• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

78,857 non-Irish nationals on the live register

Unemployment still on the rise - Irish, Business - Independent.ie

This is a shocking number of people to be paying benefits too.

Surely now is the time to start looking after are own and thank the non nationals but send them on their way?

Imagine if we were to loose 78,857 people of the live register tommorow, this would go a long way to sorting out next years budget without the need to hurt Irish people further.

As for anyone who claims we cant deport EU nationals, I suggest you read this report.

France sends Roma Gypsies back to Romania
BBC News - France sends Roma Gypsies back to Romania

The Roma are EU citizens, mostly from Romania or Bulgaria, but French law requires them to have a work permit and prove they have the means to support themselves if they intend to stay for more than three months.

They complain that the permits are difficult to get, and so they are often forced to live illegally.

Roma who agree to leave have each receive 300 euros (£246; $384) and an additional 100 euros for each child.

The French government says it plans to shut down 300 illegal Roma camps in the next three months

Last edited:

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Good post, any Primary Sources for this data? Would like to see this broken out by nationality and length of stay in ireland.

They paid their stamps same as you.
Perhaps, would like to know more info tho.

hammer

What if they weren`t renting. What would that do for rental market................

Éireann go Brách

Romania and Bulgaria do not have full access to French labour market at present
thats why their people can be deported from France if they intend to stay for more than three months and have no work permit
This will change in near future.

Dunlin3

If they have paid their national insurance and are entitled to claim then what's the problem. What about all the Irish claiming abroad, should they all be stopped also? "Looking after our own" is just a euphanism for xenophobia.

If they have paid their national insurance and are entitled to claim then what's the problem. What about all the Irish claiming abroad, should they all be stopped also? "Looking after our own" is just a euphanism for xenophobia.

Its called survival.

We cannot afford our welfare bill, what should we do? Cut the welfare of hard pressed Irish families or hit the non nationals who most likely dont even have a family here and are living likes kings back in their own country. Not to mentions the millions paid out on child benefits and medical cards.

As for other nations, its up to them what they do with the Irish living and working there, but i would be shocked if you could produce figures showing nearly 80,000 Irish claiming dole in any one country.

charley

Its a non-story, Ireland employed a lot of EU nationals during the boom and they paid tax and PRSI same as everyone else. you pays your money you get on the merry-go-round .

Dunlin3

Its called survival.

We cannot afford our welfare bill, what should we do? Cut the welfare of hard pressed Irish families or hit the non nationals who most likely dont even have a family here and are living likes kings back in their own country. Not to mentions the millions paid out on child benefits and medical cards.

As for other nations, its up to them what they do with the Irish living and working there, but i would be shocked if you could produce figures showing nearly 80,000 Irish claiming dole in any one country.
There's plenty of things that we can't afford right now like the tens of thousands of retired civil servants on pensions of 40k plus a year but I don't see you calling for these penisons to be cut. You want to cut the welfare of unemployed foreigners. What about all the Irish living off the state for decades even when there where jobs for almost everyone a few years ago?

Trampas

Its a non-story, Ireland employed a lot of EU nationals during the boom ......

These would be the people who were never going to arrive here in the first place. Of course anyone who dared to suggest otherwise was a racist and xenophobe.

There's plenty of things that we can't afford right now like the tens of thousands of retired civil servants on pensions of 40k plus a year but I don't see you calling for these penisons to be cut. You want to cut the welfare of unemployed foreigners. What about all the Irish living off the state for decades even when there where jobs for almost everyone a few years ago?

I fully agree, retired civil servants should have their pensions cut, along with the state pension and lets not foget the curent crop of overpaid judges and TD`s etc.

As for the Layabout we have had for years then yes something should be done about those also, but that cant be done overnight.

Obviously if a non national has a family living here and is fully resident in the state then they should be given welfare, but as for those who are flying in once a month or are claiming the dole and sending it home then they should be cut off.

Dunlin3

I fully agree, retired civil servants should have their pensions cut, along with the state pension and lets not foget the curent crop of overpaid judges and TD`s etc.

As for the Layabout we have had for years then yes something should be done about those also, but that cant be done overnight.

Obviously if a non national has a family living here and is fully resident in the state ten they should be given welfare, but as for those who are flying in one a month or are claiming the dole and sending it home then they should be cut off.
Absolutely.

Dunlin3

If we all start buying houses again we`ll be sorted. No cuts anywhere :)
Yes the old buying and selling houses to each other at inflated prices with money borrowed from abroad. A better pyramid scheme was never invented! I'm glad I got out in time and I'm now a very happy tenant!!

Ulster-Lad

If they have the stamps then they are entitled to the dole.

I would be more enthusiastic about giving the GNIB more resources to get the illegal immigrants out of the country.

laidback

Does anyone have the figures by nationality in Ireland for

claiming the dole on basis of PRSI record (ie entitled to it regardless of nationality)
and
claiming unemployment assistance which is means tested( I dont see why we should pay non nationals this)

Also does anyone have figures for irish nationals claiming means tested unemployment benefits in EU states (ie not based on insurance contributions paid in those states). I would suspect (though willing to be proved wrong) that there are not many Irish citizens claiming as we are so reluctant to learn languages here and not that many jobs in the new EU states for it to be worth thousands of Irish nationals going there.

Popular Threads

Most Replies