• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

6 year old Infants in Irish schools taught that ‘Mary says ‘YES’!

gleeful

6 year old Infants in Irish schools taught that 'Mary says 'YES'! |

If a strange person comes to your bed at night, and you are confused and alone - just say "YES". This is what Irish 6 year old girls and boys are being taught in Irish schools.

"This is an extraordinary and dangerous message to give to young children. ‘SAY YES’!, even if you are afraid and confused. Just trust someone that comes to your bed in the night."

"The Teachers’s manual describes how to explain this section to young children. Teachers are to explain to small girls that Mary’s ‘YES’! made it all possible, even though she did not understand, was afraid and confused.

She just ‘trusted’ and said ‘YES’! Teachers are also expected to tell children that Mary’s ‘YES’, meant that God would ‘work through her’ and she would become pregnant with Jesus.

The text describes Mary as a young woman, despite portraying her as a little girl without adult characteristics, but the message of saying ‘Yes!’ while being afraid and confused is dangerous regardless of the age of the character."

(EDIT - last line removed as it caused offense)

Last edited:

Cruimh

If a strange person comes to your bed at night, and you are confused and alone - just say "YES". This is what Irish 6 year old girls and boys are being taught in Irish schools.

"This is an extraordinary and dangerous message to give to young children. ‘SAY YES’!, even if you are afraid and confused. Just trust someone that comes to your bed in the night."

"The Teachers’s manual describes how to explain this section to young children. Teachers are to explain to small girls that Mary’s ‘YES’! made it all possible, even though she did not understand, was afraid and confused.

She just ‘trusted’ and said ‘YES’! Teachers are also expected to tell children that Mary’s ‘YES’, meant that God would ‘work through her’ and she would become pregnant with Jesus.

The text describes Mary as a young woman, despite portraying her as a little girl without adult characteristics, but the message of saying ‘Yes!’ while being afraid and confused is dangerous regardless of the age of the character."

An interesting OP but spoiled by

The catholic church promoting child abuse again and making us pay for it.

eoghanacht

The "Holy Spirit/God/his son" was a paedophile.

That's good trolling lad

gleeful

The "Holy Spirit/God/his son" was a paedophile.

That's good trolling lad
There is an element of pedophilia at the core of Christianity, you can't deny that. Mary was made pregnant by a 'spirit' when she was below the age of consent.

More immediately, the church is now using this myth to promote creepy ideas to small kids.

Cruimh

There is an element of pedophilia at the core of Christianity, you can't deny that. Mary was made pregnant by a 'spirit' when she was below the age of consent.

More immediately, the church is now using this myth to promote creepy ideas to small kids.
Hate to tell you this - but people married a lot younger back then - lives were shorter.

Are you referring to our modern age of consent?

gleeful

Hate to tell you this - but people married a lot younger back then - lives were shorter.

Are you referring to our modern age of consent?
Yes. And our modern age of consent is relevant because book is not for historians, its for small kids in school. Is it really necessary to focus on this aspect of the story when teaching 6 year olds?

Spanner Island

Get rid of the last sentence (which I have done above) and this could be an ok thread...

Gotta say I'm surprised by the content and don't think it's a good idea to be teaching this...

Cruimh

Yes. And our modern age of consent is relevant because book is not for historians, its for small kids in school. Is it really necessary to focus on this aspect of the story when teaching 6 year olds?
But even secular Ireland admits:

Of all organisations, the Catholic Church should know that we have higher standards of child protection today than were common when this myth was first invented two thousand years ago, at a time when Jewish girls were typically betrothed for marriage at about twelve years of age.
You make it sound like they are arguing for a return to those days ...

Don't get me wrong - I wouldn't agree with this teaching - but by overdoing the OP you are letting them off the hook.

gleeful

I bought this book for my kid for the coming year. I think I'll take this page out and post it to the minister for Education.

It seems like an extraordinary message to convey.

stopdoingstuff

Saying Yes to God is a great message. There should be more of it about. As for the tofu-mob, fair is fair, and people who don't want their kids exposed to that message should be given an opt out and the state should back more schools for them. But as for Catholic teaching for Catholics in Catholic schools, non-Catholic opinions are not relevant and should not be entertained.

Texal Tom

Twitter
Don't tweet
Another rant by what's his face that annoying prig in atheist Ireland..... Do they ever extract the bile from their arses

Sexual Harassment Panda

I think if a magical spirit enters your room at night, it's probably a good idea to just say YES. The drugs will wear off soon enough anyways so might as well go with the flow.

:)

Aindriu

My concern would be the fact that at 6 the kids don't know who is and is not safe so telling them to say YES to a complete stranger (who 'God' is) is downright stupid.

petaljam

Saying Yes to God is a great message. There should be more of it about.
Testimony from abused children indicates that variants of that argument were regularly used by abusive clerics.
Interesting to see how much you would care about that. Or not.

As for the tofu-mob, fair is fair, and people who don't want their kids exposed to that message should be given an opt out and the state should back more schools for them. But as for Catholic teaching for Catholics in Catholic schools, non-Catholic opinions are not relevant and should not be entertained.
So when Catholics ignore or collaborate with child abusers, using the sort of logic you've just used, non Catholics should just pass on by. Right? Presumably you think the same about other groups abusing their children too? Or are you ok with that too?

derryman

(EDIT - last line removed as it caused offense)
So have I got this right?
You are asking me to read a report on a catholic teaching manual that has been compiled by atheist Ireland, but you have no links or quotes (only those probably taken out of context) to or from the actual manual ?
And you would wish that I form an opinion on that ?

gleeful

So have I got this right?
You are asking me to read a report on a catholic teaching manual that has been compiled by atheist Ireland, but you have no links or quotes (only those probably taken out of context) to or from the actual manual ?
And you would wish that I form an opinion on that ?
Follow the link - there are many quotes and screenshots of the book in question.

stopdoingstuff

Testimony from abused children indicates that variants of that argument were regularly used by abusive clerics.
Interesting to see how much you would care about that. Or not.

So when Catholics ignore or collaborate with child abusers, using the sort of logic you've just used, non Catholics should just pass on by. Right? Presumably you think the same about other groups abusing their children too? Or are you ok with that too?
I think I have witnessed evolution. You may well be the first person to control a keyboard using only her ovaries and totally bypassing the brain.

derryman

Follow the link - there are many quotes and screenshots of the book in question.
The quotes are sparse and no doubt selective. The screenshots are irrelevant. Give a link direct to the original publication without the input of atheist Ireland and I will see what I really think of this publication, but I wont be forming opinions on twice slanted slanted commentary.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies