A budget suggestion

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
This thread can be a suggestion box for anyone who has any bright ideas regarding this budget. I'll kick off with...

(1) Common Sense Exceptions That Will Save Money (needs a snappier title):
If you are going to be cut, but you can demonstrate that this cut will result in the state paying even more instead of less, you can have an exception made.
Example:
If they cut my daughter's special needs assistant, my girl would end up having to go to a special school, which would be 20 miles away and she would need transport. When there she would probably end up having a SNA after all.

(2) Quick easy putting your business "on ice" to claim dole for a spell:
If you are a sole trader and you have run out of contracts, and want to claim the dole, first you have to wind up your business permanently. This takes time and costs money. Then a few weeks or months later, if a contract comes your way, you can't take it because your business is gone. I have met people who this has happened to.
You should be able to "freeze" your business temporarily, with little or no paperwork, to get the dole when you need it, then be able to swing back into action at a moment's notice if more work comes your way.

(3) Import substitution tax break:
If you are going into business to supply goods or services that will replace those being imported, you should have some sort of kick-start by way of a tax break. Though maybe this is against EU rules?

(4) Tax the rich, tax the banks until they die, confiscate all ghost estates, put the developers bankers and politicians on trial, and re-introduce the death penalty, preferably by public guillotine.
Well it's what people are thinking. It deserves to be thought trough to the final outcome.

Do you really expect FF and the Greens to adopt a common sense approach?

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Do you really expect FF and the Greens to adopt a common sense approach?
General wailing and gnashing of teeth can be done on many other threads. Let's have some ideas on this one, or even a useful critique of other people's ideas.

PrinceMax

(4) Tax the rich, tax the banks until they die, confiscate all ghost estates, put the developers bankers and politicians on trial, and re-introduce the death penalty, preferably by public guillotine.
Well it's what people are thinking. It deserves to be thought trough to the final outcome.

Where are the banks going to get money to pay tax? From the taxpayer presumably.

As for taxing the rich - there aren't that many rich people in the country. Hardly enough to solve our deficit.

The budget should be implemented in such a way that whatever percentage needs to be cut overall, should be cut equally from every area of expenditure.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Something I've said time and time again. I know it's only a small thing in our hour of crisis, but we've helped the banks so much, we (the state) should take back the historical buildings on College Green and Dame Street. They should never have got into the Bank Of Ireland's hands.

PrinceMax

Something I've said time and time again. I know it's only a small thing in our hour of crisis, but we've helped the banks so much, we (the state) should take back the historical buildings on College Green and Dame Street. They should never have got into the Bank Of Ireland's hands.
That's a good idea alright.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
I read we have to give 0.7% of our cash to foreign aid by 2015.

So we could stop all foreign aid in the 2010-2013 budget and then increase it to 0.7% in the 2014 budget, and then reduce it to zero again, meeting our "obligation" to subsidise corrupt third world regimes healthcare and education budgets.

Charities could take out loans to cover themselves in case of a shortfall and pay back these loans with the once off 2015 payment.

Can you imagine Lenny saying; 'This would amount to savings of two thousand eight hundred million EUSSRos over 4 years'.

Last edited:

oddsox

MY 3 wishes,,
1, Abandon metro north for another day ( a pop of 1 million does not justify the spend)
2, Road tax should be abolished and should be tagged on to fuel ( makes collection automatic,,,,less waste of Garda, Court, DPP, Traffic corps time,,, less staff needed at co co offices,,, tax collected from non Irish cars ) with that saving of human resource more tax spent on what it was collected for
3, One pension only on public reps and an average salary of pan euro reps taken and reduce by 5%,, being very generous there.

EvotingMachine0197

2, Road tax should be abolished and should be tagged on to fuel ( makes collection automatic,,,,less waste of Garda, Court, DPP, Traffic corps time,,, less staff needed at co co offices,,, tax collected from non Irish cars ) with that saving of human resource more tax spent on what it was collected for
I like that one. It does make a lot of sense.

The argument against it is that it hurts commercial activity a lot more than the current set up.

EvotingMachine0197

I think we had a thread on that some time ago Quiz.

PrinceMax

We need everything to be cut by the exact same percentage, to stop people coming out and suggesting they're being targeted more than others.

Also, RTE should be closed down and the television license fee refunded. In the run up to Christmas it would be a great idea, to get people spending.

johndodger

This thread can be a suggestion box for anyone who has any bright ideas regarding this budget. I'll kick off with...

(1) Common Sense Exceptions That Will Save Money (needs a snappier title):
If you are going to be cut, but you can demonstrate that this cut will result in the state paying even more instead of less, you can have an exception made.
Example:
If they cut my daughter's special needs assistant, my girl would end up having to go to a special school, which would be 20 miles away and she would need transport. When there she would probably end up having a SNA after all.
Cutting across the board enivitably leads to higher costs in some areas and waste in others. I know of numerous examples of this. It is lazy (in some cases populist) short term thinking typical of this Government.

The ONLY way to achieve real sustainable savings is to implement root and branch reform, indentify areas of waste and target the cuts there.

(2) Quick easy putting your business "on ice" to claim dole for a spell:
If you are a sole trader and you have run out of contracts, and want to claim the dole, first you have to wind up your business permanently. This takes time and costs money. Then a few weeks or months later, if a contract comes your way, you can't take it because your business is gone. I have met people who this has happened to.
You should be able to "freeze" your business temporarily, with little or no paperwork, to get the dole when you need it, then be able to swing back into action at a moment's notice if more work comes your way.
What is really needed are incentives to employment.

(3) Import substitution tax break:
If you are going into business to supply goods or services that will replace those being imported, you should have some sort of kick-start by way of a tax break. Though maybe this is against EU rules?
Probably. After all, we are an export driven economy, so would we want other countries following suit?

Just when I taught you were being serious. How will the country survive without banks? Most if not all the ghost estates are already owned by the state. I agree that those developers, bankers and politicians who caused this mess should be made to pay, but not by public lynching!

afns1

Pensions are 39.7% of PS pay bill - look at them

I'd like to start a new thread on this but don't have the posts.

Anyway, current PS workers have taken two hits in their take-home pay in last couple of years (reduction in last budget and pension levy). Pensioners are on the highest level from 2007/2008. Given the PS pension bill is 39.7% of the total bill, it needs to be looked at.

Only way is up for pension burden - The Irish Times - Fri, Nov 05, 2010

Public service pensioners have prospered over the past decade in relation to those still on the public payroll, the average pension increasing by 86 per cent in nominal terms, 36.5 per cent in real terms (inflation-adjusted to the end of 2009), from €11,612 in 2000 to €21,612 this year, while average public sector pay increased 42 per cent nominally but just 4 per cent in real terms, from €38,311 to €54,338 this year.
Public service pensioner numbers have risen by 63.7 per cent over past 10 years, 36 per cent over the past four years alone. Public service payroll numbers, by contrast, have risen by 35 per cent in that time, and by 6 per cent over the past four years. As a percentage of the public service pay bill, the pension bill increased from 30.3 per cent in 2000 to 39.7 per cent this year.

50% Cuts to Pensions, and unemployment Social Welfare with 30% cuts to all other social welfare over 6 years.

Child benefit to be means tested.

Pensions to be means tested.

State public pensions to be capped at €60,000 per year.

30% Cuts to Public sector Wages

Cap on Public Sector wages to a maximum €150,000

Allow Anglo bank and AIB to collapse.

Inform the world that Ireland will support BOI only.

Default on all national debt, negotiate with bond holders on repayments that are affordable and reasonable by the State.

Councils to take control of all housing stock that is in a good state or in need of little repair.

Reduce the minimum wage to €5.00 per hour

Lower Corporation tax to 6% for 3 years to encourage new investment.

Lower VAT to 17.5% to encourage investment and counter act against the UK increase to 20.5%

2 year PRSI Freeze on employers employing new staff.

Ending of housing rents, all people who rent privately can now take up social housing from the empty housing stock around the country.

Bring in new bankruptcy laws.

Maximum bankruptcy of 6 months for all debts below €100,000
Maximum bankruptcy of 12 months for all debts below €200,000
Maximum of 18 months for all debts below €400,000
Maximum of 24 months for all debts over €400,000

For anyone loosing their home through bankruptcy, they can immediately be housed on the new social hosuing from local councils who have taken ownership of empty housing stock.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
MY 3 wishes,,
1, Abandon metro north for another day ( a pop of 1 million does not justify the spend)
3, One pension only on public reps and an average salary of pan euro reps taken and reduce by 5%,, being very generous there.
1. I was to understand that metro noth would be entirely funded by the private sector. Have you other information?

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Just when I taught you were being serious. How will the country survive without banks? Most if not all the ghost estates are already owned by the state. I agree that those developers, bankers and politicians who caused this mess should be made to pay, but not by public lynching!
I am being serious. The reason I put it up there is so it could be kicked around to see what it really means. Most people you talk to will come up with some such thing. Instead of dissing them, I like to probe it with them to see what they think it might achieve. Usually they haven't thought it through.

hammer

Can anyone give me the breakdown of the €14 billion budget adjustments for the last 2 years :)

Amazing that in 2010 the income is €30 billion and the expenditure €50 billion but we`ve had a €14 billion adjustment :) :)

eyeSpy

scheme to move people voluntarily and at no cost from the countryside to more efficient living in a ghost estate of more efficient homes near a village, town or city.

oddsox

telemachus
There is no definite,, all options are still on the table,,,, if any at all,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and if they don't get the footfall who will have to fork out?

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
People on the housing list, who have building skills, be given ghost estate houses and will work to restore/complete them in lieu of rent.
Or they could be working on finishing the roads and green area in the estate. Some of this work would not require building skills.
During this time they can keep their dole, or part dole or something.

New Threads

Most Replies