• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

A Conference of the Left ?

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Was at the excellent Lockout conference on Saturday and was reading I think Eoin O'Murchu's article in An Phoblacht and he mentioned that maybe that SF should organize a conference of the left in Ireland. Obviously the SP and SWP, left ward independents such as Finian McGrath etc though personally I wouldn't invite Labour as their no more left than Fine Gael, maybe Penrose or Nutly or some of the rebel Labour and of course the trade unions. Your thoughts folks ?

Honecker

There's a lot of people who would dispute SF's leftwing credentials. It's not that long ago Martin McGuinness was kissing corporate arse over in Wall St with Paisley. In 2007 SF in the south ran on the same lines as the 3 main parties and aimed to go into coalition with FF. It was only after the financial collapse and when the Bank Guarantee looked a bad idea that SF decided they were left. SF aren't that fussy about left or right as long as it means power.

Warren Poynt

What's the point in Sinn Fein, a right wing populist party , organising a conference of the left in Ireland ?

Leave that to latter-day Marxists and mal-contents like The Minger Flanagan, Worzel Gummidge's girl friend, Clare Daly, Uncle Joe and Rich Boy Barrett, true blue left wingers every one of them.

hiding behind a poster

No-one will turn up.

Ceannaire

There would be potential for such a Conference; however, earlier posters are correct in that Sinn Féin's left credentials are highly dubious. This is a party which is calling for corporate tax to be slashed by half in the North. So I would say that it shouldn't be organised by a single party, although members of any party could come. They needn't represent their party per se, so questions as to whether or not the party is to be defined as left-wing could be averted.

The corollary of this is that it would make it harder to organise in the absence of a single party behind it; it would be a question of party members and non-aligned political activists having to come together. This organisational side would be likely to be more problematic, although it needn't present an insurmountable obstacle.

Can anyone think of a comparable event?

hiding behind a poster

It'd probably start with a 3-day seminar on the definition of "left-wing", which would eventually break up without agreement.

OurBoy

we could start with a 3hr lecture by Eoin O'Broin on Dialectical Materialism and the course of history followed by a few training sessions on training for transformation political education classes.

Analyzer

One thing that will definitely be on the menu....champagne.

And maybe the odd hot whiskey if anybody is getting the flu.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
There would be potential for such a Conference; however, earlier posters are correct in that Sinn Féin's left credentials are highly dubious. This is a party which is calling for corporate tax to be slashed by half in the North. So I would say that it shouldn't be organised by a single party, although members of any party could come. They needn't represent their party per se, so questions as to whether or not the party is to be defined as left-wing could be averted.

The corollary of this is that it would make it harder to organise in the absence of a single party behind it; it would be a question of party members and non-aligned political activists having to come together. This organisational side would be likely to be more problematic, although it needn't present an insurmountable obstacle.

Can anyone think of a comparable event?
Wel the recent Lockout conference I mentioned I think is a comparable event. http://www.politics.ie/forum/events/206900-sinn-fein-conference-century-workers-struggle-1913-2013-march-2nd.html

We had various people speaking at it, some I would describe as no friends of the Irish people and not just SF i.e. Jack O'Connor. Eammon Dunphy chaired one of the discussions, again someone not noted for his fondness of SF. Others there were economist Conor McCabe, workers from the Vita Cortex, Lagan Brick etc One very interesting speaker was a shop steward from Dublin Bus who rightfully mentioned about SF's criticism of Labour in coalition while forgetting they also were in coalition in the six counties and introducing cuts etc. SF speakers acknowledged so and encouraged anyone if they had criticism of SF to speak openly, that was the purpose of the conference.

Their was no SWP, SP or CPI etc. Whether they weren't invited or refused to participate I cannot say.

Last edited:

Ed O'Leary

hope they have a lot of chairpersons chairs - they're going to need one for everybody in the audience too.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
hope they have a lot of chairpersons chairs - they're going to need one for everybody in the audience too.
.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz