83 yr old in fear of her life after house burgled during husband's funeral

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
57 years in the house, one of them died, and the thugs entered

Thieves ransack home of woman (83) while she attended her husband
Ms Moriarty had only been gone from her Tralee home for just over forty minutes to attend the service at Hogan’s Funeral Home on December 2.
The same perpetrators, time after time ...home invasions galore. What would be wrong with sending recidivist of their ilk to prison camps for life ?

cyp

RodShaft

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Won't be long now before we'll be seeing vigilantism on the rise. People aren't going to stand for much of this and if the gardai and courts seem powerless to do anything about it there's only one way these kind of reports will push local communities.

Or perhaps it suits the 'law and order' party as an offshoot of the austerity policies to allow a situation to develop where they get to resurrect their infamous 'heavy gang' approach.

In the same way as it can suit some politicians to see the Health service run down so that demands for privatisation appear as the solution (opinion-herding) it may also suit some politicians to allow law and order to deteriorate to make their preferred solutions appear more palatable to the public.

Ever get the sense that 'austerity' policies are a sort of planned obsolescence of services? Like a sort of backdoor PD policy?

Vega1447

these feral rats are reading the funeral notices :mad:
I had heard that (in country areas) neighbours often volunteer to guard houses during funerals?

Great idea, terrible that it is necessary.

Levellers

We have to leave someone, usually a neighbour, in the house at funeral time etcetera.

Man or Mouse

There's a scenic walk in this area with a car park that is quite busy during Summer with people coming and going all the time. The walk takes about three hours. This time of year however, only the hardiest of walkers are doing it and, for some time back, every car that parks there is broken into. The perpetrators in the collective are known.

From comments made by several victims, it is only a matter of time before someone takes the law into their own hands.

Supra

I had heard that (in country areas) neighbours often volunteer to guard houses during funerals?

Yes it's common. Not only during funerals but Weddings, fundraisers, community events etc.
Often there are one or two people in a community who are the designated 'house sitters.' Usually someone that would prefer not to go to a wedding or an event.

Franzoni

Not only in the country ...i've been asked to do it for people in the inner city a few times....

captain obvious

That is truly appalling. This poor woman has now pretty much lost everything at an incredibly vulnerable time in her life. What's more, is this will instill fear into anybody else in her age group whether they stay at home or leave for a social event.

Something visible needs to be done to stamp this out. Somebody once said that you judge a society by how it treats its vulnerable members. Its about time we stepped up to the plate in this regard.

blokesbloke

Oh for fecks sake.

I don't care how hard a life these people had, this is sick.

captain obvious

I read recently of some group setting up a neighborhood watch scheme involving cameras and number plate reading technology. Is it feasible to roll this out on a national basis and would this discourage this sort of terrorism ?

I know there are certain rules regarding the law and video evidence, and then there is the civil liberties aspect. But we really need to look at our priorities and ask if the law or our approach needs to change.

Lúidín

Neighbourhood policing, or vigilantism if you prefer, is a good idea. After all our laws and law enforcement came about to protect people and now that they are breaking down, it is time for people to create new local models. Of course, we could elect governments that give a damn but that is unlikely.

Meanwhile, we can talk to our neigbours and offer to do a funeral watch or a car-park watch. It really is that simple to start a policing service.

Franzoni

Won't be long now before we'll be seeing vigilantism on the rise. People aren't going to stand for much of this and if the gardai and courts seem powerless to do anything about it there's only one way these kind of reports will push local communities.
An in law who lives in a quiet estate rang me to ask my advice a while back of what to do of the problem or vans coming in and circling around constantly in loops ....

As there is only one way in or out for traffic i advised a barrier at night time manned by a few fit and healthy members of the residents committee much like we did in the 80's and you will get the necessary attention from the authorities you need soon after....

Or perhaps it suits the 'law and order' party as an offshoot of the austerity policies to allow a situation to develop where they get to resurrect their infamous 'heavy gang' approach.
Is there anyone left in the feds to man an 'heavy gang'.?...most seem to be about 5ft4 these days and spend most of the time on their arse in a warm car looking out the window.......

In the same way as it can suit some politicians to see the Health service run down so that demands for privatisation appear as the solution (opinion-herding) it may also suit some politicians to allow law and order to deteriorate to make their preferred solutions appear more palatable to the public.

Ever get the sense that 'austerity' policies are a sort of planned obsolescence of services? Like a sort of backdoor PD policy?

Yes.... it also has the added advantage to increasingly add costs out on home security issues and the possibility of privatizing new prisons like in the USA and Britain ........i see you now need to use registered contractors for even the installation of a small CCTV camera to see who is at the door and ads on the radio threatening fines up to 500k for electronic gates if not installed by a registered contractor....

Quangos seem to be doing well....

damus

We got family....and it was necessary 30 years ago too.

Franzoni

Oh for fecks sake.

I remember back in the 80's when two junkies broke into a flat in the part of town where i lived where two elderly people who happened to be home at the time...one of them hit the man who was quite frail and who was in his 80's then over the head with the poker from the fireplace....

From what i can recall of the time both of them died not long after within a few months of each other...as they had no family to look after their belongings when the workmen were clearing out the flat they were loading some beautiful old furniture onto the back of the lorry and some of the relations of the same animals who had been involved took some of it and sold it to local antique dealers....

You are dealing with scum who prey on the weak and vulnerable and too many do gooders these days who don't deal in reality...

RodShaft

Oh for fecks sake.

Who said they had a hard life?

The answer is greater resourcing of police and prisons and harsher sentences.

What it's not is reducing the safeguards protecting us from too many wrongful convictions.

General comment. Not aimed at you BB.

Sotired

Poor woman.

For that to happen at such a heart-breaking time for her.

No words fit to properly describe those people.

Has been happening for years.

My mother's funeral in Dublin 1980.

My neighbour from down the road noticed two blokes loitering with intent as he made his way to the funeral just as we were leaving the house.

He took my keys and stayed there.

An ex-Ireland international rugby player.

Forever in his debt.

HereWeGoAgain

These people are scum, preying on the most vulnerable, terrorising them out of their own homes so that so that they no longer feel safe. The elderly are not cherished amongst our society, we tend to disregard them and build nursing homes to accommodate them, even when they are not needy. It is sad, that having worked and contributed to the economy and society during the leanest of times in the 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's that they are now living out their twilight years in absolute fear of returning to their safe haven, their home.

The shame lies with us for tolerating this for too long. Arrest the perpetrators and do-gooders who support them and throw away the keys. Time for a tough stance so that innocent lives are not forever ruined.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies