55% discount for ESB staff

B

birthday

Apparently Joe Duffy is to discuss the very generous 55% discount on electricity which Leo Varadkar unearthed.
Nice to know that on top of the highest salaries in Europe, the recent 2.5% pay increase that the TEEU and other union darlings are doing quite nicely on this also.
BIK declared-I am sure it is.
Still it is good to know that our working class heoes are being looked after nicely while thousands have been cut off from the ESB.

hammer

Of course its BIK. If it wasn`t declared the income tax, levies, prsi and PENAL interest over the years would wipe out a years salary at the very least.

As they are all PAYE workers it would be deducted from salary.

It seems scandalous ( but probably small in the general scheme of things ) that discounts given when we should be subsidising the productive parts of the economy, ie business.

Also the sooner they reduce re-connection fee to €20 the better and allow people spread outstanding amounts out over 36 months.

LDF

Good work from Varadkar. I also heard that the benefit remains with the employee post retirement.

No wonder the unions don't want their play-thing sold.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Who is meant to advocate for the taxpayer when these deals go through?

hammer

"Its all about protecting the taxpayer" - Fianna FAIL

Bord Gais I believe is higher. They get free gas :)

EUrJokingMeRight

ESB have a 'whiter than white' energy regulator on their side, akin to our previous banking regulator. This virtuous 'regulator' then 'makes' the ESB charge ridiculous amounts for electricity. He does this in the name of 'fostering' competition.
They were one of the few companies in Ireland to get a pay rise when everyone else was getting pay cuts.
The average wage in the ESB, as of Feb 2010, was a mere €98,000!!!
The tax man should get jiggy with their outstanding BIK amounts.

corelli

What does it actualise out at, per annum, one wonders. 500 euro perhaps?

LDF

I wouldn't be too sure that this benefit has been BIK'd. I think civil servants who use car parks provided by their departments don't have to pay BIK on that benefit whereas private sector workers who get a similar benefit pay BIK.

collina

Barnacle

They also get appliance discount as do Bord Gais staff on Gas Appliances, maybe Bord Gais staff also get a discount on their gas.

Casillas

This is just what I needed to hear in this freezing house, dreading the ESB bill.

Johnnybaii

Thought this was common knowledge - worked there on short term contract during my college years and all permanent staff and retired employees had it.

None of us riff raff got a sniff of it of course.

Dont take it out on their call centre staff though, they are all working for a call centre the ESB sub contract out to in Cork and are all paid minimum wage.

Think i was a bit too honest at my exit interview in retrospect

HR Person: "why are you leaving?"

Me: "basically i hate this job because i am forced to lie to callers on behalf of a company who have no respect for their customers"

*cue akward silence*

galleyslave

Dont take it out on their call centre staff though, they are all working for a call centre the ESB sub contract out to in Cork and are all paid minimum wage.

Terrible place to work god love em... "john, you took 20 minutes in toilet breaks last week... not really on"
agreed, my wife went for a job there and said it was horrible - she didn't even bother finishing the training. This was a few years ago mind, she'd probably stick it out now had she the chance

B

birthday

Thought this was common knowledge - worked there on short term contract during my college years and all permanent staff and retired employees had it.

None of us riff raff got a sniff of it of course.

Think i was a bit too honest at my exit interview in retrospect

HR Person: "why are you leaving?"

Me: "basically i hate this job because i am forced to lie to callers on behalf of a company who have no respect for their customers"

*cue akward silence*
I have found the ESB call centre staff very pleasant to deal with recently.
If true,It is truly disappointing to hear that they are on minimum wage while the elite are on €98,000.
Animal Farm scenario here-semi-state trade union elites are really the pigs in the house at this stage.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies