• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

80 Irish websites questioned about cookies

statsman

The Data Protection Commissioner has written to 80 major Irish websites regarding their approach to EU regulations on the use of cookies.

The sites in question include 5 government departments, the Companies Registration Office, BoI, Permanent TSB and Boards.ie. The sites have 21 days to reply with an outline of their approach.

There's a full list here.

Data Commissioner tells 80 Irish websites to explain approach to EU cookies law - Ireland’s CIO and strategy news and reports service – Siliconrepublic.com

Ren84

Where's CookieMonster to explain all this carry on.........

*Cough*

I'll get my coat. :oops:

jmcc

F*cking EUnuchs in Brussels making life difficult as usual. There is a certain irony in the DPC writing to Weight Watchers about cookies though.

Ren84

It's a serious subject in fairness. Cookies harbour an awful amount of info on people as they browse the web. Most are not needed and could be done away with. I would recommend folks set their browsers to block cookies if possible. Hell, even this site has been prevented from setting their mischievous data gobblers onto me computer, but no problems browsing all the same. :)

sondagefaux

All any site has to do to comply is to have a clear link to their cookies policy on the home page which first-time visitors are invited to click on to confirm their acceptance of the site's cookies policy.

In my experience, the vast majority of websites aren't compliant.

Analyzer

Why? Five government departments and two banks, plus a list of major sites are in breach of EU rules.
But only because of their cookies.

Corruption, waste, incompetence, nepotism, funny expense regimes, absurd bonuses can all proceed as before.....

statsman

All any site has to do to comply is to have a clear link to their cookies policy on the home page which first-time visitors are invited to click on to confirm their acceptance of the site's cookies policy.

Exactly. It's a simple enough matter.

statsman

But only because of their cookies.

Corruption, waste, incompetence, nepotism, funny expense regimes, absurd bonuses can all proceed as before.....
Nice to see that whataboutery isn't confined to the NI forum.

None of those matters fall under the remit of the Data Protection Commissioner.

Sexual Harassment Panda

And if they don't accept? How will the site keep a record of who does and doesn't accept? With cooki... oh wait.

It's a stupid law that hasn't been thought out at all.

This is one of the funnier implementations I've seen:
This site uses cookies. For some reason we are now obliged to notify you of this fact. Not that you care. More info here.
Browsers now have a "do not track" feature, which is a far more sensible solution than this legislation.

Ren84

How many, if any, would click on a site's cookie policy? TBH this is ultimately meaningless. The EU should mandate that browsers are automatically set to block cookies.

jmcc

How many, if any, would click on a site's cookie policy? TBH this is ultimately meaningless. The EU should mandate that browsers are automatically set to block cookies.
Very few would even bother. The EU should get lost as the mess these bozos made of the .eu ccTLD is used as a benchmark to measure the failure of new top level domains.

Mr. Bumble

I'm not sure about this stuff, being a technophobe. Can someone guide me please?

Should I be outraged? Disgusted? Call the OP a troll? Agree wholeheartedly and like the OP? Attack a random poster? Flounce?

Popular Threads

Most Replies