750+ jobs to go at EIR

robut

Eir to cut 750 jobs after French takeover of phone company

Eir has unveiled plans to cut 750 jobs, days after a majority stake in the company was acquired by two French firms controlled by telecoms billionaire Xavier Niel.

The cost-cutting programme is “an effort to deliver cost savings and create a leaner, more agile organisation,” the company said in a statement confirming the voluntary redundancy plan to The Irish Times. “Eligible staff have already or will shortly receive correspondence with a personalised financial estimate for their consideration.”

Eir, which has been through more than 2,000 job cuts in recent years, currently has about 3,225 staff. The cost-cutting exercise is targeted at all grades of staff from workers in stores to managers, but excludes 1,100 of mainly field workers as the company continues to invest in its network, according to sources.
To be honest .. I am just amazed this company is still in existence after being pillaged continuously via takeovers etc for the last 2 decades?

Unfortunate for those losing the jobs BUT I imagine most will be voluntary and will walk away with a very handsome package indeed. Plus I would say many did well out of likes of ESOT - Eircom employee share option trust?

blokesbloke

Very sorry to hear for all those losing their jobs.

Whenever it happens in the UK the consensus on P.ie is that this is down to something called “Brexit”.

I do hope this isn’t the case here.

Hitchcock

To be honest .. I am just amazed this company is still in existence after being pillaged continuously via takeovers etc for the last 2 decades?

Unfortunate for those losing the jobs BUT I imagine most will be voluntary and will walk away with a very handsome package indeed. Plus I would say many did well out of likes of ESOT - Eircom employee share option trust?
Another graphical illustration of the abject bankruptcy of privatisation - in a country with appalling broadband coverage too. David Begg and his cronies have alot to answer for.

users

Back in the long ago days when I dealt with them, their customer service was simply amazing as in gobsmackingly obnoxious

devoutcapitalist

It's a voluntary redundancy programme that is available, previous redundancy packages have been quite generous.

Last edited:

devoutcapitalist

So just over one third of the workforce in Eir can't apply for the Redundancy package, out of roughly 2,200 employees who are eligible will Eir be able to get 750 applicants for redundancy?

mr_anderson

Another graphical illustration of the abject bankruptcy of privatisation - in a country with appalling broadband coverage too. David Begg and his cronies have alot to answer for.
On the contrary.
Could you imagine the continued taxpayer bailout if it was still in government hands.

Privatisation has saved us.

ruserious

They must have blown the staff budget making that Skellig ad.

devoutcapitalist

On the contrary.
Could you imagine the continued taxpayer bailout if it was still in government hands.

Privatisation has saved us.
Eir would probably still be employing at least 9,000 people and Vodafone would never have bought Eircell in the early 2000's.

wexfordman

How does the layoff of employees point to a failure ?

Outside of the protected public service, redundancies are a fact of life. Technology is making jobs redundant and companies more efficient and jobs are dissapearing as a result.

If eir have 700 excess staff, then they simplyhave to get rid of them, unfortunate as it is, but that's part of the process that allows companies to survive and remain competitive. Otherwise, they would still be employing telephone operators to this very day.

Own Arris

Selling off the fixed line infrastructure was certainly a big mistake, it should have been left in the ownership of the state as happened with the ESB Group.

CatullusV

Outside of the protected public service, redundancies are a fact of life. Technology is making jobs redundant and companies more efficient and jobs are dissapearing as a result.

If eir have 700 excess staff, then they simplyhave to get rid of them, unfortunate as it is, but that's part of the process that allows companies to survive and remain competitive. Otherwise, they would still be employing telephone operators to this very day.
The problem is that those most likely to opt for voluntary redundancy are those most confident in their skills and their chances in the private sector. It happened with Eircom and ESB in the past.

venusian

Selling off the fixed line infrastructure was certainly a big mistake, it should have been left in the ownership of the state as happened with the ESB Group.
Ah now don't be talking sense, the looney right on this site can't comprehend how important it is to society to have various major countrywide infrastructural items under state control for the benefit of all rather than to enrich the few.

leftsoc

Eir made their computer support redundant a while ago. The jobs went to India. Wheeeh!

wexfordman

Eir made their computer support redundant a while ago. The jobs went to India. Wheeeh!
Your point being ? Sorry, I don't speak "wheeeh"

oleoleole

Back in the long ago days when I dealt with them, their customer service was simply amazing as in gobsmackingly obnoxious

It is significantly worse now.

I am amazed this company is still in business.

gatsbygirl20

Your point being ? Sorry, I don't speak "wheeeh"
I think his point is that people--all "taxpayers"-- in Ireland lost their jobs--their livelihoods, their ability to pay their mortgage, educate their children and put food on the table

That might be a good economic outcome, showing the efficient working of the system etc. etc. but for those depending on the work to feed their families it was a bit of a disaster...

Dame_Enda

The 'joys' of globalisation. :mad:

Popular Threads

Most Replies