68% of Europeans 'feel like EU citizens'

gleeful

Another marker on the road to federalism. A new survey has found that a huge majority of the people across the European Union feel that EU citizenship is part of their identity.

More Europeans than ever say they feel like citizens of the EU | The Independent

"As Britain heads towards the exit door the rest of the continent feels more positive about European identity than ever, with a solid 68 per cent of the population telling the regular Eurobarometer poll that they “feel they are a citizen of the EU”."

Man or Mouse

I never felt that way before and have been Eurosceptic from day one, but for the first time this year while holidaying in the heart of Europe, I actually did feel it.

To tell the truth, I think the Brits act is solidifying that.

PBP voter

I never felt that way before and have been Eurosceptic from day one, but for the first time this year while holidaying in the heart of Europe, I actually did feel it.

Indeed. A lot of Irish people try to define themselves by being anti what ever the Brits are for.

Strawberry

Indeed. A lot of Irish people try to define themselves by being anti what ever the Brits are for.
Its a feeling that's evident all across Europe so you can quit trying to pretend its some Irish anti-British phenomenom.

gleeful

I've done some work for the EU over the past 10 years or so. Working in a team made up of people from dozens of states, its hard not to feel European.

I'm surprised its as high as 68% though.

PBP voter

Its a feeling that's evident all across Europe so you can quit trying to pretend its some Irish anti-British phenomenom.
Not really. Only the bubble dwellers believe this.

The EU is highly unpopular and if people were given the right to vote on membership it would break up in a few months.

gleeful

Germany unified at the end of the 19th century. I wonder how long it took people to 'feel German' instead of Saxon, Prussian, etc.

Dame_Enda

Kindof daft, considering citizenship of the EU is a legal term - not a sentiment.

Voluntary

I suppose it's a little bit different when you live in continental Europe, as there's no borders, no passport controls, you just drive wherever you want, stay wherever you want, work wherever you want. Also, at first some nations were afraid of the immigration from other EU member states and cultural diversity it brings. I think these worries are slowly going away as the social integration of migrants progress. People get acquainted with the new situation and start to notice advantages. 30 individual tribes may be weak but put them together and they become invincible.

Cdebru

Another marker on the road to federalism. A new survey has found that a huge majority of the people across the European Union feel that EU citizenship is part of their identity.

More Europeans than ever say they feel like citizens of the EU | The Independent

"As Britain heads towards the exit door the rest of the continent feels more positive about European identity than ever, with a solid 68 per cent of the population telling the regular Eurobarometer poll that they “feel they are a citizen of the EU”."
Why do you think this will lead to federalism ? I think the UK deciding to leave has made more people realise that benefits of EU membership can not be taken for granted, and being an EU citizen is important, doesn't mean they want a federal Europe, it is not the question that was asked.

hollandia

Having benefited first hand in a number of ways from the mere existence of the EU, I would view myself as European first, and Irish second, and have done for at least fifteen years.

Congalltee

I am an EU citizen. I feel European. But I'm against an EU federal state/United States of Europe/full monetary union/joining Schengen/ceding any further powers to the EU and I wished we had never joined the Euro (but we can't get out of it now).

gleeful

I suppose it's a little bit different when you live in continental Europe, as there's no borders, no passport controls, you just drive wherever you want, stay wherever you want, work wherever you want. Also, at first some nations were afraid of the immigration from other EU member states and cultural diversity it brings. I think these worries are slowly going away as the social integration of migrants progress. People get acquainted with the new situation and start to notice advantages. 30 individual tribes may be weak but put them together and they become invincible.
I think Irish people will feel the advantages even more when the UK is out. The pain of travel to the UK will contrast with how easy it is across the EU. It will bring it home for people.

Man or Mouse

The EU is highly unpopular and if people were given the right to vote on membership it would break up in a few months.
There's a difference between what one feels for the administration in Brussels and a feeling of being European. It is the latter I think that is beginning to be felt.

Deadlock

Germany unified at the end of the 19th century. I wonder how long it took people to 'feel German' instead of Saxon, Prussian, etc.
Interestingly in many parts of the continent the attachment to the local and the European feelings are often stronger than the national. I know Spaniards who describe themselves as Murcian and Catalan Europeans first, then Spanish.

Trainwreck

Are there any independent surveys.

This is the Eurobarometer we are talking about here.

Cdebru

It's not though, the UK was the most Eurosceptic country in the EU and it barely passed a referendum to leave, and if the referendum was held tomorrow it is unlikely it would pass again, the UK vote has actually made the rest of the EU a bit more pro EU, looking at the sh!t sandwich the UK made for themselves.

New Threads

Most Replies