• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

6.1 News

johnfás

I've noticed recently that the 6.1 news has been cut from an hour to thirty minutes.

Does anyone know whether this is just for the summer or whether it is a longterm cutback to the news schedule?

fergalr

I've noticed recently that the 6.1 news has been cut from an hour to thirty minutes.

Does anyone know whether this is just for the summer or whether it is a longterm cutback to the news schedule?
Summertime shedule sure. Unless there's been suicides in the IFSC or something, they keep it short - and brutally boring - during these wet months of the year,

Panopticon

It's typical for summer schedules all over the world. Politics has basically stopped for the month, as mad as that may be, and there isn't much to report on elsewhere either.

TommyO'Brien

It does it every summer and has done for decades.

That is also why Prime Time goes weekly rather than twice a week.

In the summer months
(a) there aren't the stories to carry a full bulletin
(b) various staff will be on holiday so at any one time there will less staff than would be needed to produce a full hour long bulletin.
(c) It saves money.

asset test

I haven't watched TV for about 2 years now. Can get it all online (though not live admittedly), Can't say I missed much.

PaddyJoe McGillycuddy

Yesterday's RTE 9 pm news managed to fill 5 minutes with an Ironman competition in Wexford and an agricultural show in Cavan. Could we not have an extended weather forecast instead?

draiocht23

There's plenty of interesting foreign stories RTE could be reporting on - the world doesn't stop turning just because it's August and our politicians are putting their feet up.

Incredibly, Charlie Bird's report from the US today made NO mention of Lockerbie and the outrage of Americans at the release of al-Megrahi - the biggest story over there today by a long shot.

Plonker.

breakingnews

There's plenty of interesting foreign stories RTE could be reporting on - the world doesn't stop turning just because it's August and our politicians are putting their feet up.

Incredibly, Charlie Bird's report from the US today made NO mention of Lockerbie and the outrage of Americans at the release of al-Megrahi - the biggest story over there today by a long shot.

Plonker.
Yet they find money for the atrocious boxing "celebrity" programme.

draiocht23

Yet they find money for the atrocious boxing "celebrity" programme.
I've managed to avoid that particular monstrosity. The only reason to watch it would be the vague hope that someone would get a really bad punch in the gob.

Not that I'm prone to violence or anything...

And we get Reeling in the Years at 6.30, a thoroughly enjoyable programme - so a win win situation all round.

Aces up

Nobody mentioned Burnley 1 - 0 Man United

jeez, that was barrel scraping. Michael Healy Rae was on it. Can't recall the name either.
The one with McGuinness was I think called Celebrity Farm. Haely Rae was in a different programme - a kind of survivor programme - The swimmer Michelle Smith was on it too. They had a similar programme a couple of decades earlier in which Gerry Ryan participated and allegedly killed a lamb. The Media subsequently gave him the nickname 'Lambo'.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies