90 percent of Tory Leave voters say destabilizing the peace process is a price worth paying

McSlaggart

Almost 90 percent of Tory Leave voters say destabilizing the peace process is a price worth paying for Brexit. But opposition among some Brexiteers to the Good Friday Agreement runs deeper than their fears that it could scupper dreams of a clean break with Brussels. A number of prominent Tories are long-running critics of an agreement (brokered under a Labour government) that paved the way for former IRA fighters to enter government. Environment Secretary Michael Gove has even compared the process that led to the 1998 deal to the appeasement of the Nazis in the 1930s and the condoning of the desires of pedophiles.

https://www.politico.eu/article/brexiteers-broadside-northern-ireland-peace-deal-good-friday-agreement/

Its no wonder they can work with the DUP.

Socratus O' Pericles

Where did they get 90% from?

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Almost 90 percent of Tory Leave voters say destabilizing the peace process is a price worth paying for Brexit. But opposition among some Brexiteers to the Good Friday Agreement runs deeper than their fears that it could scupper dreams of a clean break with Brussels. A number of prominent Tories are long-running critics of an agreement (brokered under a Labour government) that paved the way for former IRA fighters to enter government. Environment Secretary Michael Gove has even compared the process that led to the 1998 deal to the appeasement of the Nazis in the 1930s and the condoning of the desires of pedophiles.

https://www.politico.eu/article/brexiteers-broadside-northern-ireland-peace-deal-good-friday-agreement/

Forget for a second the rights or wrongs of Brexit, but brexit has been driven by the idea that it is a necessary recapture of British sovereignty. If you believed (rightly or wrongly) that Irish sovereignty was on the line, are you telling me that you wouldn't risk the temporary destabilization of peace talks that had secured peace in Bray (pretend a fractious, unlovely and remote part of Ireland) to gain it? Even if your source is true, does it really surprise you? If so, why?

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Where did they get 90% from?
Alex Massie apparently, who got it from a "Future of England" survey:

Sadly, the figure only drops a little -- to 81 percent -- if you include all Brexiteers, and not just the Tories.

"According to the most recent Future of England survey, a joint initiative of the University of Edinburgh and Cardiff University, 81 per cent of Leave voters in England believe destabilising the Northern Irish peace process a price worth paying if that’s what Brexit requires. "

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/why-brexit-at-all-costs-really-is-dispiriting-5rnfd6rff

Would I be right in assuming from the name that the survey only included English or English and Welsh brexiteers?

parentheses

Ireland is the perpetual victim in the relationship with our nearest neighbour

They don't care.

gleeful

I suspect most of them would like to destabilize NI even if it wasnt needed for Brexit.

paddycomeback

Forget for a second the rights or wrongs of Brexit, but brexit has been driven by the idea that it is a necessary recapture of British sovereignty. If you believed (rightly or wrongly) that Irish sovereignty was on the line, are you telling me that you wouldn't risk the temporary destabilization of peace talks that had secured peace in Bray (pretend a fractious, unlovely and remote part of Ireland) to gain it? Even if your source is true, does it really surprise you? If so, why?
Unfortunately for the Irish (in your scenario) the Bray Liberation Front has a tendency to blow places up not just in Bray.

Socratus O' Pericles

Unfortunately for the Irish (in your scenario) the Bray Liberation Front has a tendency to blow places up not just in Bray.
If you need a few lads from the noggin and the brack to go down and sort it, give us a pm.

GDPR

Get out of your Nordie bubble....The EU is the biggest threat to Europe since Hitler and it has been destroying the South. Anyway with demographics going the way they are it is the Prods who have to really worry if the GFA totally fades away.

Franzoni

British sovereignty isn't on the line....the British can walk away next March with no deal if they so wish...it is the British who sent a delegation to the EU to look for and negotiate a deal...

It is the snowflakes who cry about the big bad EU who are the ones who then whinge about the EU 'punishing' Britain in the event of a no deal because the rest of us who are staying don't think it's a very good idea to allow an unregulated country to pull up beside up and start selling their crap out of the boot of their car while the rest of us are paying to keep the market open and maintain some sort of safety standards........

Maybe the Brits are too long out of the game to fully understand what full independence means as the Yanks have held their hand since the Second World War....

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt

Franzoni

What I proposed was "Imagine if you thought it was". Most brexiteers do.
You seem to be suggesting that 52% of those who voted for Brexit are paranoid and didn't fully understand what they were voting on...

Maybe best to let them on their way so........

McSlaggart

If you believed (rightly or wrongly) that Irish sovereignty was on the line, are you telling me that you wouldn't risk the temporary destabilization of peace talks that had secured peace in Bray (pretend a fractious, unlovely and remote part of Ireland) to gain it? Even if your source is true, does it really surprise you? If so, why?
Firstly it does not surprise me in light of how incompetant the conservatives have been over Brexit. Secondly I am from Tyrone and would not put peace in Bray at risk over a negotation position with the EU.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
You seem to be suggesting that 52% of those who voted for Brexit are paranoid and didn't fully understand what they were voting on...

Maybe best to let them on their way so........
1. No I don't.
2. Really? How so?

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Firstly it does not surprise me in light of how incompetant the conservatives have been over Brexit.
OK

Secondly I am from Tyrone and would not put peace in Bray at risk over a negotation position with the EU.
I didn't ask you that. I asked you to imagine if you thought your country's sovereignty was at risk, and risking a temporary (anyone who thinks anything in NI is permanent isn't serious) destabilization of the situation in Bray would be a price worth paying.

Edo

the most shocking thing for me is that 90% of Tory voters know the Peace Process actually existed.............

New Threads

Most Replies