A "correction" to fake news

farnaby

There is a simple solution to fake news - a return to the virtues of "corrections & clarifications" - taking responsibility for factual errors or ambiguities and highlighting these.

Traditional media does not do this enough - often hiding minimal grudging corrections in small print at the back of the paper - but online media doesn't seem to do this at all. Breitbart relishes highlighting corrections when it 'proves' MSM bias, oblivious to the hypocrisy of not owning up to its own mistakes/lies. Same could be said for Huff Post.

Will it happen, that all media organisations take corrections and clarifications seriously?

Despite the depressing glut of bias-confirming infotainment, I believe there is hope - ultimately people will drift away from media they distrust; the stronger the tendency to admit and correct mistakes, the more trustworthy the organisation.

Half Nelson

A certain online news outlet in this parish was caught out changing a story that it had 'printed'. The change was caught thanks to an eagle-eyed piester and google cache.

Billixed

I can just see RTE's clarification now:

'We apologise for not telling you that the nice friendly Syrian rebels we've been talking about are in fact head-chopping members of Al Qaeda, but please still support them anyway'.

PeaceGoalie

I can just see RTE's clarification now:

'We apologise for not telling you that the nice friendly Syrian rebels we've been talking about are in fact head-chopping members of Al Qaeda, but please still support them anyway'.
Exactly. Correction gets printed on page 17, in small print. Remember Lyndon Johnson accusing his enemy of having sex with a pig and then sitting back to watch him deny it. "I did not have sex with that pig".

Again and again, we see that the liberals (Obama, the Clintons and their Irish clones) are far more fascistic than those they oppose. Correction for Iraq etc.

New Threads

Most Replies