55% discount for ESB staff

GDPR

55% ??? jesus . Some friends in the esb told me it was 10% sometime last year.

noodles

While we are talking about perks.... what the subsidised mortgages that bank staff enjoy??

Cut the fat to the bone I say.

galleyslave

perks per se is not the issue in my opinion. Its having a ludicrously high compensation package bankrolled by the rest of the country who have no option but to pony up for it.

constitutionus

i heard a story that the head guys in ESB get free electiricity for life once they pack in the job and a new one takes over.

anyone know if this is true or just the rumour mill ?

galleyslave

i heard a story that the head guys in ESB get free electiricity for life once they pack in the job and a new one takes over.

I'd be happy for that to happen, so long as he was sitting in a chair at the time :D

The sooner the ESB are privatised and have to wake up to the real world the better.

Most likely dodgy connections wink wink.

Barnacle

He is arguing his case because he does not want to lose his benefits. Sooner ESB is privatised the better.

Casillas

Did I just hear the ESB and Bord Gais are changing their names! What is happening in this country?

LDF

Did I just hear the ESB and Bord Gais are changing their names! What is happening in this country?
Well, both companies now do more then their names suggest so it would make sense.

Baron von Biffo

Apparently Joe Duffy is to discuss the very generous 55% discount on electricity which Leo Varadkar unearthed.
Nice to know that on top of the highest salaries in Europe, the recent 2.5% pay increase that the TEEU and other union darlings are doing quite nicely on this also.
BIK declared-I am sure it is.
Still it is good to know that our working class heoes are being looked after nicely while thousands have been cut off from the ESB.
So Varadkar has 'unearthed' a staff discount scheme that works out at €9 a week in the ESB and we're supposed to be incensed at this? We're approaching a level of spite and begrudgery that must soon demand that heating be turned off in all government offices.

SlickWilly

And their great leader, the ESB, earns more than Obama and Cameron put together and still is entitled to the electricity discount when the yellows are raising carbon taxes during a recession!

So Varadkar has 'unearthed' a staff discount scheme that works out at €9 a week in the ESB and we're supposed to be incensed at this? We're approaching a level of spite and begrudgery that must soon demand that heating be turned off in all government offices.

Yes you should, because whilst the poor and unemployed have to face cuts and Electric costs increasing, a well paid ESB worker gets 55% discount on his ESB bill.

€9 is a lot to the poor, but not much to ther ESB worker who earns an average of €70,000 per year.

livingstone

This thread highlights to me the problems of sites like this, people come on talking all sorts of rubbish as if it's fact. I know most of it's rubbish based on having worked for ESB, so it makes me wonder what amount of rubbish is spouted that I don't know is rubbish.

The discount applies based on hours work and based on electricity used. For a full time staff member using 1,000 units, it amounts to about 55% of their unit costs. This doesn't factor in the standing charge. For an employee using more, it doesn't factor in the standing charge or the units. So for most staff, the discount is not 55%.

Let's also just establish that this is not costing the country a penny, given that the ESB is a profit making organisation and is not bankrolled by the taxpayer as has been suggested.

Likewise, I assume this applies only to ESB CS employees (given that they are the billing company) so changes in disconnection charges by ESB Networks will have no bearing on this discount.

Call Centre staff are not earning minimum wage. About half work directly for ESB CS in Wilton in Cork and earn a pretty good hourly wage for call centre work. The other half work for Abtran, a call centre outsourcing company in Bishopstown in Cork. Those staff earn less but are above minimum wage, and ESB has no control over their pay or conditions - the people who work for Abtran are no more under the control of ESB than the staff of the their stationery suppliers. The conditions in the actual ESB call centre in Cork are pretty good and most people who work there are both knowledgeable and genuinely want to help.

Finally, and I've said this before, while I feel bad for anyone struggling with their electricity bill, it is quite difficult to get disconnected by ESB. It usually takes months of non-payment without contact or without responding to the many calls, texts and letters asking you to arrange a payment.

If you did make contact, ESB are very flexible (far more than most creditors) in arranging payment plans - usually they will initially seek repayment within 8 weeks and failing that within 16 weeks. The reason for this is simple - anything longer and new bills are constantly being piled up and become even harder to pay.

Ultimately if someone cannot afford the scale of their bills, that either becomes an issue for personal responsibility (the number of people who think that having underground heating, a clothes drier running twice a day, electric heating, an immersion run without a timer etc are all essentials and that the fact that they struggle with their bills is the greatest travesty since the Rwandan genocide is amazing) or else it is a matter of state welfare policies (if there are people there who genuinely cannot pay their bills when they are unemployed, even when they reduce their consumtion to the minimum possible in an average house, then questions should be asked about whether the State needs to step in to boost their income - the role of the ESB is to operate as a commercial company on behalf of the taxpayer, not to provide free electricity).

The fact is the Government's energy policy is a failure. ESB cannot reduce its prices and is forced to become less attractive to domestic customers in order to shed some of its market share. These customers end up with Airtricity or Bord Gais who are far more trigger happy when it comes to disconnection. People need to decide - do you believe ESB should operate on a commercial basis in order to generate profit for the exchequer? Or do you believe they should provide free electricity to everyone who cannot afford it?

If its the former, then they do a very very good job. If it's the latter, then that's a political decision. Eitherway, blaming ESB is a nonsense.

Mushroom

Turning off the lights and heating when the staff aren't there would be a good start.

Mushroom

This thread highlights to me the problems of sites like this, people come on talking all sorts of rubbish as if it's fact. I know most of it's rubbish based on having worked for ESB, so it makes me wonder what amount of rubbish is spouted that I don't know is rubbish.

The discount applies based on hours work and based on electricity used. For a full time staff member using 1,000 units, it amounts to about 55% of their unit costs. This doesn't factor in the standing charge. For an employee using more, it doesn't factor in the standing charge or the units. So for most staff, the discount is not 55%.

Let's also just establish that this is not costing the country a penny, given that the ESB is a profit making organisation and is not bankrolled by the taxpayer as has been suggested.

Likewise, I assume this applies only to ESB CS employees (given that they are the billing company) so changes in disconnection charges by ESB Networks will have no bearing on this discount.

Call Centre staff are not earning minimum wage. About half work directly for ESB CS in Wilton in Cork and earn a pretty good hourly wage for call centre work. The other half work for Abtran, a call centre outsourcing company in Bishopstown in Cork. Those staff earn less but are above minimum wage, and ESB has no control over their pay or conditions - the people who work for Abtran are no more under the control of ESB than the staff of the their stationery suppliers. The conditions in the actual ESB call centre in Cork are pretty good and most people who work there are both knowledgeable and genuinely want to help.

Finally, and I've said this before, while I feel bad for anyone struggling with their electricity bill, it is quite difficult to get disconnected by ESB. It usually takes months of non-payment without contact or without responding to the many calls, texts and letters asking you to arrange a payment.

If you did make contact, ESB are very flexible (far more than most creditors) in arranging payment plans - usually they will initially seek repayment within 8 weeks and failing that within 16 weeks. The reason for this is simple - anything longer and new bills are constantly being piled up and become even harder to pay.

Ultimately if someone cannot afford the scale of their bills, that either becomes an issue for personal responsibility (the number of people who think that having underground heating, a clothes drier running twice a day, electric heating, an immersion run without a timer etc are all essentials and that the fact that they struggle with their bills is the greatest travesty since the Rwandan genocide is amazing) or else it is a matter of state welfare policies (if there are people there who genuinely cannot pay their bills when they are unemployed, even when they reduce their consumtion to the minimum possible in an average house, then questions should be asked about whether the State needs to step in to boost their income - the role of the ESB is to operate as a commercial company on behalf of the taxpayer, not to provide free electricity).

The fact is the Government's energy policy is a failure. ESB cannot reduce its prices and is forced to become less attractive to domestic customers in order to shed some of its market share. These customers end up with Airtricity or Bord Gais who are far more trigger happy when it comes to disconnection. People need to decide - do you believe ESB should operate on a commercial basis in order to generate profit for the exchequer? Or do you believe they should provide free electricity to everyone who cannot afford it?

If its the former, then they do a very very good job. If it's the latter, then that's a political decision. Eitherway, blaming ESB is a nonsense.

Overall an interesting post - but it started poorly and finished quite weakly.

As a matter of interest why do we have to rent our meters in perpetuity from a monopoly - I'd happily buy mine?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies