A comparison of the Verona & Loraine cases

yosef shompeter

AND

This discussion will meet with the disapproval of many in mainstream politics. Why so?
Because the two mainstream parties are vigorously trying to sweep it all under the carpet.

I'm talking about the Loraine Clifford Lee case, the lady FF hopeful canvassing in Fingal. It appears that seven years back she made disparaging remarks about the travellers and also about a black Brazilian dwarf
(make that undersized person) who sat beside her on the bus.

The fly on FG's ointment is their aspiring lady TD for Wexford, Verona Murphy. She's not long out of the hatches at all -- quite new to politics I believe but she believes that Asylum seekers should be screened for
their previous Isis activities.

It's noteworthy that both political parties are doing their best to "rehabilitate" these errant errant candidates and have not requested them to resign. I guess a false start at the first jump could be fatal for the coming election where every TD counts.

Striking in my view is the vigour of Ireland's "Thought Police" who trolled back seven years in the case of Loraine to find some mud.
be careful of what you tweet or email. It lasts for a long time.

yosef shompeter

Aaah! I should have mentioned.
For someone to mention that those seeking asylum have an Isis connection, well that has already been well documented: Several of the terrorists in France and Germany -- and Sweden too applied for asylum before going on to murder people. Am I saying that All Syrians are Isis members ? No I'm simply saying that Isis and Al Quaida will play the Asylum card if it's convenient to furthering their agenda.
In among the asylum seekers -- I suppose it would be similar to the Iriish and the troubles. You have those against the republican movement and who might have joined the British Army , those who sympathize with the Ra and yes, a few who were active members.

Catahualpa

Website
irelandinhistory.blogspot.com
Newbie Politicians are hearing this on the doorsteps and testing the waters to see what happens

- the older hands are more wary of enduring the wrath of Party HQ and losing ministerial backing

- and more importantly badly needed centralised funds to fuel their campaigns

But this one will grow and grow...

james toney

When the coalition of Fine Gael and Fianna Fail pretend they are not racist then the Irish people are in a bad place.....why believe the obvious? The media have a lot to answer for also.

Dame_Enda

I'm thinking of voting for her to put the MSM in their place.

Rural

I hear you're a racist now Verona.

Orbit v2

I understand Verona was hand picked by Leo. She is successful in other fields, is from Wexford and is a woman obviously, which is helpful from a gender balance perspective. This is the trouble with political neophytes though. They aren't politicians and you just don't know what they are going to say.

Lorraine Clifford-Lee is a stranger case and more of an FF self inflicted shot in the foot. She has been around for much longer in Fingal and has the bruises to show from previous spats in politics. But, I cant understand how nobody in a party the size of FF checks social media for this stuff. Though, it has to be said she was a fully grown adult when she said it. So, you do wonder.

McTell

Twitter
No
If public money is being spent, then it has to be capable of being discussed in the Dáil.

They apologised, nobody died.

Dame_Enda

Flanagan is becoming tiresome with all this virtue signalling about apologising for Murphy where in my opinion none is needed.

McTell

Twitter
No
There was a famous obscenity debate in the 1940s, where excerpts were read out, but removed from the Dáil record because they were "immoral". We can't go back to that sort of holier-than-thou self censorship.

recedite

Maybe Verona put 2 + 2 together, and got 4.
The interior ministry said 20 IS fighters from Germany, France, Ireland and Denmark were also being expelled.
Turkey wants to repatriate some 2,500 militants - most to EU countries - state broadcaster TRT Haber said.
Turkey's president said 7,600 people from 102 countries held in the fight against IS had already been deported.

yosef shompeter

The talk to Joe show -- lifeline did a take on the poor lorry drivers who ply the Calais Dover routes and to them it was a nightmare. They get very heavily fined if any stowaways are caught on board their trucks. Incidentally, Verona Murphy, who is now standing for election spent years as a Pr for the hauliers and it would appear that she knows something about what she's saying when dealing with asylum seekers.
Needless to say the gushing and expressions of horror of the RTE and virtue signalling crwwdds

Orbit v2

There seems to be a view out there that Maria Bailey is being treated harshly compared to Murphy. I find that hard to get. Bailey potentially committed a criminal offence exaggerating an insurance claim, and swearing an affidavit that turned out to be false, but Murphy said something stupid, albeit on a subject that the establishment is doing its best to shutdown, and ban all unapproved commentary on.

There was someone on Sean O'Rourke's program today who said "what kind of signal does it give if Murphy were to get elected now"? Maybe, that people don't like being lectured to by the Dublin media. There's nothing surer to provoke the rise of fringe political movements, when the middle ground is afraid to raise or talk about sincere even if unjustified concerns that people have, and that such conversations are shutdown with accusations of racism.

wombat

There was someone on Sean O'Rourke's program today who said "what kind of signal does it give if Murphy were to get elected now"? Maybe, that people don't like being lectured to by the Dublin media. There's nothing surer to provoke the rise of fringe political movements, when the middle ground is afraid to raise or talk about sincere even if unjustified concerns that people have, and that such conversations are shutdown with accusations of racism.
We saw that happen with Casey in the presidential election. I heard O'Riordan from Labour with his "no free speech for traitors" line until Sean O'Rourke telling him he only wants people who agree with him on "Public Service Broadcasting". Teresa Ready? pointed out that Casey was unable to repeat his success when he ran for Europe - Irish people tend to be fair minded and most have relatives who emigrated so they won't be anti immigrant.

yosef shompeter

We saw that happen with Casey in the presidential election. I heard O'Riordan from Labour with his "no free speech for traitors" line until Sean O'Rourke telling him he only wants people who agree with him on "Public Service Broadcasting". Teresa Ready? pointed out that Casey was unable to repeat his success when he ran for Europe - Irish people tend to be fair minded and most have relatives who emigrated so they won't be anti immigrant.
There is another possible explanation for Casey's success in the presidential stakes. Perhaps 20% - 25% are disposed towards his view that Joe Soap is being screwed by the govt. But that 30% is dispersed throughout the country. In a presidential election -- how could I put it -- there is only one constituency. The national vote. So the 30% would appear prominently in the figures. Local constituencies are more complicated by local issues, personality and party politics. I can imagine Justin Barrett's national party getting maybe 5% of the national vote -- a shame is not more photogenic like Nigel over in the UK... but not a sinner of his platform will get passed the quota.

yosef shompeter

Some RTE comments from yesterday gave the view that Verona and possibly Loraine are not little girls who committed venial sins and had to be brought to their first confession. They are the dissenting voices within FG and FF that -- once they get elected -- will lean more towards the sentiments of Peter Casey. Or failing that, will be pretty schtumm and lacking in enthusiasm for the policy of the great replacement.
But it really is a weird situation. The cheerleaders of it all are the overpaid media, some egg-heads in the dept of Finance who believe Ireland's growth depends on some combination of Labour (immigrants) and Capital, and perhaps some human rights enthusiasts from the EU. As to why and what benefit this country should get from having 50% or more third world applicants on the North Dublin housing list is something I can't even begin to fathom.

Popular Threads

Most Replies