A.A. Gill RIP.

former wesleyan

A.A. Gill - 28 June 1954 – 10 December 2016- died of the " full English Breakfast " of cancers he announced in the Sunday Times a couple of weeks ago. After Clive James in the Observer, he was the wittiest columnist around.

He dismissed Gordon Ramsay — who had thrown him out of one of his restaurants — as “a wonderful chef, just a really second-rate human being”.

a dossier of his articles was presented to Swansea police by a coalition of citizens after he labelled the Welsh “ugly, pugnacious little trolls”.

In 2010, The Sunday Times disclosed that Gill had been the subject of 62 PCC complaints in five years :D

Hero.

Not really a hero. It was only on meeting him that one realised what an utter dick he was.

D

Deleted member 48908

Aw man. Mitsui turned me on to his "Here and There" a few years ago.

RIP

bonkers

Not really a hero. It was only on meeting him that one realised what an utter dick he was.
How/when did you meet him? How was he such a dick? I always enjoyed reading his articles but very rarely agreed with him.

How/when did you meet him? How was he such a dick? I always enjoyed reading his articles but very rarely agreed with him.
Was invited to dine with him in 2002 via what I suppose might be called a surrogate these days.

A girl I knew knew him. We ate in a Greek place in Fulham.

He acted as if he owned the place and talked for much of the time into a dictaphone.

The meal was utterly superb. The chef sent out every dish on the menu.

Ellen Ripley

RIP.

A stylish master of prose; his riffs in his restaurant column were always the most readable part of the Sunday Times.

sic transit

His personality did come across in his articles IMO but he was always worth a read.

HarshBuzz

ah Des. Observe the proprietaries for God's sake.

His columns were always enjoyable reading, all the more so for dealing only tangentially with the supposed subject matter. RIP.

ah Des. Observe the proprietaries for God's sake.

His columns were always enjoyable reading, all the more so for dealing only tangentially with the supposed subject matter. RIP.
I'll agree that his column was a good read. He was a dick, though.

He'd expect that such would be said.

HarshBuzz

I'll agree that his column was a good read. He was a dick, though.

He'd expect that such would be said.
Really. I find it pretty distasteful to air such a sentiment within hours of someone's death.

Anyway, to each his own.

bonkers

Was invited to dine with him in 2002 via what I suppose might be called a surrogate these days.

A girl I knew knew him. We ate in a Greek place in Fulham.

He acted as if he owned the place and talked for much of the time into a dictaphone.

The meal was utterly superb. The chef sent out every dish on the menu.
I think he had dyslexia. That was probably the reason for using a dictaphone. Did he write about that restaurant?

Emily Davison

I think he had dyslexia. That was probably the reason for using a dictaphone. Did he write about that restaurant?
He indeed had dyslexia. Which is why he dictated his articles. He battled and won two addictions. Alcohol and later smoking.

I've been reading him for years and loved everything he wrote, yes he has the regular restaurant column, but he wrote other stuff too. I loved his piece from Iceland for example. He also had a thing going with Clarkson.

I had not realised he was so close, hope he had time to marry 'the blonde'.

Mega mega fan here. A poster on here knowing I'm a fan emailed me on his passing. I'll collect my Sunday Times tomorrow to read his last piece which I will read in sadness at his passing at only 62.

Last edited:

Cai

A.A. Gill - 28 June 1954 – 10 December 2016- died of the " full English Breakfast " of cancers he announced in the Sunday Times a couple of weeks ago. After Clive James in the Observer, he was the wittiest columnist around.

He dismissed Gordon Ramsay — who had thrown him out of one of his restaurants — as “a wonderful chef, just a really second-rate human being”.

a dossier of his articles was presented to Swansea police by a coalition of citizens after he labelled the Welsh “ugly, pugnacious little trolls”.

Hero.
The full quote was 'loquacious, dissemblers, immoral liars, stunted, bigoted, dark, ugly, pugnacious little trolls'.

Quite ugly really, it's not very clever to vilify whole groups of people, even if it's for the sole purpose of showing off.

Still it's a great pity his life was cut short - cancer's a real bitch.

Really. I find it pretty distasteful to air such a sentiment within hours of someone's death.

Anyway, to each his own.
He'd have said the same. He was a distasteful pr1ck who respected nobody other than himself. He would shed no tears whatever at that description of himself.

former wesleyan

The full quote was
'loquacious, dissemblers, immoral liars, stunted, bigoted, dark, ugly, pugnacious little trolls'.
Quite ugly really, it's not very clever to vilify whole groups of people, even if it's for the sole purpose of showing off.

Still it's a great pity his life was cut short - cancer's a real bitch.
And ? My father , from dismal Ebbw Vale, was all that and worse. When, as my sainted grandmother noted, an ordinary young fellow didn't want to go to war, they at least had the courage to shoot themselves in the foot. Your father she said , twisted his ankle on the gangplank.

flavirostris

I saw this earlier. Had no idea he was even ill. Very handsome guy. Could have done Bond if he was an actor.

Cai

And ? My father , from dismal Ebbw Vale, was all that and worse. When, as my sainted grandmother noted, an ordinary young fellow didn't want to go to war, they at least had the courage to shoot themselves in the foot. Your father she said , twisted his ankle on the gangplank.
The issue is that he characterised a whole ethnic group / country in accordance with quite crude English stereotypes. At the time things were more politically correct than they are nowdays & the only group you'd get away with doing this would be the Welsh - & possibly the Scots. The stereotype of the thick Irishman had fallen by the wayside by then.

Nowdays of course it 's far more acceptable to stereotype, insult & lampoon whole groups of people.

flavirostris

It's hard to imagine someone getting away with making those comments about another ethnic group, like muslims.

Imagine if he said Pakistanis were ugly, stunted, pugnacious trolls.

New Threads

Most Replies