A country in crisis, yet still very deeply in denial.

roc_

antiestablishmentarian said:
He was in the Dáil yesterday, apparently he got the slow handclap from a number of visitors if Miriam Lord is to be believed.
Nope. This is what happened:

"... Later in the day, a large group of visitors in the bar with Cork FF TD Michael Moynihan erupted into cheers when Bertie Ahern rambled in. The night ended with the parliamentary party meeting. For once, Brian Cowen did not do a barnstorming speech."

The Irish Times - Wed, Nov 24, 2010

Watch The Break

"... Later in the day, a large group of visitors in the bar with Cork FF TD Michael Moynihan erupted into cheers when Bertie Ahern rambled in. The night ended with the parliamentary party meeting. For once, Brian Cowen did not do a barnstorming speech."

The Irish Times - Wed, Nov 24, 2010
That's incredible.

Then again it was proved in a RedC poll last weekend that 17% of the population are technically what we would call 'morons'. We'll have to assume these simpletons hailed from that constituency.

Expose the lot of them

That's incredible.

Then again it was proved in a RedC poll last weekend that 17% of the population are technically what we would call 'morons'. We'll have to assume these simpletons hailed from that constituency.
Of course they are, they were guests of some bogger ffer, trip to Dublin, free drinks in de bar and a sighting of Bertie to round the day off, shame Biffo was no in the humour to give the "lakes" a lash!

Ah Well

Of course they are, they were guests of some bogger ffer, trip to Dublin, free drinks in de bar and a sighting of Bertie to round the day off, shame Biffo was no in the humour to give the "lakes" a lash!
I assume they were from Cork NW where Moynihan hails from, I'm ashamed to say. FF will return one TD from this Constituency and there will be 2FG most likes or a more distant possibility 1FG 1 LAB. There are enough die hard FFers so as to secure 1 seat for 'em.

Mushroom

"... Later in the day, a large group of visitors in the bar with Cork FF TD Michael Moynihan erupted into cheers when Bertie Ahern rambled in. "

I wonder what De Drumcondra Knacker was doing in the Dail Bar in November - didn't he always used to claim that he went off 'de drink' during November.

Of course - that's where the Dáil expense claim forms are kept!

slippy wicket

There will always be in-breds with Stockholm syndrome or man-crushes. Nothing can be done with such a mindset...
I wonder was oggy there :lol:

I am sure he would fit in well in that crowd.

hiker

Loyalty is a very strange and strong thing.
Some people become even more dogmatic in their beliefs when their backs are against the wall.

The people in that bar may well be the only FF members left in Cork.

deirdrem

I heard the following story recently from an acquaintance who paid a visit to Leinster house.
Earlier this year, an FF senator from the deep SouthWest was showing some of his constituents around the Dáil. Suddenly he called out "Taoiseach, Taoiseach".
Everyone looked around, but Brian Cowen was nowhere to be seen.
There was, however, a largish man from Drumcondra clearly in evidence.

Now is that proof of the chap being a gobshíte or what?

And yes, I know that senators don't actually have constituents ....

Nemi_

Then again it was proved in a RedC poll last weekend that 17% of the population are technically what we would call 'morons'.
I don't know. I'd suspect that 17% has a reasonably clear understand of what's in its self-interest. For the sake of argument, anyone who wants the rest of us to pay too much for property should certainly support FF.

Raketemensch

I don't know. I'd suspect that 17% has a reasonably clear understand of what's in its self-interest. For the sake of argument, anyone who wants the rest of us to pay too much for property should certainly support FF.
Pay for property with what exactly? Anyone who is not a multi-millionaire landowner/bankster and supports Fianna Fail is actng directly contrary to his or her interests, fact.

Everyone except the super rich is currently/will experience great hardship and family members lost forever because of the Fianna Fail Anglo traitor gang.
Maybe they are masochists:confused: Seems to be very common on the ould sod.

Nemi_

Pay for property with what exactly? Anyone who is not a multi-millionaire landowner/bankster and supports Fianna Fail is actng directly contrary to his or her interests, fact.
I wouldn't be quite so sure. I've always felt that its less about some high-powered elite, and more about quite a sizeable bunch of people (which could well be 17%) who do quite alright in this society, and have an interest in things staying pretty much the way they are.

How many people are employed in the banking sector? How many own property? Only a minority of households are in negative equity - and even they have a vested interest in property values being kept high.

So, no, I'm not convinced that people voting for FF are necessarily deluded. They might be as immune to caring about the other 83% as we are of them. But they are not necessarily deluded.

Ireland's a funny sort of place, and I'm not sure that angry guys who give out on internet forums represent all the interests in play. In fact, isn't the reason that we spend our time giving out here really because, in real life, we don't form part of any coherent social group and our views are largely irrelevant to how decisions are actually made in our society.

Does any really significant Irish political figure engage with the internet in any form? Would you wonder why not?

Most Replies