• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

86 year old refused respite care.

imokyrok

The underlined bit is complete and utter bull for starters. Here's the appeals process to be followed in respect of any HSE decisions that you are dissatisfied with. And they're suppose to advise you of the details of the procedure in the PFO letter.

HSE.ie - Health Service Executive Website - Appeals Process

Second, I'd get access to all your MIL's records on file which will show how they arrived at their decision and all factors that were taken in to account under S. 7 of FOI - it'll help in terms of formulating the grounds of the appeal. I'd also write to the decision-maker advising them of any safety risks relating to your MIL - which then puts the legal onus on them if anything happens (if you get my drift). I'd also contact the carers association for advice and age action also have an advice line.

You also have recourse to the office of the ombudsman if you're dissatisifed with the decision. The Ombudsman can investigate cases relating to maladministration.

Do you mind me asking if your MIL is getting any kind of home-help etc....

Here's the explanation of what constitutes maladministration.

Maladministration - The Office of the Ombudsman
She gets a hour in the morning to get her washed and dressed and a half hour in the evening for preparing an evening meal. We spend some hours with her every Saturday and do her shopping, bill paying etc and if she is up to it she comes to us every second Sunday also. I can't complain about how the HSE has provided for her to date. But now that things are in crisis they don't seem to be able to step up.

imokyrok

I have to go to the hospital now so thanks for all the suggestions so far and I'll check back in later.

Tawdy

Dont take her home tell them you cant take care of her,let them sort it.

Horrible as that advice is, it is actually the only way to get her the help she needs.

I do hope it works out for her, my heart goes out to you.

The Field Marshal

No wonder our hospitals are f%#ked.
Its your political parties minister that is responsible for correcting the problems in the Irish health service.:roll:

damus

She gets a hour in the morning to get her washed and dressed and a half hour in the evening for preparing an evening meal. We spend some hours with her every Saturday and do her shopping, bill paying etc and if she is up to it she comes to us every second Sunday also. I can't complain about how the HSE has provided for her to date. But now that things are in crisis they don't seem to be able to step up.
Did she have a home assessment (with OT's, Physio's etc) as part of the hospital discharge process - scrub that I just realised that she's in the Hermitage!

There was a good article in the ST by Vinnie O'Dowd about the numbers of delayed discharge patients who are occupying beds in our acute hospitals, but unfortunately I don't seem to be able to link to it. A patient with vascular dementia was reported as spending 248 days in Beaumont costing €270,000, and all because there was no bed available in a nursing home. She was only discharged last month.

Last week Beaumont had 24 delayed discharge patients, St. James's 123, SVUH 57, CUH 20, UHG 2 and the Mid Western in Limerick 3. Twenty-five of the patients in St. James's have been there for over six months, while two in CUH and the Mid Western have also been there for six months plus.

The HSE contends that a special programme that's being run by the SDU had resulted in the discharge of 415 patients to transitional care beds, with another 73 patients being discharged to rehab since 2012. They also seem to think that the numbers of delayed discharge patients is directly linked to the "significant increase in the number of very sick patients needing admission" due to the norovirus. One would have thought that the high number of discharge delay patients is down to the lack of community supports, rehab and long-stay care beds - not the norovirus.

Last edited:

The Field Marshal

I have to go to the hospital now so thanks for all the suggestions so far and I'll check back in later.
The Irish minister for Health lives in a big mansion down the country.

He claims he is a caring and compassionate man.

Suggest you drive your mother in law to the gates of his mansion.

Ensure she is comfortable then, having alerted the media, leave here there alone in the car.

You can enjoy watching what happens on the news in the local pub.
Now thats respite.

damus

The problem is that her GP referred her into The Hermitage as she has VHI. He thought he was doing her a favour by avoiding the awful A&E experience that would await her in Beaumont in her terrified, distressed state. However if she had gone into Beaumont they would have social worker support. The Hertigage tell us that once they determine she can leave the hospital VHI ceases to cover and she will be charged for every day longer.

We are thinking we may have to take her to her home and get her GP to start all over again sending her through A&E in Beaumont. The distress that would cause her would be awful - we've been there before and when she is hallucinating the chaos of Beaumont trolley land send her into hyper distress.
Perhaps get her GP or the consultant in the hermitage to get an urgent referral to Dr. Ciaran Donegan who is the consultant in geriatric medicine in Beaumont and look for a geriatric assessment. You may well have to go through ED.

Beaumont Hospital - Clinic Search

Last edited:

Fractional Reserve

can any of the family look after her ?
I looking for some advice regarding accessing services for my elderly mother in law. She is in hospital recovering from a psychotic break and requires supervised medical care convalescence or respite care for when they discharge her from the hospital according to her consultant. The Public Health service attached to her area has refused care and told us there is no appeals process. She is 86 years old, barely mobile, almost fully blind, deaf and now has regular visual hallucinations and she lives alone. She has been a widow for forty years and so has no financial resources other than her pension. Any ideas?

Fractional Reserve

F67ked is right , i got a heart attack three weeks ago , it took 40-45 mins for the ambulance to arrive . Into the a and e bloods taken and ecg elevated lying round on a trolley all night , 16 hrs later rushed to a cardic unit for invasive stents .Lucky I was a fit type , strong or i would have be looking at the daisy roots .The system is a complete mess no organisation .There must have been 30 trollies all over the A&E that night any hole that could be filled by a trollie or seat was , it would remind you of a scene from MASH
No wonder our hospitals are f%#ked.

Last edited:

damus

F67ked is right , i got a heart attack three weeks ago , it took 40-45 mins for the ambulance to arrive . Into the a and e bloods taken and ecg elevated lying round on a trolley all night , 16 hrs later rushed to a cardic unit for invasive stents .Lucky I was a fit type , strong or i would have be looking at the daisy roots .The system is a complete mess no organisation .
An ambulance arrived to my mums door quite recently - some total scummer made a hoax call!

realist

requires supervised medical care convalescence or respite care for when they discharge her from the hospital according to her consultant.
If her consultant advised that she needs convalescence/respite care after discharge then surely he cannot release her until he is satisfied that this care will be provided?

The problem is that her GP referred her into The Hermitage as she has VHI. He thought he was doing her a favour by avoiding the awful A&E experience that would await her in Beaumont in her terrified, distressed state. However if she had gone into Beaumont they would have social worker support. The Hertigage tell us that once they determine she can leave the hospital VHI ceases to cover and she will be charged for every day longer.
Again I would argue that, according to her consultant, she cannot leave unless respite care is available. I would insist that they should arrange for her to be transferred to a local nursing home for respite care. I would also check with VHI to see what her options are.

Fractional Reserve

Nasty individuals that do things like that . The problem now is the ambulance service are told to respond and get ready , so you may be in galway and an ambulance from Mayo may be told to respond complete daftness, the Mayo ambulance has to head for GALWAY but the Galway ambulance will have collected you (the patient) in the meantime,the Mayo ambulance now is halfway to Galway has to turn back after a stupid wasted call , but its what looks good on paper for the hse as they say they have responded in 90 second .

An ambulance arrived to my mums door quite recently - some total scummer made a hoax call!

damus

Nasty individuals that do things like that . The problem now is the ambulance service are told to respond and get ready , so you may be in galway and an ambulance from Mayo may be told to respond complete daftness, the Mayo ambulance has to head for GALWAY but the Galway ambulance will have collected you (the patient) in the meantime,the Mayo ambulance now is halfway to Galway has to turn back after a stupid wasted call , but its what looks good on paper for the hse as they say they have responded in 90 second .
Yes, they have to respond. I think that they possibly knew that it was a hoaxer because only one ambo came to the door unequipped while the other sat outside in the unit. Can't understand that sort of mentality myself - god knows how many patients who were in medical need were left waiting for an ambo to become available in the greater Dublin area while these scummers had their bit of mindless fun - they wanna hope that they're never on the receiving end of being told that you're way down in a queue and that there's no ambulance currently available to respond to your call!

beolight

Twitter
Oscarwildefan
If you have gOne private route you can get vhi to cover 6 months
In highfield swords road they will have to come out and assess her first
This it seems is your only option(private) if psychotic episodes have been
Charted

Other than that go public either beaumont or the mater and public health nurse can not refuse to see her

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Dont take her home tell them you cant take care of her,let them sort it.
Not sure squatting really is the answer though. It's also a person who has been deemed fit enough to be discharged taking the place of someone who may need that bed. I don't envy the OP his choices, I have been there with one parent and have another who is not far off the mark, but it wouldn't cross our minds to tell her to stay put and set up some battle of nerves.

damus

Not to mention the fact that very few nursing homes will admit patients with psych difficulties.

The Field Marshal

Not to mention the fact that very few nursing homes will admit patients with psych difficulties.
If she runs for electoral office in Ireland there won't be any problems concerning admission anywhere for psychiatric difficulties.

macbar37

Horrible as that advice is, it is actually the only way to get her the help she needs.

I do hope it works out for her, my heart goes out to you.

I have to agree here they cant throw her out on the side of the road.
I hope you can get her the care she needs.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies