60,000 Voters Removed

Ó Ghabhainn

I'm not one for starting threads but haven't seen this mentioned anywhere.

60,000 voters have been removed from the electoral register, with the reason given that forms had been sent out and not returned. I don't remember this happening. Here's the numbers by constituency:

Voters removed by constituency
  • Belfast East 2,379
  • Belfast North 4,463
  • Belfast South 3,213
  • Belfast West 5,759
  • East Antrim 2,323
  • East Londonderry 2,651
  • Fermanagh & South Tyrone 3,014
  • Foyle 4,912
  • Lagan Valley 2,554
  • Mid Ulster 3,145
  • North Antrim 2,795
  • North Down 2,310
  • Newry & Armagh 4,534
  • South Antrim 2,997
  • South Down 4,012
  • Strangford 2,449
  • Upper Bann 3,451
  • West Tyrone 3,472
This has been in a few newspapers and the BBC website but I haven't seen it on TV or heard it on the radio (but then I don't listen to the radio).

is this standard procedure? People should know whether they can vote or not, and that right should not be taken away from them.

Link: NI electoral register: More than 60,000 voters removed - BBC News

GDPR

Oh ************************ is all I can say.....Forgive me. I very much doubt that this is normal.

cricket

Hard to make anything of this unless we get figures to compare with in previous elections.

belfast1981

I don't even remember getting a form or sending one back. Going to have to check now.

Levellers

Very clear which constituencies are being targeted here. A new form of gerrymandering?

TiredOfBeingTired

I have sorted the data in the OP.
There seems to be a pattern here...

Belfast West 5,759
Foyle 4,912
Newry & Armagh 4,534
Belfast North 4,463
South Down 4,012
West Tyrone 3,472
Upper Bann 3,451
Belfast South 3,213
Mid Ulster 3,145
Fermanagh & South Tyrone 3,014
South Antrim 2,997
North Antrim 2,795
East Londonderry 2,651
Lagan Valley 2,554
Strangford 2,449
Belfast East 2,379
East Antrim 2,323
North Down 2,310

devonish

Very clear which constituencies are being targeted here. A new form of gerrymandering?
Unlikely, there's a process to follow if you want to remain on the electoral register, if you don't follow it then that's your problem. Plenty of publicity on the matter with 3 weeks for people to sort it out. Non story, but watch out under the bed, they could be coming for you.

devonish

I have sorted the data in the OP.
There seems to be a pattern here...

Belfast West 5,759
Foyle 4,912
Newry & Armagh 4,534
Belfast North 4,463
South Down 4,012
West Tyrone 3,472
Upper Bann 3,451
Belfast South 3,213
Mid Ulster 3,145
Fermanagh & South Tyrone 3,014
South Antrim 2,997
North Antrim 2,795
East Londonderry 2,651
Lagan Valley 2,554
Strangford 2,449
Belfast East 2,379
East Antrim 2,323
North Down 2,310
so what are you implying, unionists are more likely to complete and return forms?

Marcella

I haven't received any registration forms from the electoral office in years.

Do the office inform people in writing that they've been removed ? If they don't then this is quite disgraceful and anti-democratic.

TiredOfBeingTired

so what are you implying, unionists are more likely to complete and return forms?
There are a number of possibilities, but the whole thing doesn't seem random.
And with 60000 votes involved, it is unlikely to be some statistical fluke.

What is the process?
- Election officials check register. Some parts may be badly out of date.
When was the last proper overhaul done? Edit: It was 2006
- Election officials spot errors.
- Election officials send out forms.
- Forms arrive to voter.
- Voter does/doesnt complete the form and returns it.
- Election officials check forms and update register if necessary.
The highlighted section is the part you pointed out.
However there are other possibilities.

If the rules have changed:
a) it gets a bit more complicated.
b) who benefits?

There seems to be a decent sized industry in USA about running elections.
I would hope that some of their practices don't come over here.

Last edited:

Ó Ghabhainn

Oh ************************ is all I can say.....Forgive me. I very much doubt that this is normal.
It seems not, but it could be. As Marcella pointed out, I didn't receive any notice to say I was removed. And I was.

That's what I thought. I also thought that if forms did go out, Unionists have been very motivated since the flag so may have been more efficient in responding.

Ó Ghabhainn

All of them
East Belfast, East Antrim, East Derry, Lagan Valley, North Antrim, North Down Strangford and South Antrim are all below 3000. (20,458)

South Belfast, West Belfast, FST, Foyle, Mid Ulster, Newry/Armagh, North Belfast, South Down and West Tyrone are all above 3000. (39,995)

There is a clear picture there.

Last edited:

former wesleyan

It seems not, but it could be. As Marcella pointed out, I didn't receive any notice to say I was removed. And I was.

That's what I thought. I also thought that if forms did go out, Unionists have been very motivated since the flag so may have been more efficient in responding.
There are 18 constituencies and 18 mentioned. How could any particular tribe be singled out ?

Edit : OK. I've just seen your post.

Glaucon

East Belfast, East Antrim, East Derry, Lagan Valley, North Antrim, North Down Strangford and South Antrim are all below 3000.

South Belfast, West Belfast, FST, Foyle, Mid Ulster, Newry/Armagh, North Belfast, South Down and West Tyrone are all above 3000.

There is a clear picture there.
It could be coincidence, but given NI's history, there can't be any trust. This needs to be investigated.

devonish

It could be coincidence, but given NI's history, there can't be any trust. This needs to be investigated.
I seriously doubt if the electoral office is some sort of unionist bastion given that the civil service in general is broadly reflective of NI society. So I really can't see how some underhand campaign could be waged without a high risk of a whislteblower.

Ó Ghabhainn

I seriously doubt if the electoral office is some sort of unionist bastion given that the civil service in general is broadly reflective of NI society. So I really can't see how some underhand campaign could be waged without a high risk of a whislteblower.
It is highly irregular.

offalypat

same thing going on in the republic.

ger12

New Threads