90th Anniversary Cleggan Bay Disaster of 1927

New book tells of tragic night when 45 men died

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/Oct1927_storm.pdf

RTÉ Radio 1: Documentary on One - Cleggan Disaster

Irish Film Board - Film Directory - Documentary - The Cleggan Disaster

Late October 2017 will mark 90th anniversary of a disaster on West Coast of Ireland where 45 men out fishing were killed when a storm destroyed their boats.

Inishkea, Lacken, Inishbofin and Cleggan in Galway and Mayo were all badly hit but it is often referred to as the Cleggan Bay Disaster as 26 me died from there.

Some of the impact was that the population of Inishkea where 10 men died that ultimately it became unihabited in 1934 such was the loss of so many of the male population of the Island.

I must admit I had never heard of this until was researching something recently and came across it.

automaticforthepeople

New book tells of tragic night when 45 men died

http://www.met.ie/climate-ireland/weather-events/Oct1927_storm.pdf

RTÉ Radio 1: Documentary on One - Cleggan Disaster

Irish Film Board - Film Directory - Documentary - The Cleggan Disaster

Late October 2017 will mark 90th anniversary of a disaster on West Coast of Ireland where 45 men out fishing were killed when a storm destroyed their boats.

Inishkea, Lacken, Inishbofin and Cleggan in Galway and Mayo were all badly hit but it is often referred to as the Cleggan Bay Disaster as 26 me died from there.

Some of the impact was that the population of Inishkea where 10 men died that ultimately it became unihabited in 1934 such was the loss of so many of the male population of the Island.

I must admit I had never heard of this until was researching something recently and came across it.
I remember watching an RTE programme about the disaster in the 70's when it was the 50th anniversary. They had interviews with some survivors who were all old men at the time. The locals had no radio and when the local doctor heard the weather forecast on the radio he went to the pier to warn the Cleggan fishermen not to go out but they had already left in small open boats.

ergo2

Sad thing about the Inishkeas was the coolness between Inishkea North and Inishkea South.
E.g when the Norwegian whaling station was at Inishkea S. c 1908 to WW1 those on the south island kept the whaling jobs there. They allowed the northern islanders onto the south island to work their ( southerners' ) land, thus freeing the south islanders to work at the whaling station

Last edited:

automaticforthepeople

It is interesting that Ireland has a seat on the International Whaling Commission because of the whaling station in Inniskea.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies