• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

56% of Britons would vote to leave the EU

FloatingVoterTralee

And not an Express/Telegraph poll, but in tomorrow's Observer, hardly a haven of Europhobes, with only Lib Dems and 18-34s having a pro-EU majority. Personally, I'm pro-EU, as I believe the trading and residency benefits outweigh the eurozone difficulties, but the question must be asked as to how Ireland's membership would be affected by a UK withdrawal?

Analyzer

The Brussels idiots do not mind - referenda can be held until the result comes to up to requirements.

sondagefaux

They should get on with it then. Nobody forced them to join, nobody's forcing them to stay.

Either leave or quit whining.

harry_w

And not an Express/Telegraph poll, but in tomorrow's Observer, hardly a haven of Europhobes, with only Lib Dems and 18-34s having a pro-EU majority. Personally, I'm pro-EU, as I believe the trading and residency benefits outweigh the eurozone difficulties, but the question must be asked as to how Ireland's membership would be affected by a UK withdrawal?
Really, they talk and talk about it but only stay seeking opt-outs.

Talk and talk:
http://www.politics.ie/forum/united-kingdom/198079-were-ready-walk-out-europe-uk-pull-plug.html

The scare tactics for Ireland:
If Britain left the EU they would no longer allow Irish people to live and work there without a Visa. This could see thousands of Irish who moved recently to the UK for work returned home, especially in low skilled jobs as surely the UK would fill those vacancies with their own unemployed.
As I said then:
The question arises, is there enough oxygen getting to Michael Gove's brain?

Since the British government vetoed Eurozone members from reaching an EU treaty last year the Eurozone members reached their own treaty and will have to get on with its own business making separate arrangements from the EU. It's not in the Eurozone's interest to have a free-rider operating their own currency inside the EU seeking opt-outs on fundamental structures.

TheWexfordInn

They should get on with it then. Nobody forced them to join, nobody's forcing them to stay.

What's with your whining about an opinion poll in the UK? This is a UK poll in a UK newspaper, you would think that they were following you around all day moaning in your face about the EU the way you are moaning about them. As long as the UK continues to provide 13 per cent of the EU budget of which Ireland is a net recipient I think Irish people should stop whining about the UK's attitude to Europe and just be glad the the EU is at the moment still receiving this UK cash, who knows the EU might look to Ireland to put its hand in its pocket and make up some of this shortfall if the UK leaves.

odlum

TBH I think the whole of Europe is getting pissed off with Britain's constant ambivalence and sneering attitude to the EU and this seeming belief in Britain that they are somehow special and superior to the crazy people on the continent as they would put it.

I would gladly see them leave at this stage and take the consequence of no free market access just so us crazy people left in the EU can prove a point.

southwestkerry

Dont we whine twice as much about everything.

Hooch

Given the way the EU is portrayed by the majority of the UK press, that figure is actually lower than I would have expected.

kvran

I am actually really surprised at that figure. That's a positive trend. If I remember correctly the post Lisbon analysis showed a lot of young Irish people voting no while other people voted yes. That was explained by older people living through the economic transformation Ireland has gone through since joining the EEC and knowing what the roads were like before all those EU funding signs popped up.

I wonder what makes young British people more pro-EU. I suppose a lot more are travelling to Europe and this time not to die on some god forsaken battlefield.

sondagefaux

What's with your whining about an opinion poll in the UK? This is a UK poll in a UK newspaper, you would think that they were following you around all day moaning in your face about the EU the way you are moaning about them. As long as the UK continues to provide 13 per cent of the EU budget of which Ireland is a net recipient I think Irish people should stop whining about the UK's attitude to Europe and just be glad the the EU is at the moment still receiving this UK cash, who knows the EU might look to Ireland to put its hand in its pocket and make up some of this shortfall if the UK leaves.
Where did I whine? I live in the UK so I have a direct interest in the matter. I also get to vote...

Ribeye

Nigel will be pleased:)

The EU's mask has slipped, and the people don't like what they see!

kvran

There wouldn't be much of a shortfall since about 10% of the EU budget finds its way back to the UK through CAP and Structural funds. You then also remove funding for British MEPs, political parties, seconded national experts, northern Ireland and other projects. Whatever shortfall is left could be made up with cuts to the EU budget, 2 - 4 % would be doable. You also have the addition of tariffs that would possibly be added on to British exports to the single market.

Cornerman

Well if the UK leaves it will take six Irish counties with it.

Lucky them.

viper999

TBH I think the whole of Europe is getting pissed off with Britain's constant ambivalence and sneering attitude to the EU and this seeming belief in Britain that they are somehow special and superior to the crazy people on the continent as they would put it.

I would gladly see them leave at this stage and take the consequence of no free market access just so us crazy people left in the EU can prove a point.
Ah the old free trade arguement in a globalized world with WTO trade agreements and so on, the EU wont stop free trade with Britain,, seriously will Germany stop exporting cars to the UK or will English exports be taxed to the hilt by the EU, NO..
If they left they would just have to be like Norway or Switzerland and agree to certain EU criteria

ygargarin

I would say a majority of the EU would vote for the UK to leave also.
I would say all member states of the EU would vote to leave, if given a free vote on the topic, without inducements, bribes or threats.

Most countries would never have joined if their people had been allowed to decide in referenda.

kvran

Ah the old free trade arguement in a globalized world with WTO trade agreements and so on, the EU wont stop free trade with Britain,, seriously will Germany stop exporting cars to the UK or will English exports be taxed to the hilt by the EU, NO..
If they left they would just have to be like Norway or Switzerland and agree to certain EU criteria
Norway highlights need for UK engagement with the EU

So if the Eurosceptic side accepts that leaving the EU and negotiating a bi-lateral relationship would require the sort of situation that occurs with EFTA countries and their relationship with the EU then leaving the EU is only political spin and harmful to UK influence on EU decision making.

The UK already has opt-outs in justice and home affairs, eurozone and common foreign & security policy (pretty much all areas of European political union and some fiscal policy) so leaving doesn't give them any greater freedom in these areas, they would have to maintain regulation and agricultural standards for single market access but would lose their MEPs and seat at the Council when it comes to policy negotiations.

So why bother?

On the UK/Ireland issue to clarify to people. UK and Ireland aren't in schengen (EU free travel area) when the UK opted out (due to stranger danger) Ireland had the choice between barrier free travel between mainland Europe and Ireland but border posts with the north. The UK and Ireland negotiated its own free travel area while we still require passports (but not visas) to travel to Europe.

seabhcan

TBH I think the whole of Europe is getting pissed off with Britain's constant ambivalence and sneering attitude to the EU
The 'whole of Europe' is largely indifferent and uninterested in the UK's status or their attitude. Most people would not notice if they left. Only the political class would notice anything at all.

The real losers would be the UK press. Who would they demonize then?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies