or is it?) acc. to the CSO today we have the following:

The Central Statistics Office (CSO) today (21st September 2017) publishes Census 2016 Profile 7 Migration and Diversity. The report shows that, in April 2016, there were 535,475 non-Irish nationals living in the country, a 1.6% decrease on the 2011 figure of 544,357. The numbers of people holding dual citizenship (Irish-other country) increased by 87.4% to 104,784 persons.Press Statement Census 2016 Results Profile 7 - Migration and Diversity - CSO - Central Statistics Office

Does anyone else find these figures risible?

Because I do!

Do they seriously expect us to believe that the Foreign population of the State has declined in the last five years

- when anyone with two eyes in their head can see its increasing all the time....

Commenting, Deirdre Cullen, Senior Statistician, said: “This report gives a detailed insight into the many different nationalities living in Ireland, including their age profile, marital status, the languages they speak, and their educational and employment status. Non-Irish nationals and those with dual nationality are now well established in Irish society and communities throughout the country, and this report provides a wealth of information on their social and economic circumstances in April 2016.”

Sorry Deirdre

You can actually believe the figures if you then add in all the 'new Irish' citizens who no longer come under the 'non-Irish' nationals heading. And just to get it out of the way........you Racist! :)

hollandia

Ok....

Nationalisations at 104k. Total people born outside of Ireland 810k according this:

http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/releasespublications/documents/population/2017/Chapter_5_Diversity.pdf

Presumably the balance is Irish people born outside of Ireland?

The 535,475 non-Irish nationals living in Ireland in April 2016 came from 200 different nations. Polish nationals were the largest group with 122,515 persons followed by 103,113 UK nationals and 36,552 Lithuanians. Just twelve nations each with over 10,000 residents – America, Brazil, France, Germany, India, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Spain and the UK – accounted for 73.6% of the total non-Irish national population.
WTF like? Why does anyone think this is worthy of a thread in 2017, for reasons other than outright racism and xenophobia?

Shakes my head.

users

SamsonS

Since April 2015 to April 2016

"In the year prior to April 2016, 82,346 persons arrived to live in Ireland of which 53,708 were non-Irish nationals and 28,143 were Irish nationals (495 did not state their nationality). Among the non-Irish nationals UK nationals, arriving from European countries, were the largest group (5,840) followed by Polish nationals (4,029). American continental nationalities outnumbered Asian and African nationalities with the arrival of 4,615 Brazilians worthy of note."