A conundrum for a would be Christian

derryman

Many years past I was once wronged by a potential client. He commissioned myself to build his house for him. I sketched up plans and on his approval I had a draughtsman complete these and presented them to.my client complete with cost and contract. He was delighted and we agreed that he would come back to me shortly and we could start the project. Time passed and I never heard from him. Later I happened to drive past the site location and to my amazement the house which i had designed was nearing completion. To cut a long story short, the now ex client refused to reimburse me for my outlay ,€ 600Aud. Later at a meeting of our builders association legal advisors assured me that I was absolutely guaranteed that if I were to instigate proceedings I would win a minimum of 75g. I discussed this with my wife and conscience and concluded that it just didn't seem right, so we let it pass.
Fast forward some 30 odd years and here I am again being advised by a first class legal team that I am guaranteed a considerable pay out for breach of contract by another client. I know in my heart that I am within my legal rights to pursue this claim and that I will most likely win. But, my conscience is niggling.
The party with whom I have the contention, would not feel the cost of any settlement it would be only hip pocket change to them but would be considerable to myself and would be a great asset to my family. So why am I finding this such a difficult thing to do?

greengoose2

Many years past I was once wronged by a potential client. He commissioned myself to build his house for him. I sketched up plans and on his approval I had a draughtsman complete these and presented them to.my client complete with cost and contract. He was delighted and we agreed that he would come back to me shortly and we could start the project. Time passed and I never heard from him. Later I happened to drive past the site location and to my amazement the house which i had designed was nearing completion. To cut a long story short, the now ex client refused to reimburse me for my outlay ,€ 600Aud. Later at a meeting of our builders association legal advisors assured me that I was absolutely guaranteed that if I were to instigate proceedings I would win a minimum of 75g. I discussed this with my wife and conscience and concluded that it just didn't seem right, so we let it pass.
Fast forward some 30 odd years and here I am again being advised by a first class legal team that I am guaranteed a considerable pay out for breach of contract by another client. I know in my heart that I am within my legal rights to pursue this claim and that I will most likely win. But, my conscience is niggling.
The party with whom I have the contention, would not feel the cost of any settlement it would be only hip pocket change to them but would be considerable to myself and would be a great asset to my family. So why am I finding this such a difficult thing to do?
Integrity? There's more to life than money!

firefly123

Someone fuçk you over and gets away with it will go on to fuçk the next guy over, and the next, and the next, until he gets his slap. By not delivering the slap you are encouraging such behaviour. To quote the great philosopher katy perry if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for everything.

GDPR

If this guy isnt brought to book he will do it to someone else.

You might be able to forgive him, but you cant make that decision for other people.

"Just weights, just measures."

Sue his ass.

Strawberry

You should have sued the first guy, and you should definitely sue the second one. Why does your conscience say otherwise?

derryman

Integrity? There's more to life than money!
Thanks , i agree . However tbe party which has wronged me did so with full intent to defraud me, not only on this matter of Breach of contract but in other moneys owing. The have only come good with this after a legal threat to pursue.

derryman

Someone fuçk you over and gets away with it will go on to fuçk the next guy over, and the next, and the next, until he gets his slap. By not delivering the slap you are encouraging such behaviour. To quote the great philosopher katy perry if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for everything.
If this guy isnt brought to book he will do it to someone else.

You might be able to forgive him, but you cant make that decision for other people.

"Just weights, just measures."

Sue his ass.
Thanks, I had not thought of it like that. This party has done this many times before. In fact he has built an empire on it.

raetsel

Later at a meeting of our builders association legal advisors assured me that I was absolutely guaranteed that if I were to instigate proceedings I would win a minimum of 75g. I discussed this with my wife and conscience and concluded that it just didn't seem right, so we let it pass.
I cannot understand the legal advice you were were given because the statute of limitations in civil cases is six years, unless you are implying fraud was a factor.

derryman

You should have sued the first guy, and you should definitely sue the second one. Why does your conscience say otherwise?

I don't know, honestly.
I suppose it seems like the money would be undeserved because I have not sweated for it, or something like that.

GDPR

Thanks, I had not thought of it like that. This party has done this many times before. In fact he has built an empire on it.
Dont turn the other cheek.

Think of the other guy who cant afford to do that, or is not able to do that, or who will suffer tremendously from this bloke carrying on his merry way.

Strawberry

I don't know, honestly.
I suppose it seems like the money would be undeserved because I have not sweated for it, or something like that.
If you honestly feel that way then sue and give any money awarded to a charity. Allowing the wrongdoer to get away with fraud or whatever he's done is not a Christian act, its only allowing him to carry on and do the same to other people.

derryman

I cannot understand the legal advice you were were given because the statute of limitations in civil cases is six years, unless you are implying fraud was a factor.
There are two separate matters here one from 30 years ago, and the then advice which I did t act on. And a current one which advice I am attempting to decide upon.

Strawberry

I am still struggling with it. But it is something like, you haven't earned this , you can't miss what you have never had.
Derryman, seriously - virtually every ad break on the telly features charities crying out for funds. Everything from blind children in Africa to endangered Jaguars all in need of kind people to dig into their pockets, and you're hesitating to take money you're legally entitled to from a fraud? Take it and give it to people who need it and can put it to good use.

derryman

If you honestly feel that way then sue and give any money awarded to a charity. Allowing the wrongdoer to get away with fraud or whatever he's done is not a Christian act, its only allowing him to carry on and do the same to other people.

Hmm I like that idea.

Civic_critic2

I am still struggling with it. But it is something like, you haven't earned this , you can't miss what you have never had.
Well if that's how you feel then that's how you feel. You don't have to prove anything, including to people who demand you sue so as not to be taken advantage of. In business it is often wise not to get involved in any public issues becuase subsequently you are associated with trouble - that is a calculation you need to make. A guy I knew once posed a question to myself and a bunch of others about what he should have done when a woman threatened to sue his business for an alleged issue which she was being dishonest about. He just wanted to see what we had to say, he had already decided - he paid out, because the lack of potentially bad publicity around his business was worth more to him than stopping a scammer. He was sufficiently ruthless to separate the issues.

mr_anderson

I discussed this with my wife and conscience and concluded that it just didn't seem right, so we let it pass.

I'm an atheist.
About 20 years ago, I injured myself playing a sport.
By complete coincidence, the girl I was living with at that time was the insurance underwriter for the company that would, legally, be liable.
She told me straight out that if I threatened to sue and had x-ray confirmations of my breakage (which I had), they would settle for €25,000 and it wouldn't even go to court.

But I didn't.
Because sometimes you just scratch it up to 'life' & move on.

derryman

Well if that's how you feel then that's how you feel. You don't have to prove anything, including to people who demand you sue so as not to be taken advantage of. In business it is often wise not to get involved in any public issues becuase subsequently you are associated with trouble - that is a calculation you need to make. A guy I knew once posed a question to myself and a bunch of others about what he should have done when a woman threatened to sue his business for an alleged issue which she was being dishonest about. He just wanted to see what we had to say, he had already decided - he paid out, because the lack of potentially bad publicity around his business was worth more to him than stopping a scammer. He was sufficiently ruthless to separate the issues.

Well I have no concerns of bad publicity and I can well afford to finance the action. In truth I have nothing to lose, I can only win in all aspects. Locally I would be lauded for taking on this character he is not well thought of and has a reputation not to be aspired to.
But I am more concerned by what I will lose even if I win big time.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies