'66 Days'........a movie Alex Kane recommends his fellow unionists to watch.

Mickeymac

Starving yourself to death has been described as the “most intimate kind of pain”; and because of that very intimacy it’s also a very powerful personal, political and propaganda tool. That’s what Bobby Sands intended his hunger strike to be between March 1 and May 5, 1981. He died for his own right and the right of other IRA inmates to be regarded and treated as ‘political prisoners’ rather than as criminals. Bobby Sands: 66 Days is the story of that hunger strike. It doesn’t really address the moral/political issue of whether he was right to demand ‘political’ status, but it does force the audience to ask, “what sort of man would do that sort of thing”?

Read more at: Bobby Sands film asks tough questions of nationalists as well as unionists - Belfast Newsletter

Alex Kane is a Unionist and well respected journalist, he has come out strongly in support of urging fellow Unionists to watch the film something the leadership within Unionism appear to have a problem with, would be very interesting to hear the views of Unionists on this forum re their plans to watch or simply ignore the film, which incidentally is now on general release.

vivabrigada

Starving yourself to death has been described as the “most intimate kind of pain”; and because of that very intimacy it’s also a very powerful personal, political and propaganda tool. That’s what Bobby Sands intended his hunger strike to be between March 1 and May 5, 1981. He died for his own right and the right of other IRA inmates to be regarded and treated as ‘political prisoners’ rather than as criminals. Bobby Sands: 66 Days is the story of that hunger strike. It doesn’t really address the moral/political issue of whether he was right to demand ‘political’ status, but it does force the audience to ask, “what sort of man would do that sort of thing”?

Read more at: Bobby Sands film asks tough questions of nationalists as well as unionists - Belfast Newsletter

Alex Kane is a Unionist and well respected journalist, he has come out strongly in support of urging fellow Unionists to watch the film something the leadership within Unionism appear to have a problem with, would be very interesting to hear the views of Unionists on this forum re their plans to watch or simply ignore the film, which incidentally is now on general release.
A well thought out article by Alex Kane.

belfast1981

Interesting article by Alex Kane.

I will check out the movie, though won't be until the end of the summer until I get time to do anything.

As much as I do not agree with Sands past, or his methods. I can't help but feel the man would have been a rather good politician if he had lived and might have been able to have had a lot of influence in bringing Republicans on board with the peace process had he been around post GFA..

clonard marxist

Website
www.irsp.ie
As much as I do not agree with Sands past, or his methods. I can't help but feel the man would have been a rather good politician if he had lived and might have been able to have had a lot of influence in bringing Republicans on board with the peace process had he been around post GFA..
What do you base any of this on?
Bobby was very clear in his writings that he believed in revolution in the real sense of the word and in pursuing it at all costs.
By his actions he proved he was a man of his word.
Many middle class trendy types feel compelled to acknowledge his sacrifice but can only do so by attempting to re-sculpt him as Ghandi reincarnate.
He was anything but, he was a proud fighting IRA man, of the old school.

Mickeymac

Interesting article by Alex Kane.

I will check out the movie, though won't be until the end of the summer until I get time to do anything.

Even Bobby Sands would have not been able to deliver Bel..............'Ireland unfree shall never be at peace' that statement is as true today as the day it was spoken.

Reading up in Irish history also gives folks a wider view of the World, particularly recent wars and their aftermath which most of Europe are suffering the fallout, wholesale migration, poverty, slaughter of innocents to name just three aspects.

Mickeymac

This is one thing I love and I admire about the Irish people, you have been underdogs for hundreds of years, people dominating you and ruling you and you can identify with this freedom struggle... I have my own on the other side of the water but we all have the same cause and ideals."
Muhammed Ali

Mickeymac

This is one thing I love and I admire about the Irish people, you have been underdogs for hundreds of years, people dominating you and ruling you and you can identify with this freedom struggle... I have my own on the other side of the water but we all have the same cause and ideals."
Muhammed Ali

No doubt McGuigan/Frampton will agree with the above sentiments.

Mickeymac

Appears there are only three people prepared to follow the example of the Unionist journalist to watch the movie.

Lucky you Alex, don't have to depend on the AH's to feed your family, you could have waved a fleg, demonised Catholics, priests etc, even a poke at SF/IRA but you refrained from such sh1t sir, well done sir, I respect you and will forward an email to confirm sir.

Mickeymac

Unionists should not ‘boycott’ this film. This is a crucial, still raw, part of our collective history and the impact of those 66 days is still with us. It takes a particular kind of courage to do what Sands did (how many of us would starve to death for our beliefs?), yet it’s hard to avoid the conclusion that he, too, in the end, became a victim of circumstances and events beyond his control. Did he die in vain? I don’t know. And nor, I suspect, will the vast majority of people who watch this important film.

Irish-Rationalist

I view the UUP as a contemptible party, but Kane as a former member has once again proven himself open-minded and liberal by encouraging unionists "not to abandon this film". Sands was a patriot and martyr to republicans, and a hate figure for unionism. If unionism is going to evolve it must take the blinkers off and attempt to view political history from the perspective of the other. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they not only abandon the film, but hold demonstrations outside cinemas.

between the bridges

Sinn Fein members at the Belfast premiere on Saturday evening told me that the commentary from Fintan O’Toole (he was one of a number of journalists, former prisoners and academics providing context), “didn’t do Bobby any favours”. One of their MLAs even said to me, after I’d asked him what he thought of it, “Well, Alex, I’m going to have to go home and mull over some of the stuff”. As a unionist, observing a mainly republican audience (some of whom had been in the H Blocks with Sands), watching a film about one of their supposed heroes, I was surprised by some evident discomfort. They, too, were being forced to revisit that moment and maybe, just maybe, revising and rethinking their previously set-in-stone opinions....

Bobby Sands film asks tough questions of nationalists as well as unionists - Belfast Newsletter

Se0samh

Sinn Fein members at the Belfast premiere on Saturday evening told me that the commentary from Fintan O’Toole (he was one of a number of journalists, former prisoners and academics providing context), “didn’t do Bobby any favours”. One of their MLAs even said to me, after I’d asked him what he thought of it, “Well, Alex, I’m going to have to go home and mull over some of the stuff”. As a unionist, observing a mainly republican audience (some of whom had been in the H Blocks with Sands), watching a film about one of their supposed heroes, I was surprised by some evident discomfort. They, too, were being forced to revisit that moment and maybe, just maybe, revising and rethinking their previously set-in-stone opinions....

Bobby Sands film asks tough questions of nationalists as well as unionists - Belfast Newsletter
:lol:

GDPR

I view the UUP as a contemptible party, but Kane as a former member has once again proven himself open-minded and liberal by encouraging unionists "not to abandon this film". Sands was a patriot and martyr to republicans, and a hate figure for unionism. If unionism is going to evolve it must take the blinkers off and attempt to view political history from the perspective of the other. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they not only abandon the film, but hold demonstrations outside cinemas.
Kane is a very smart lad and he can come up with real gems of insight and even wisdom for time to time, even though he can also be incredibly silly; he is one of the most, if not the most, likable and human figures in Northern Ireland public life.

between the bridges

The deaths of the hunger strikers was a human tragedy – it was a tragedy allowed and encouraged to happen because of the ideology for which those men subscribed allegiance. But greater still was the tragedy caused by the actions of terrorism and others who committed criminal violence in the context of the Troubles – the hunger strikers had a choice to live; they and their ‘comrades’ did not extend that same fundamental right to others.”

Read more at: ‘Terrorism idolatry’ of Sands film angers IRA victims - Belfast Newsletter

GDPR

Bobby Sands M.P. was mostly Ulster Scot in terms of blood and along with Francis Stuart, E.R. Dodds and Louis Mc Neice he ranks among the greatest Ulster Scots of the 20 th century.

purpledon

Haven't seen it but surely the above can only be a good thing.

Time and people move on and 3/4/5 decades later things can and ought to be viewed differently or at least seen another context and certainly in a calmer tone.

Big historical events are of its time and were hugely emotional and the hunger strikes were a huge at the time. Everyone was caught up in it, one way or another, whatever your views.

I've seen a You Tube Video of David Irvine and he talks about the blanket protests and hunger strikes and I found him very impressive. Can't remember the other 3/4 loyalists who were also on that video but all were impressive.

You know, one of the biggest mistakes RTE/BBC/UTV made is not having all these guys on air giving their point of view.

I remember the Late Late Show the Xmas after the Omagh bombing when many of the survivors appeared on the show and it had a big impact on me. Normally we hear x amount of people have been killed and x amount of injured. The mistake the media made was not talking to these people and putting them centre stage on live TV so the rest could see what injured from a bomb or bullet really looked like. People didn't know and the silence of the media is at fault here. Would the troubles have lasted as long if people in the ROI and GB actually saw the damage done in NI and the human cost?

Silence does a lot of damage.

Irish-Rationalist

And do you have an opinion to inarticulately express, Brainless the brainless? Or are you just going to issue lazy "lmfao's" and/or predictably recite the news?

Clanrickard

What do you base any of this on?
Bobby was very clear in his writings that he believed in revolution in the real sense of the word and in pursuing it at all costs.
By his actions he proved he was a man of his word.
Many middle class trendy types feel compelled to acknowledge his sacrifice but can only do so by attempting to re-sculpt him as Ghandi reincarnate.
He was anything but, he was a proud fighting IRA man, of the old school.
He was a terrorist.

New Threads

Most Replies