• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

A Ballymuphy ************************************!

GDPR

I agree entirely that he did not mean to make any racial slur and was obviously tweeting in admiration for the lead black character in the film , but he is around long enough to know how the media will play this , and play this they will.

Remember when he told the harmless joke about Michael Collins threatening to shoot newspaper editors , the Indo made it sound like Adams had threatened to set the IRA on Fionnan Sheehan of the Indo , the said Sheehan will think all his Christmases have come at once he hears about this. The Faux outrage will be epic.
The one people you can say anything about in Ireland are people from the Six Counties ...

Im nor dumb - I know this OP is a wind up making the point that if GA ordered black coffee, some fool would say that meant he was a Black and Tan ...

I am just laying down the law here. Like I do from time to time :)

Betson

If you were Adams media adviser , how would you advise him to handle this.

A) Ignore it

b) Issue an apology if he caused offence saying he was tired etc and used an inappropriate word

C) Or C, dress up in blank Gangsta gear with gold chains , cap wrong way around , pants pulled down to his knee's etc and come out and say he is down with all the Bros and the Hoe's and as such can use such language without meaning offense.

Dubstudent

Do you really think it was racist? or just a stupid twitter post that he should have known better not to tweet.
It matters little what I think in reality.

Many people will see this as an outright racist slur. I'm sure the new Student Union leader in the UK Malia Bouattia will be condemning the words of this old ''privileged'' white man.

Hate be bad yo.

Dubstudent

Nationalists in the North were treated Like African Americans?

How pathetic is that .... Where were the Jim Crow Laws , Tuskegee, etc ....

Gerry trying to piggy back onto real oppression ....
The Unionist clowns did make a balls of running NI.

Awful society they created with their petty discrimination. That's the accepted narrative now in a nutshell.

R

Ramps

"Any1 who saw Django would know my tweets & N-word were ironic.
Nationalists in Nth were treated like African Americans."

I'm outraged: Yet another public figure doesn't know what 'ironic' means.

Cruimh

The Unionist clowns did make a balls of running NI.

Awful society they created with their petty discrimination.
Balls - a damned sight better than the one created across the border .... and you can thank Collins and the IRA for suspicion and hostility .... if they had kept to the pact it would have been very different.

Or are you trying to say that African Americans only faced Petty discrimination?

Dubstudent

Balls - a damned sight better than the one created across the border .... and you can thank Collins and the IRA for suspicion and hostility .... if they had kept to the pact it would have been very different.
A damned sight better than what? We didn't have a 30 year civil conflict down here. We succeeded where you failed.

Or are you trying to say that African Americans only faced Petty discrimination?
African Americans may be able to connect with the history of the native Irish (Douglass etc). In terms of the discriminatory penal laws etc and the fight against them.

On the other hand of course African Americans may have difficulty connecting with the Ulster-Scots particularly their history in the USA which saw them set up the Ku Klux Klan.....

R

Ramps

When did people become so interested in 'offence' that they lost sight of intent and context?

GA's use of 'n*gger' was no more racist (sectarian) than Spurs' fans' calling themselves 'Yid Army'.

I would have to ask, though: What is the benefit, when weighed against harm, of public figures' using Twitter?

As far as I can tell, politicians, sports stars, actors, musicians etc spend more time *defending* things they have tweeted....

theloner

[video=youtube;CtY5bv-oxLE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtY5bv-oxLE[/video]

petaljam

Balls - a damned sight better than the one created across the border
Ironically, very similar claims used to be made by supporters of the Apartheid regime, who always pointed to black immigration from other African countries as evidence that Apartheid as fine and dandy really.

petaljam

When did people become so interested in 'offence' that they lost sight of intent and context?

GA's use of 'n*gger' was no more racist (sectarian) than Spurs' fans' calling themselves 'Yid Army'.
We saw exactly the same crazy misunderstanding of context over Charlie Hebdo. I suspect it's a combination of ignorance of context and a frantic need not to pass up on any occasion, however unsuitable, to give their own agenda a shove.

I would have to ask, though: What is the benefit, when weighed against harm, of public figures' using Twitter?

As far as I can tell, politicians, sports stars, actors, musicians etc spend more time *defending* things they have tweeted....
That was my first thought when I saw this thread, "Gerry lad, you're should probably give it up as a bad job anyway - you're too old to be down wiv da kids on Twitter..."

stopdoingstuff

There is nothing wrong with saying ************************************ if the context is right, but some people use context as an excuse to say ************************************ as often as possible, and ****************************************** don't like that.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies