A chance to change rules of development game

alonso

Good article by NIRSA's ( National Institute for Regional and Spatial Analysis -NUIM) Brendan Gleeson in today's IT

Becalmed by recession, Ireland now has the time to reform a planning process that has been more sport than system
The horrible legacies of the boom storm – the ruined rural and coastal vistas – will continue to discomfit native and visitor alike for a very long time.
Yet work is under way to overhaul the demented institutional “normality” that produced this. The recent Planning Development Act 2010 seems a major advance, reining in municipal development “control” systems. Hopefully this signals a stronger voice and role for Irish planners. Their sound advice was too often trampled upon during the crazy-brave days of the tiger.
Finally, the Department of Finance must acknowledge the importance of stronger planning to Ireland’s economic renewal. History, including your own recent experience, makes this clear: laissez-faire land development always ends in tears
A chance to change rules of development game - The Irish Times - Tue, Nov 09, 2010

I agree entirely with the thrust of this article and I think it's extremely important also to note that Ireland is not the only country in the world to suffer at the hands of corruption in planning and development. The parallels with Gleeson's native Australia are very interesting. I've been banging on about this on here for a long time, even see my sig below, and i'm glad to see it in the mainstream press.

I think the last point is the most pertinent. Good planning is good for the economy. You need to be quite dim at this stage not to see the link between bad and corrupt planning over the last 2 decades and the total and utter collapse in the Irish economy and society.

The new Act will go a long way to insert sense into the brains of Councillors around the country (seeing as the ghost estates, 13% unemployment, the need for NAMA and emigration don't seem to have) who have helped destroy the landscape by rezoning flood plains, habitats and sites on the edges of every village in Ireland.

Mushroom

May I add the recent comments of the prominent Fianna Fail intellectual (and former Fáilte Ireland appointee) Paudie O'Shea, to this thread?

"I also believe that, in rural Ireland, we are being bamboozled by laws and regulations. You can do this and you can't do that. Small farmers are being ridiculed when they look for planning permission to build a house for a son or a daughter on their own land. Common sense has to come back."

That's what you're up against. :-(

alonso

May I add the recent comments of the prominent Fianna Fail intellectual (and former Fáilte Ireland appointee) Paudie O'Shea, to this thread?

"I also believe that, in rural Ireland, we are being bamboozled by laws and regulations. You can do this and you can't do that. Small farmers are being ridiculed when they look for planning permission to build a house for a son or a daughter on their own land. Common sense has to come back."

That's what you're up against. :-(
Indeed you may.

The days of even trying to compromise to the logic applied above are over. Small farmers are being ridiculed because their engineer sons, their solicitor daughters, who all work in the nearest large urban areas 20 km away want, desire, would love, to live in a massive house in the countryside while sucking their livelihood from urban Ireland, while demanding broadband, post, electricity, hospitals, GP services and roads of a standard on a par with cities. The days of the "rurban" lifestyle are over.

Common sense has never, ever, been applied in planning in this country. Greed, gombeenism, corruption and bragging rights have ruled for as long as i can tell.

It;s gonna be a massive fight between planning professionals and the Paudies of this world but I'm sure we;re up for it. We have all the evidence, everyone does - it's headline news every day. If the destruction of the environment, which started over 20 years ago, EU fines, urban sprawl, long distance commuting and congestion could not convince the Paudies in the last 10 years, perhaps, just perhaps, NAMA, ghost estates, overzoning and the ongoing socio-economic malaise in our communities, will.

G

Gimpanzee

It;s gonna be a massive fight between planning professionals and the Paudies of this world but I'm sure we;re up for it. We have all the evidence, everyone does - it's headline news every day. If the destruction of the environment, which started over 20 years ago, EU fines, urban sprawl, long distance commuting and congestion could not convince the Paudies in the last 10 years, perhaps, just perhaps, NAMA, ghost estates, overzoning and the ongoing socio-economic malaise in our communities, will.
Hmm, good luck with that.

New Threads

Most Replies